Torn meniscus with locking knee?

maslex

DIS Veteran
So I THINK I may have torn my meniscus this morning. (I've done it before so I know the pain/lack of movement etc)

But this time, it's a little different in the fact that I cannot for the life of me straighten my knee. Getting up out of the chair is almost impossible.

Just wondering if anyone else has ever had this type of injury (locking knee and not being able to straighten it)?

And I can't go to my orthopedic because we're in the middle of a big snow storm and they are closed (as is my reg doctor) I'm assuming I'll need an MRI and I'll call first thing tomorrow morning.

But for those that may had this type of injury before, what did you do to be able to straighten it? Did you end up doing PT? Did you end up with surgery?

I had this happen years ago. MRI showed that the tear was big and pieces of the meniscus had gotten into the joint. I had to have surgery to remove it and repair everything. Hope this isn't the case for you. And I'm sorry if it is!

My mom had this somewhat and she also had a buckling knee with it. Definitely was a torn meniscus for her and a pretty significant one.

I had this happen years ago. MRI showed that the tear was big and pieces of the meniscus had gotten into the joint. I had to have surgery to remove it and repair everything. Hope this isn't the case for you. And I'm sorry if it is!
how long after your injury was your surgery? and how long were you down and out for?

how long after your injury was your surgery? and how long were you down and out for?
Surgery was like two weeks later. It was pretty obvious what was going to have to happen, so they went ahead and put me on the schedule. In the meantime, they tried ice, rest, brace, light PT, drugs, etc. and it didn't get any better (as expected). It was about two months before I could do much day to day activity without crutches, and probably nine months or so before it was fully healed and I had no restrictions on movement. I had PT that entire time, but the sessions went from three times a week, to two, to one as things improved.

My experience was nearly identical to Disneefun. About 10 years ago the meniscus got caught in the joint and couldn't come out. My knee was stuck bent and I was in excruciating pain trying to straighten it. Literally had to hobble to get to a doctor where an MRI showed I had a major tear of the lateral meniscus.

Surgery was scheduled to go in and remove it but I was fortunate my orthopedic surgeon saw it could be scraped up to keep blood flowing (10 years ago so I may be muddying the waters here) and repaired the meniscus instead. Good for the long term, but meant worse recovery in the short term. My surgeon kept me in a full leg immobilizer for 6-8 weeks and only then could I start PT. PT lasted a few months to bring range of motion as close to my other knee's range as possible. While I have always been told I could do anything from running to skiing, I try to avoid more extreme things like that as every once in awhile I get a slightly uncomfortable feeling and I'm truthfully afraid of going through that experience again. It's a pain I never want to feel.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter