Torn About Our Upcoming Stay At The Poly

i am going in august and have the same reservations, no pun intended! we have a few other families who booked to be there at the same time as us so we are just staying put, it would be too much to ask to have everyone change. we got a great rate and my kids have been begging to go back to the poly since our 2010 stay. if the rates go up astronomically after construction is finished and it isn't worth it for us to stay there again, then at least we can say we took them back one more time!

we are garden view CL so the worst possible view because of the east pool construction. i kept imagining that we would be looking right into a big empty hole surrounded by construction vehicles so i finally looked up the room views. most of the rooms can't even see the pool through the foliage. then i thought more and realized that when we stayed in that category in 2010 you totally could not see the east pool at all from our room. i feel much better now.

we checked into fiji at 10:30 this morning and this is what was outside our balcony all day long today:

17383820692_680aae0d85_c.jpg

yep, a maintenance worker in a cherry picker. directly in front of our balcony.

and the machineS were left parked there overnight, so i'm assuming this work will continue for at least another day.

i'm not going to try to get them to move us but i am going to say something to front desk.

Last edited:
we checked into fiji at 10:30 this morning and this is what was outside our balcony all day long today:

and the machineS were left parked there overnight, so i'm assuming this work will continue for at least another day.

i'm not going to try to get them to move us but i am going to say something to front desk.

Well, at least he is not ON your balcony! We woke up one morning to someone working ON our balcony at the YC!! Yikes!
We had the patio door and curtains open and felt it was OK as we were on the 5th floor!

We moved resorts after that! It felt very intrusive. This is one reason why we NEVER knowingly stay at a resort with construction anymore.

Not everyone sleeps in like we do on vacation, however!

Last edited:

What are they working on? I thought the only construction left was the East Pool. That looks like it's on the other side.

What are they working on? I thought the only construction left was the East Pool. That looks like it's on the other side.

we're on the side heading towards luau cove and the grand floridian- i can't tell if they're pruning trees or fixing the roof.

the cherry pickers are still parked right in front of our balcony

I would flip if I paid for a theme park view and instead got construction workers and their droopy pants in a cherry picker

they're painting the roof, mainly the eaves, which is why they're at balcony level. i'm guessing they'll be done by saturday, but it's these types of little projects on top of the bigger ones that's driving guests crazy. they were also ripping up something in the ground right by the stairs to the monorail this afternoon.

overall, i'm really glad we stayed here, but it will be so much nicer when all of this construction is done. i'm shocked they didn't deep discount the rooms.

More construction plans in the works for the Poly, it seems. Not sure how much or where, but seems like more than the East pool.

Boy, I sure do miss Tikiman and his great insights!

I wouldn't stay at Poly until the construction is finished. We were there to eat dinner in Kona Cafe in March and it just had too much under construction. I'd stay at BC/YC.

More construction plans in the works for the Poly, it seems. Not sure how much or where, but seems like more than the East pool.

Boy, I sure do miss Tikiman and his great insights!

There is much more still to come based on all the permits that were filed for work all over the resort. Expect the unexpected. This will continue until 2016. projects will not be limited to just the east pool area.

That cherry picker guy would freak me out, and the guy on the balcony wowza

There is much more still to come based on all the permits that were filed for work all over the resort. Expect the unexpected. This will continue until 2016. projects will not be limited to just the east pool area.

I appreciate the info. Is there a list of the permits/expected areas that still need to be worked on?

I think it's much better to go in with enough information to have the correct expectations. It also allows the consumer to decide what is the best place to stay for their family. Someone may prioritize the Poly's location over some of the construction, but perhaps only if the construction is located in areas or amenities they were not planning on using frequently.

Man, that is totally not cool at all. Kind of creepy actually. I can't wait to get back to my favorite resort, the Poly.....................in 2017! There are plenty of fantastic WDW resorts to experience until they finish this mess of a construction job. Not faulting anyone who feels otherwise or who has an upcoming trip planned there during the construction, but our family will take a pass until this is all finished.

Thanks, Steve!! You are awesome!

You are still the best source of knowledge about the Poly!!!

This I exactly what I am trying to decide.....Switch from BC to Poly or stay put. Sept 12-19. I LOVE Poly, and the price is only $30 more than BC. And it's our 25th Anniversary, so Poly would be amazing. However.....the not knowing where construction will strike during Sept is kinda worrying me? I just don't know what to do...

I would think of it this way -
Each potentially negative item is it an issue? or is it a risk?
The East Pool will be closed - is that an issue for you? were you going to be using that pool? or can you mitigate that issue because you were planning on using the feature pool?
There is a risk of construction noise. Disney does everything they can to mitigate that for you.
I would stay at the Poly because of all of the positive features that resort offers me and because those out weigh the risks of the ongoing construction.
I would not stay at the Poly if I thought those features meant less to me than my concerns of the ongoing construction.

I think that this is a good analysis; everyone needs to look at the possible construction issues and decide whether or not it will bother them specifically. You'll still have the other resort amenities and the location. I don't personally have an issue with construction unless they're banging away at 5 am. I wouldn't be bothered by a cherry picker outside my window. I sleep with the curtains closed because I don't like the sun early in the morning and, although I might want a nice view, I don't need it 24/7. We rarely take advantage of the pools at our resort so that wouldn't bother me. But each person has to make their own decisions based on how they spend their vacation time and what is important to them.

oh, tikiman, reading this makes me so sad that Disney has stopped you from reporting what you know :( It would be so nice to have some idea of what to expect. We are going no matter what in October b/c of the Magical deal we booked but I would love to be as prepared as possible.

oh, tikiman, reading this makes me so sad that Disney has stopped you from reporting what you know :( It would be so nice to have some idea of what to expect. We are going no matter what in October b/c of the Magical deal we booked but I would love to be as prepared as possible.

AGREE!!!!!!

I'm getting nervous, but trying to work past it (trying really hard not to jump ship and head back to WL). We leave in 61 days….who knows what that will bring!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter