tornados coming towards orlando

looks like things are hopefully improving; my dad was supposed to fly home this morning from WDW but has been stuck in the airport all day- but just got notice that his plane is boarding at MCO :(- better than missing a park day- sorry for y'all that are stuck even in deluxes today- not exactly an ideal Disney day.

We were there all last week, under beautiful skies, until Monday when it poured buckets on us at Epcot. My heart goes out to all of you there right now, under such dreadful weather. Hope you can find wonderful things to do and enjoy, and hope the storm passes soon and you're back to sunny skies.

We are back under at tornado watch until 8 pm, so looks like I'll probably be chillin' here tonight unless things change drastically. Well, I guess it could be worse... I went down for lunch at the food court and ended up meeting the most fantastic 77 year old lady. We talked for 2 hours. She's been here every year since 1971 and is as much of a Disney fanatic as I am, so it made for a great afternoon. :banana:

What a nice way to spend a scary-weather afternoon at WDW. Good for you two making the best of the situation.

We were at Epcot today and it really wasn't a big deal. We had already done WS and were just trying to get through FW. Crowds were extremely light. We got lucky and we seemed to get lucky and catch the breaks in the weather when it was time to move between buildings. The wettest we got was in a downpour on our way to the car about 5 p.m. Of course, we spent about 2 hours in La Cava de tequila.:worship:

We are back under at tornado watch until 8 pm, so looks like I'll probably be chillin' here tonight unless things change drastically. Well, I guess it could be worse... I went down for lunch at the food court and ended up meeting the most fantastic 77 year old lady. We talked for 2 hours. She's been here every year since 1971 and is as much of a Disney fanatic as I am, so it made for a great afternoon. :banana:

That's so awesome that you met a new Disney pal - I bet you made her day too! Funny how a miserable day can have a bright spot isn't it!?

Wow it does sound like a Typical Iowa day down there. Stay safe everyone! I hate tornado warnings, even as a teenager my parents would have to make sure I knew the sirens were just "testing". stay safe!!

My heart goes out to all of you there during this weather...we were there last Friday through Tuesday am, so Monday was our last park day - and it poured, with gusty winds and the occasional lightning bolt. What a bummer to be inside all day. I hope the weather provides a break for you soon!

We are from Cincinnati and very used to severe weather and tornadoes but today's storm was nuts! We were going to spend half of the day at DHS and then head to family's house in Venice, FL. We woke up to the ominous forecast this morning and decided to just pack up and head back to Venice, FL. Well if you look at the map the route from Orlando to Venice is I4 west to Tampa and then I75 south. The whole way there was a white-knuckled terror! We arrived on the scene on I75 moments after a tornado had just overturned two tractor trailers, (same cell that flipped the airplanes and collapsed the tent) there was debris all over the highway. I have never been so glad to get out of a car in my life. It's still storming here now. I am starting to take it personally, on the way down to FL last weekend we were in tornadoes in Georgia 50 miles north of Macon. Sure hope the trip home doesn't involve storm-chasing!

i will put up with our snow anytime. i can't begin to think how nuts it must be down there when this is going on. stay safe and indoors. are there still toronados in central florida now.

We saw the sun for the first time today at around 7:45 tonight in Tampa. It looks like the majority of the storms are now coming ashore to the south (Sarasota area). Orlando is pretty much in the clear now too. I've lived here my whole life and those were some of the worst storms I've seen that weren't part of a hurricane. It looks like we should have a nice and sunny weekend...we some sun to dry off!

We were at Epcot today and it really wasn't a big deal. We had already done WS and were just trying to get through FW. Crowds were extremely light. We got lucky and we seemed to get lucky and catch the breaks in the weather when it was time to move between buildings. The wettest we got was in a downpour on our way to the car about 5 p.m. Of course, we spent about 2 hours in La Cava de tequila.:worship:

LOL, now this is where I'd like to be "stuck" during a storm:rotfl: Darn, guess I have to drink another frozen strawberry margarita!!:rotfl2:

We are from Cincinnati and very used to severe weather and tornadoes but today's storm was nuts! We were going to spend half of the day at DHS and then head to family's house in Venice, FL. We woke up to the ominous forecast this morning and decided to just pack up and head back to Venice, FL. Well if you look at the map the route from Orlando to Venice is I4 west to Tampa and then I75 south. The whole way there was a white-knuckled terror! We arrived on the scene on I75 moments after a tornado had just overturned two tractor trailers, (same cell that flipped the airplanes and collapsed the tent) there was debris all over the highway. I have never been so glad to get out of a car in my life. It's still storming here now. I am starting to take it personally, on the way down to FL last weekend we were in tornadoes in Georgia 50 miles north of Macon. Sure hope the trip home doesn't involve storm-chasing!

:scared1: OMG how scary. So glad that you made it safetly.

We were there one year when terrible storms rolled in and they issued a tornado watch for the area so I had the bright idea to go to DTD.:confused3 We pulled into the parking lot and just as we got out a huge lightning bolt hit. I turned around because I thought DH and my son had been hit it was so close. Never again will I take their warnings lightly.

I live just north of the city, and we had 60-70 mph winds both last night, this morning, and very briefly this evening. Lived through a ton of hurricanes with 24 years in FL, but tbh, very few of those were more fierce than this line of storms. Crazy!! Straight-line winds all over the place, horizontal rain, horizontal HAIL, tons of lightning up here (I guess not as many strikes down by WDW, but it was non-stop here)... really glad I wasn't down at the parks today!

wow. people living in the mid west and south have some bad weather. i don't think i could handle going thru what you go thru. all we have is cold weather and maybe a 100 inches of snow a year. not bad. cleans up in one day and were good to go.

please stay safe and i hope you have no more bad weather. hey why not watch thursday night baseball on espn at the espn club.

Working all day in this storm was NOT fun, lol. I was soaked, even though I had my raingear on. We weren't able to have the umbrellas up around our outside positions because of the wind, so we basically had no cover if we were outside.
Although yesterday's storm was kinda worse because it came out of nowhere, and the wind was AWFUL.

SO happy to be back home, inside, in my PJs, haha.

Amen, now thats how to ride a storm out disney style properly!!!

god bless yall!

I hope all are safe. I am glad that we have this to communicate about the storms. I hope everyone made the best of their stay

Just heard the National Weather Service confirmed what we saw was an ef1 tornado on the ground in Lakeland, thank goodness because driving through it wasn't evidence enough! :-) We saw two overturned semis on I75 and one overturned SUV.
tornado.jpg

Everytime for me it has been business as usual, besides outdoor rides or trains where the visitor is open to the elements. Disney takes safety very seriously. I don’t know if anyone confirm this, but I have heard rumors that they will bring guests underground in MK in the event of a true tornado warning.

lol, no. We do not. You'd be looking at bombs dropping over head first.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter