top of the world as a perk

I do have mixed feelings about this...
We are DVC BLT's members, one of the reasons we bought @ BLT was because of TOTW. Yes I agree that if they open it up to all DVC members, it will make money/help with TOTW. But if we check in sometime in the future, and we sign up for TOTW, and we a told we can't get up there because the sign up list is booked up or get turned away from the TOTW because of the crowds....

Just a thought...

Robin & Angel "D" :thumbsup2

I agree that TOTW would probably draw more people in if they would 1)open the dining/bar area to all DVC Members and 2)offered some better dining options. Realizing they have a very limited kitchen and prep area, even nice preplated sandwiches and salads would probably help.

They could limit the observation area to BLT guests only, but open the bar/dining area to all Members.

Maybe they could do a ticket based system, where no matter where you were staying you go to the conceirge desk and get some passes to go to the lounge. This way it will get used more often and you don't have to wonder if there is room. It would still be first come first get in by way of when you get tickets for the time frame of wishes. For the time before wishes and after
any DVC person should be able to use it no ticket needed just your member card. Tickets would go from the time frame of 30 mins before wishes to the end of the show. If you don't show up 10 min before hand your tickets could be given away to other people waiting.

Personally everytime we have asked about the lounge we have been told you can use it when staying in BLT only and only if there is room. Once it is full too late too bad--- this makes me think why bother sounds like it fills up fast. I bet this is what a lot of people think... if they only knew.

I hope they change the policy and keep the lounge.

I would expect Disney to open the TOTW to all guests staying at BLT, cash and DVC before they accept guests from other resorts. Accepting other resort guests will affect transportation, security, and personnel which will increase the operating cost.

:earsboy: Bill

If you ask the question: "What is in the Mouse's best interests?" the answer is pretty clear. It won't be turned over to DVC members at large. Why would they? There's no way to monetize that---the DVC Members have already paid in. It *might* be turned over to BLT at large---but probably not, because those rooms in the long run will generally not be rooms where rental revenue goes to TWDC. That leaves taking it "private" as soon as BLT has sold out.

I could be wrong, and I hope I am, but I bet I'm not, because if you follow the money that's where it leads.

If the lounge is not financially stable now (which I can't imagine it would be with very little usage) then I would support opening it up to all DVC members. It would be a nice perk for everyone and I bet over time the crowds would even out nicely and there would be more people up there to support the lounge. I am a BLT owner and would like to see more people up there enjoying themselves. I am worried that Disney is going to take it away from everyone and their justification will be low usage.

Besides opening the lounge up to DVC members staying at other DVC Resorts, shouldn't they also let up non DVC members who happen to be staying at Bay Lake Tower? I can understand only letting in DVC members who are staying at Bay Lake Tower after it opened, however wouldn't the next step be letting in everyone staying at there even if they are not a DVC member and then letting in DVC members staying else where on property?

of course, one is entitled ..to their opinions. here's ours.

the last thing we would want if wdw turned it into a "real"
lounge. [ get enough substance abusers @ work]. and while
some knows the differences between social & problems drinking,
it only takes one or a few to cause harm.

i don't care if we are the only ones up there. i think low census
make the adventure more special then having to fight for a
view because they opened the "gates".

and i like disney to keep it's promises...holding the line over popular
desires. now if all they wanted to was to entice new blt buyers,
is a poor reason to sell their values. as far as i am concern the company
is responsible when guides misleaded potential buyers on purpose.
and i would think , "their image" is worth alot more then a few drinks.

[ one of the best way to ruin a reputation is to break one's word.
i know i don't tolerate those who say things they don't mean. there's
something to old-fashioned values & keeping one's words & promises. ]

i read where some don't won't kids mixing with their drinks. i don't
my children around those taking in excessive etoh. it is a well -
documented fact, the more one's drinks the less self control they
have.

what our guide told us, this area was created as a special perk for
new blt owners to share with their families & for socializing ,with
limited drinking being available. he made it clear, it wasn't going
to be a drinking hole. also having crowds of strangers like those we seen
inside the wishes, was the example he used to persuade us that blt was
different/special. i expect disney to keep their promises.

if the disney co.'s goal was to make alot of money by intending to used
this option then they had no right to exposed my family by lying to us.
regardless what any guide promises, they work for disney and the
company has a duty to managed them. if disney wants to changed
their promises then they should be willing to buy back.

we expressed our expectations when we talked with the guide. we want
a safe place to share a disney memory. an adult lounge where exchanges
are being done, isn't the same thing as a family gatherin' place. why not
placed the lounge down in the first floor & keep this area for family
time.

Besides opening the lounge up to DVC members staying at other DVC Resorts, shouldn't they also let up non DVC members who happen to be staying at Bay Lake Tower? I can understand only letting in DVC members who are staying at Bay Lake Tower after it opened, however wouldn't the next step be letting in everyone staying at there even if they are not a DVC member and then letting in DVC members staying else where on property?

Nope...it's basically a perk available to DVC members. You must be staying on points, as of now, in order to access the lounge. Yes, you can do it if you are staying on borrowed points, but it is still DVC. It is a DVC property, so I would like to see DVC members able to access it before non-DVC people.

If the numbers don't increase then I can see a good argument for opening it up FIRST to DVC members at other hotels and see how that works. It's a beautiful location, but I think Disney/DVC is missing it's potential. If there is not enough business to pay for it, it's going to be a pretty high cost that will be passed onto members in their dues.

I think it could be turned into a highly desirable (and therefore busy) location with some minor tweeks. The goal, IMHO is to create a unique dining experience and make it a very classy. Because there was a major error made in not providing some sort of kitchen facilities options are going to be a lot more limiting than it should have been. A very nice sushi bar could be an option with potstickers, dumplings /dim sum hot options brought in from the other kitchens. Alternatively a Spanish style Tapas bar with cold options ( ham, shrimp, fish and cheeses) stored/prepared at the TOTW lounge and hot options cooked in the other kitchens.

IMHO the advantage (financially) of both these options is they lend themselves to guests enjoying the food with a bottle of wine. A real nice wine cellar that competes with Cal grill or Jiko's would bring in more revenue than guests nursing a beer all night and, IMHO fit in with the idea of creating a high end , classy venue.

I visited a restaurant in London called Mushi Mushi Sushi ( do they have them in any of the big cities in the USA?) that had a gimmick that would tie in wonderfully well with Walt's love of trains and that the BLT is a "monorail" resort. At their restaurants there is a model rail ( I'd have it like the monorail) set up and the train slowly carries plates of sushi (prepared in an open kitchen) around the dining room. If you see something you fancy ( and as they come round there is ALWAYS something tempting) you simply take the plate off the train. The different dishes are placed on different colored plates that signify their particular cost. At the end of the meal the wait staff just take the plates away and count them up to figure out your bill. It would require a major refit now, but I think that would be something unique that would bring in guests and business. The sushi chefs were fun to watch, the model railway added something unique and there was always enough tasty
"non raw fish" items to tempt those that can't get to grips with sushi.

If there is not enough business to pay for it, it's going to be a pretty high cost that will be passed onto members in their dues.

The TOTW/TOTWL isn't part of the DVC, it belongs to Disney so our dues don't pay for it.

:earsboy: Bill

It is a DVC property
Except that it isn't. TOTW is explicitly *not* part of the BLT condominium. It is, legally, completely separate, and Disney retains ownership of it even after BLT is sold out.

Nope...it's basically a perk available to DVC members. You must be staying on points, as of now, in order to access the lounge. Yes, you can do it if you are staying on borrowed points, but it is still DVC. It is a DVC property, so I would like to see DVC members able to access it before non-DVC people.
While I understand what you are saying don't you think on paper it sounds weird telling non DVC members staying there that they are not allowed to access one of the amenities in the resort they are staying at?

I stand by what I said earlier... this should be a perk for DVC members in any resort they are staying at on property when using thier points.

Reservations could be made for the lounge, tickets or first come first serve but should be only for a DVC memeber as a perk.

While I understand what you are saying don't you think on paper it sounds weird telling non DVC members staying there that they are not allowed to access one of the amenities in the resort they are staying at?
No, why would it??? Not every perk is for every person. I guess it's the same as free internet for DVC owners. Non-DVC has to pay for it...DVC doesn't. It's a perk we get. ToTW Lounge is another one.

You know, I have to wonder if there would be all this hoo-hah if there were no fireworks viewing. While the fireworks viewing is nice, there are many other such spots throughout the resort. There was a nice window area down the hall from us, with benches and such. Sure, no music could be heard, but it was still a great spot to watch from.
It might be time to say what everyone is pussyfooting around...it isn't the lounge that people want, it's the fireworks viewing area. Why do I say this??? Simple. It gets more crowded up there about 15 mins before the fireworks. Guests don't even enter the lounge..they just go right to the observation deck. Then, as soon as the fireworks are done....it's empty up there again. Perhaps they should make the observation deck a perk, but allow anyone into the lounge. In order to access the deck you would need to show your room key...the same as downstairs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter