• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Top 3 Scariest Movies you ever seen

1. The Conjuring
2. Insidious
3. The Exocist

The Conjuring is the only movie to have ever given me nightmares... For whatever reason it got to me lol

Oh, I forgot The Conjuring! That was scary! I'll have to try Insidious.

I also liked the first and third Paranormal Activity movies.

I see a few good reviews for It Follows. I need to check it out.

pretty much anything with Eddie Murphy in it :rolleyes1 Jeezzz that man has made some scary, crappy movies...like Bowfinger:scared:

99 Steps
Puppet on a Chain
Silence of the Lamb

tigercat

For two of the best horror movies of all time, you need.to go back in time to the 1950s.

Night of the Hunter (1955): the original mad slasher movie, made long before the words mad slasher were ever invented, and the movie John Carpenter said he was hoping to do as good as when he made Halloween. Set during the depression, with Robert Mitchum (an actor who could make you cringe just by staring at you) as the killer, posing as a reverend with the words hate and love tattooed across the knuckles of his hands, chasing two young children across the state because he believes they know where $10,000 is hidden. The death scene when he kills his new bride, Shelley Winters, the mother of the two children, and the fisherman's discovery of her body by slowly coming to realize the seaweed he sees flowing at the bottom of the river is intermixed with the flowing long blond hair of the victim, are two of the best fright scenes you will ever see without seeing any blood.

The Bad Seed (1956): the first movie ever made where a child, a seemingly angelic and perfect eight-year-old played superbly by Patricia McCormick, is the sociopathic killer. Much of the movie is the interaction between the child and her mother while the mother goes through the stages of believing her daughter incapable of harm, to starting to suspect it might be true but denying it is, to finally realizing that her daughter is evil incarnate who kills those who displease her. The ending is an unexpected twist.

My third choice is more modern. For pure terror, you cannot beat Alien.

Last edited:

1. (because I watched it when I was a kid) Poltergeist. Everything clown related was GONE!

2. (for the same reason as 1 and it was the Cold War years) The Day After.

3. The new The Shining with Steven Weber and Rebecca DeMorney. I found it creepier than the original!

1. The Strangers
2. Sinister
3. The Paranormal Activity movies OR The Descent

I'm a horror fan, and am usually incredibly disappointed by most new horror films. My all time favorites are probably Halloween (original - Michael Myers is terrifying) and Scream, because they're both just realistic enough to actually happen. I think that's why The Strangers scares the crap out of me too.

Biggest disappointment to me was The Babadook. It was on all these lists as being super scary and honestly I just wanted the mom and kid to die already and put me out of my misery. I couldn't even finish it, I hated those two characters so much.

Se7en.

How he kept the guy barely alive for a year, leading him to chew off his own tongue. Man, that deadly sin creeped me out.

It's such a good movie but scary in the fact that certain elements could actually happen in real life.

My sister & I got hooked on scary movies as kids after watching The Exercist with my dad. We went on to love Poltergiest & It (until the disappointing end). Now is harder & harder to find good movies! We still watch them together as my DH hates scary movies.

More recent movies I really liked were You're Next, The Strangers, & Insidious

For me
1. Insidious - Only movie I ever screamed in the theater over
2. Blair Witch Project
3. Paranormal Activity

My sister & I got hooked on scary movies as kids after watching The Exercist with my dad. We went on to love Poltergiest & It (until the disappointing end). Now is harder & harder to find good movies! We still watch them together as my DH hates scary movies.

More recent movies I really liked were You're Next, The Strangers, & Insidious

I watched You're Next on Netflix several months ago, and thought it was pretty good! Definitely better than most of the newer horror films I've seen recently. I kind of saw the ending coming, but it was still intense and entertaining.

1. The Exorcist - I have only seen this one once and it was back when I was around 12. I was so freaked out that I begged my sister to let me sleep in her room for almost a week after.

2. The Strangers - This one is freaky for multiple reasons. I freak out when Liv Tyler is in the kitchen and one of the strangers is behind her just watching but she never sees him. The reason that they give at the end for why they did it will really freak you out and make you never want to answer the door. And finally, the hero and heroine do everything right - they try to leave, the get the gun to try and kill the bad guys - but it just doesn't work out for them.

3. I can't come up with anything that compares to the above two, but I will go with Halloween because he mask is freaky and the music is terrifying. I was in the ladies room a few months back and someone's phone went off with that ringtone and that was enough to give me the creeps.

3. Hostel (I travel a fair bit and those movies freaked me out in a big way)
2. Silent Hill (NOPE NOPE NOPE and also nope. Everything about that movie...:scared:)
1. The Ring (I slept with my tv on, no sound, for YEARS growing up. I know, I know - bad for me. But the soft light kind of calmed me to sleep. I saw the Ring in high school and did not sleep for a WEEK. Horrible. Never again. Lol)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter