Too soon for 1/2 marathon?

mrs_hower726

Mouseketeer
I just finished the C25k program last week and ran my first 5k on Saturday! :cool1: My long-term goal is to run a marathon but I know that is still a couple of years down the road. There is a 1/2 marathon on November 18th in my area I would like to run but I'm not sure if that is too lofty of a goal. Here is my thought process for the next few months:

April - get more comfortable running 5k distances/improve time
May/June - Bridge to 10k program
July - get more comfortable running 10k distance/improve time
Aug, Sept, Oct - 10k to 1/2 marathon program
Nov. 18th - half marathon

I think this is feasable; my husband thinks it's a bit too rushed and would like to see me do the 10k to 1/2 marathon training during the winter months when there are no races and to give myself more time.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

I think your plan is completely doable. Last year we ran our first 5k around the middle of April using the C25k. After that we moved into the Galloway plan and did our first half at the beginning of November and felt like both my fiancee and I finished strong. We are now well on our way to a marathon, it's just a question of finding a race that fits into our schedules.

Geoff

That plan works very well. A lot of 1/2 training plans include races (mine had a 5k, a 10k, and a 15k), so if you plan it right you can do the races while training.

I think you could do a half marathon if you stay serious about your training-- it's not out of the reach.

Several years ago I ran my first 5k ever and the next race I signed up for was the Chicago Marathon, which was at that point 7 months away. I could barely run a mile straight. I ran a few 5ks, a 10k, and then went directly to ultramarathon. Granted it was an ultramarathon relay that happened to fall on the same weekend as my 18 mile training run, but I ended up legging over 30 miles all said and done. And marathon weekend came and went, as did more marathons and half marathons. I'm barely what anyone would consider a runner.

I think the common misconception about running distance events is that you have to be fast or that you can't walk on the course. There are runners who finish in 3 hours who walk, just as there are runners who finish in 6 hours who walk. There are also 3 and 6 hour finishers who run the whole thing.

The best thing about marathoning (in my opinion) is the community. It's ridiculously supportive of participants at all stages. If you feel like you want to go forth and run a half in November, just stick to your training. You'll be amazed at what you can do.

I agree. If you stick to your training, it is completely doable. I had never run before when I stared training for my first half. I trained and ran it in about 2 months. I wouldn't recommend doing it that way but the point is I did finish and it sparked my love for running. My fiance is not a runner and we will be running a 5k together in two weeks. After that we'll be training for the Wine & Dine in November. He's nervous because right now he's not the strongest runner (as far as endurance) but I know we have time and have faith that with consistant training, he can do it. I say go for it!

Your schedule sounds very manageable. I started running 4 months before the Princess half and had no trouble finishing. I found a training schedule online (4 days per week running, 2 days other activity and one day rest) and I followed it to the letter. The Princess race was supposed to be my one and only half marathon......and I have now completed 4 in one year and will attempt the Goofy challenge in January. You definitely can do it if you train properly. Most of all, have fun!

I agree. If you stick to your training, it is completely doable. I had never run before when I stared training for my first half. I trained and ran it in about 2 months. I wouldn't recommend doing it that way but the point is I did finish and it sparked my love for running. My fiance is not a runner and we will be running a 5k together in two weeks. After that we'll be training for the Wine & Dine in November. He's nervous because right now he's not the strongest runner (as far as endurance) but I know we have time and have faith that with consistant training, he can do it. I say go for it!

Not to totally hijack someone's thread, but I LOVE THIS! I am doing this with my fiance as well. Our goal is the ToT 10 Miler, and he's a non-runner unless you count when he has his character in MW3 running and gunning. I love that he's willing to give something I enjoy doing a shot. I don't know if he's up for dressing in costume, but I'll cross that hurdle when I get there :)

You have lots of time, but you may want to consider more of a beginner's half marathon plan than a 10k plan then ramping to a half. Remember that you will need to taper a good week to two weeks before your half marathon and you need to rest after any race (rule of thumb: 1 day rest per mile).

I'm barely what anyone would consider a runner.
Don't sell yourself short. Anyone who runs regularly is a runner, whether it's a mile or 26.2 (and if you've done 26.2, you have earned the title. You're not just a runner, you're a "marathoner").

I am condisering the Disney half as my half marathon. My husband is going Goofy and wants me to join him on the half. I "ran" my first 5k in May. He is totally addicated and I didnt want to be left out. He is actually running 3 marathons, and at least 2 halfs within a calendar year. He is trying to squeese another 1/2 in there somewhere.

I thnk you have enough time to train for the half on 11/18. According to my understanding using my Bingham schedule you would train your long Runs (LR) something like this:

7/7=2
7/14=3
7/21=2
7/28=3
8/4=2
8/11=3
8/18=3
8/25=4
9/1=4
9/8=5
9/15=5
9/22=6
9/29=7
10/6=4
10/13=8
10/20=6
10/28=10
11/3=8
11/10/5
11/18 Half Marathon!

There are many plans you can choose. I use Bingham because it is more forgiving on my old bones and I can still participate in the events.

Don't forget your training during the week. Whatever plan you use, stick to it and be careful to not injure yourself.

Find the fun!

I think your plan is very doable. Go for it!! I was a newbie runner, did my 1st (and only) 5K in October 2011. I loved it and continued training -- did my 1st Half on April 22, 2012. I'm signed up to do my first Full on Jan 13, 2013 in WDW!! You just take your training plan one-day-at-a-time and stay dedicated to doing what Today Requires of You. You will get there.

Best of luck!
Diane

Seriously thinking of registering for the half in Jan with my daughter. She is a competitive runner. I was planning on the fast-walk. The 4mph pace is daunting. I'm not sure I could get up to that even in 6 months. Perhaps its my short stumpy legs?
I'm going to see if I can get my pace up in the next couple of weeks. I walk a lot but only at what I now estimate is 3.0. Running is out of the question, too many joint issues. I know the distance won't be the problem but the pace. Hmm what to do? I would never get over getting swept up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter