Top 5 reasons holiday weekends at the fort are better and worse

starbuc71

Mouseketeer
Well, we just got home from another vacation from the fort. This was our first time going to the fort during a Holiday and I would have to say I have mixed reviews weather it's better on an "off" time or during a holiday. Although, you can never have a bad time at the fort. Below was my top 5 list what was good and what was bad.

Top five good reasons to visit the Fort during a holiday weekend
1. You get to meet a lot of good people especially dis boarders you have never met.
2. The decorations...need I say more. They were awsome IMO loop 700, 100 and 1600 took the cake
3. Mickeys Very Merry Christmas party. We went Sunday night and had a blast. Still up in the air if MNSSHP is better
4.Holiday souviners at the trading post. My wife and I forgot there was no "fort" themed merchandise anymore. We really wanted to get a Ft. Wilderness ornament, but o well. The Disney Christmas merch. was awsome
5. Hot Chocolate. OK I know you are able to get hot chocolate any time in your mugs, but during our usuall summer trips, I wouldn't consider a warm mug of cocco on a 90 degree summer night

The top five disappointments on a holiday weekend (for us)
1. RV detailing. Can you believe those detailers were out Thanksgiving morning at 8am at the site next to us pressure washing? (I don't want to start an age old argument, but Thanksgiving morning? Honestly)
2.Wreckless cart drivers. Not that this only happens on the holidays, but with the fort being full, there were a lot more carts on the road and especially under age wreckless drivers. Kudos once again for Disney enforcing the rules especially at night. Also the use of side X side UTV's ripping down the roads. Kudos once again. We were also driving down the main road when the carriage ride was coming twords us. Someone in a big SUV decided he was not going to follow the carriage anymore decided to pass with out looing for what was coming and ran 1 cart and almost myself off the road. The carriage stopped and asked if everyone was alright. This may also be grouped into my number 5 catergory.
3. A super packed campfire. This was to be expected
4. Long line to check in. Again this was to be expected. Although we don't use online check-in since it's useless IMO since there is always someone backing up the line (again, another nuber 5 category), the online lane was 10 deep and the others we like 3 deep. So much for those people trying to save some time
5. Please don't get offended if you fall in this category but,....Stupid People. It never fails, when you are somewhere waiting in line and there are huge crowds, there has to be at least one. Case in point, last night at MK they give out complimentary hot choc, x-mas cookies, apple slices and apple juice. That's it! Low and behold I was in the line that stated "hers your sign" The woman infront of me got to the counter and asked do you have choc. milk instead? Then, well "how about a coke?" She asked for everything but what they were actually offering. Then she told the counter girl to hang on as she yelled across everyone to her "lazy" husband, partner, brother, love toy or whatever ( I have to say lazy becuase he should have been up getting items not her) asking what he and thier children wanted. After this 10 minute fiasco and it was my turn, I asked the frustrated poor counter person for 2 hot coccos and 2 cookies and she gave me 2 coccos and 10 cookies, Booya!!!! There were many other instances like this, but I'm sure we have all seen it.

All in all we had a great time. My daughter and I started the week out with a bad touch of the flu, but we weathered on. I was getting excited to do another trip report but due to me being sick 3 out of the 5 days, I didn't even pick up my camera (shame on me...lol) Anyways, I'm off to look at a 2011 calendar to book our next trip. I hope everyone who was at the fort during Thanksgiving had an awsome time.

Letterman has nothing on your top 10:thumbsup2! As for the flu hope you were not in the 900 loop my brother showed up a week and a half ago to stay with us and he brought gifts for us! The FLU for the kids Ya! Whoooo!Hate to know the kid brother is still a carrier monkey!Hope the fam is all better and thanks for the report!

I hope to always go to the fort for Thanksgiving as it has been a tradition since 04. If I could only go once a year this weekend would be it no matter the crowds because we've gotten to where we hit the parks rarely.

I think you and I were sitting at Judy's site when the side by side drove by. It was right after he had been chased out of the area behind the settlement. It makes we wonder if the people who only come ocassionally are too busy looking at the fort rather than the people and think it's really just too cool to see past the hoopla. I saw a couple other sxs utv's and it ticks me off they're not told to be parked.

I saw tons of people driving past buses when they were stopped. I was sitting at the 900 loop bus stop waiting for people to load and this guy goes around me and passes us. There were still people crossing the road. I yelled to him that the school bus stop rule only applied to everyone except him. I'm not shy to speak up when I see stupid. I think the buses need to be equipped with stop signs just like buses.

I know I'm going to be bashed, but I'm sick of the golf carts. There's just too many idiots bringing them in. I know we all enjoy them but unless they're going to enforce rules then just ditch them. It's getting to where walkers and bike riders are the minority and it's almost not safe. I see more adults acting dumb than younger kids.

The carriage rides shouldn't go past the preferred loops because they're too slow. I saw a bus finally have to pass one and it wasn't pretty. That's my rant. You asked lol.

There is a Mile long road between FW and WL with little traffic why dont they take the carriage rides there?

There is a Mile long road between FW and WL with little traffic why dont they take the carriage rides there?

You're right. They could go through the decorated loops and then down the trail. I would imagine it's because there's no light down there.

Your list is pretty much dead on. We've spent a couple Thanksgivings at the Fort, and I've loved them. But I much prefer the 2 weeks after Thanksgiving for the relative peacefulness.

And being one who prefers biking around the Fort, I have to agree that the carts can be hazardous to bikers and walkers. If everyone would follow basic traffic rules we'd be ok, but it's as if folks don't believe a cart could cause injury and they are reckless with them. Like everything, it's a minority that ruin it. I'm glad to hear management has been enforcing the age rules...at least it's a start.

I know I'm going to be bashed, but I'm sick of the golf carts. There's just too many idiots bringing them in. I know we all enjoy them but unless they're going to enforce rules then just ditch them. It's getting to where walkers and bike riders are the minority and it's almost not safe. I see more adults acting dumb than younger kids.

Donnie,

Well, I am going to bash away. Donnie's suggestion is typical liberal spew in that we always punish the many for the deeds of the few. And I know Donnie is not a liberal...shame on you.

Don't take this the wrong way but you can start by leaving YOUR cart at home.:thumbsup2

We can’t afford to rent a golf cart so we bring our bikes. I’m good with that and don’t mind the golf carts, usually. I have noticed that there are more small kids, and I mean under the age of 12, driving the carts. That I do mind. I saw several on our last trip that were driving standing up because they couldn’t reach the pedals sitting down. Next to them as a parent or in one case a grandparent. We also saw a cart full of adults driving on the trail between FW and WL. While your FW trip should be fun and enjoyable, Disney really needs to crack down on the way under age drivers and people who take the carts on places clearly marked NO CARTS. I also noticed several people looping in cars over Thanksgiving. That really needs to stop and also the detailing early a.m. I also had a detailer across from us on Thanksgiving morning. My favorite thing to do is get up around 7:00 and sit outside with coffee and a book and enjoy the peace for about an hour before we start our day. I am planning to send FW a letter about the underage thing and early morning detailing. Will it help, probably not, but at least I can say I tried.

Hello starbuc71!

It was good to meet you last week at the Fort!

It sounds like your trip ended better than it began!

When I saw you, you will still recovering from your eye injury and your Thanksgiving dinner fiasco!

Glad to hear that the MVMCP went well for you.

TCD

Well I think all golf carts should be banned. And so should blow ups. And beer.

Hello starbuc71!

It was good to meet you last week at the Fort!

It sounds like your trip ended better than it began!

When I saw you, you will still recovering from your eye injury and your Thanksgiving dinner fiasco!

Glad to hear that the MVMCP went well for you.

TCD

TCD, I was shocked to finally meet you in person. The eye is getting better and the flu is subsiding. The weekend at the fort turned out pretty good. Hope to see you there again

We were on the trail right at dusk and a carriage did go by us. Only time I have ever seen a carriage on that trail - though we saw LOTS of deer that evening!!

Ya'll can bash lol. It just bothers me to see people doing whatever they want when we try and follow rules in place. Stopping for buses is a pet peeve of mine. You get somebody getting off at the 900 for example and they're staying in 1000 loop so they walk back and across. Sure they should look before crossing but should they have to be worried about a truck or cart wizzing by when the bus is stopped? NO!!!

I'm wondering if a personal manager visit would be better than a survey card answer?

Ya'll can bash lol. It just bothers me to see people doing whatever they want when we try and follow rules in place. Stopping for buses is a pet peeve of mine. You get somebody getting off at the 900 for example and they're staying in 1000 loop so they walk back and across. Sure they should look before crossing but should they have to be worried about a truck or cart wizzing by when the bus is stopped? NO!!!

I'm wondering if a personal manager visit would be better than a survey card answer?

I'm with you Donnie. As we spoke the other night, I agree the buses should have some sort of School bus stop sign or flashing light. Maybe just then some of the stupid people will wake up. They will never do it though since the buses that run in the fort are not just for the fort. This goes back to my old discusion on why they should do away with the buses and go back to the open air trams. The trams could be specific to the fort and be rigged with school bus type mechanisms to prevent stupid people from passing. We all know Disney will not do that either. I guess the easiest most cost effective way would be to have managment step up to the plate and enforce the rules. Everyone would be happy if just that could be done. It would also put to rest the disputes over golf carts. I still can't believe Disney has not cracked down on personal cart use at the fort. Not that I want them to, but I would think from a money making stand point, they are loosing a lot of money that people could be renting vs. bringing thier own. believe me as much as we would all ban renting a cart if the personal ones we not allowed, people would rent them. The new Kennel is a good case in point.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter