Topsider's On Formal Night

Thank you, everyone, for the advice and discussion! Particularly helpful was kpgclark who mentioned lobster in the dining room. Sorry, but I can't give up a lobster dinner. Going with the wonderful advice here, we'll pack some long dockers and nice shirts for the wee set along with some good stain removing sticks. If the older ones object too much, there's always pizza in the Oceaneer's!

CurtS - We sailed on the 8/7 Magic. Lobster is served during the Semi-Formal dinner/Captain's Gala on Thursday night on the Eastern itinerary. I'm not sure when it would be on the Western itinerary. DS8 wore Dockers and a short sleeved button-down shirt (no tie) and DH wore a sports jacket, nice slacks and a shirt (no tie) on semi-formal night. I wore a nice dress. We were in Animator's Palate and were some of the best dressed folks in the place. People dressed down a lot more than I expected. If I had it to do over again, I wouldn't get so caught up in what I was going to wear each night. I'd also let my son wear shorts on the casual nights instead of insisting on slacks. Just enjoy your cruise!

Thank you, FLGalInTN. We are also on the Eastern itinerary, so it's good to know about the dinners. With six children, we are also facing a packing issue (don't want to exceed that 50 lb. limit). If there were plenty of sport coats on the men, my DS12 and I could eliminate two suits and leave a lot more room for souvenirs!

We had the "relunctant boys" (14 & 11) dress up for formal night. I already knew getting them into a tie or a coat would lead to a chicken strips/french fry in room dining situation for my boys. I'm not going to make them wear anything unconfortable.... but they had to look "their best"!

But I don't care how much complaining they did before the cruise... the time that I pulled their clothes out....collared shirt, Docker pants(SHOCK), NO BASEBALL HATS(BIGGER SHOCK)!

They ended up enjoying the ONE hour I made them dress up.... they enjoyed the beverages served to them while waiting in the HUGE line (listen to all the above posters....the line for formal pictures is huge!).

As soon as the the picture was taken I thought they'd run back to change but they watched and saw how everyone else was dressed up too. They really got into the mood.

We had a wonderful dinner and of course, before the mid course was done, they were off... but I was happy that were "living in the moment" and gave "mom her moment" and it did not bother me one bit when that moment was over in a heart beat---

our formal portrait cracks me up! I'm so proud we HAVE one!

Although some people have like TONS of family portraits taken on the trip... I was very pleased with my lil ONE formal picture of all us together - S M I L I N G - at the same time .... a historic moment for us....obviously... ;)

But there are sooo many more photo opportunites for the family besides "formal night". It just wasn't one of my biggest priorioties.

One time my daughter and I were going to the bathroom during dinner and saw that a "portrait station" was completely empty....BIG SHOCK..... we posed and had the cutest "going to the bathroom alone with mom" picture.

FYI:

The lines get very long....some families can take up to 10 or so pictures --- all different poses ... they put no limit on the amount of poses you can think of... get there early.:crazy:

(God Bless Amanda & Emma)

So...sounds like a nice shirt and tie will be ok. My DH and DS sweat too much to wear a jacket to dinner. I am the one that hates to dress up! I would like to have a nice picture of us though so I will wear a nice skirt or dress.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter