Too much salt!

minniemous

Veteran
We are just back from Disney and we had a wonderful time. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

One major complaint however is the amount of salt in all the food. After my very first meal I am squeezing my rings on for the rest of the trip and just feel all the water retention due to the crazy amounts of salt in the food.

Particularly after eating at Be our Guest. It is really way too much. I loved the theming of the restaurants and the experience in general. I know Disney World is not the place to be looking for the extremely high dining experience except for the few top level restaurants but I think the sodium levels have to be off the charts.

Does anyone else have this experience when going to Disney World?

Also as a side note, I really do not like the fact that the regular dining plan gives dessert with lunch, dinner and breakfast (buffet). Do not ask me why but I found my self falling into this mentality that we are paying for it so we might as well indulge. After day 4 we were taking desserts to go. At the end of the trip our fridge was loaded with so many desserts it was like a pastry shop!!

Too salty is a problem with much of the restaurant industry. Salt is cheap and easier than real flavor.

It generally works in Disney's favor because guests need to replenish electrolytes lost due to Florida heat. (Salt pills used to be more common)

I think Pizza Planet is fun because I get to eat bad pizza in a kids arcade...exactly what you expect from watching Toy Story. Some people think it's great, and I think it's their reaction to a salty Caesar salad and pizza. If you are low on electrolytes your body feels better when it's replenished.

Now that you are touring during more mild temperatures, the saltiness is not needed so it seems more excessive.

We are just back from Disney and we had a wonderful time. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

One major complaint however is the amount of salt in all the food. After my very first meal I am squeezing my rings on for the rest of the trip and just feel all the water retention due to the crazy amounts of salt in the food.

Particularly after eating at Be our Guest. It is really way too much. I loved the theming of the restaurants and the experience in general. I know Disney World is not the place to be looking for the extremely high dining experience except for the few top level restaurants but I think the sodium levels have to be off the charts.

Also as a side note, I really do not like the fact that the regular dining plan gives dessert with lunch, dinner and breakfast (buffet). Do not ask me why but I found my self falling into this mentality that we are paying for it so we might as well indulge. After day 4 we were taking desserts to go. At the end of the trip our fridge was loaded with so many desserts it was like a pastry shop!!

Never heard the complaint of too much salt there before - you must really be sensitive to it! Has always been just perfect for me, and others that have been with us - some even add a little salt to some things.

As for the DDP and desserts, that is one of the big reasons the plan does not work for our family - we don't eat desserts every meal - but you are right - you 'are' paying for it. You would probably do much better, as we, to just pay oop and forego the dining plan! ::yes:: We spend far less the way we dine.

It doesn't ever taste to salty but yes I typically gain about 15lbs a trip and drop 13 of it the two days after we get home as it all flushes out.

I'm one of those annoying "dressing/sauce on the side" people so I've never noticed!

Funny to see this mentioned by someone else! My husband & I had the same problems with our fingers & hands. His were very obviously "swollen" looking and I found it impossible to pull my rings off (usually no trouble at all) through out the whole trip.

There was only one time where we ever truly found something overly salty and it was the green beans at Cosmic Ray's. I couldn't even eat them. :crazy2:

I agree with others. I have not found it to be too salty. But folks have differing levels of sensitivity. I think you are likely sensitive to salt.
Sorry you didn't enjoy your food

Keep in mind it's not just salt in the food that is affecting you. The water is treated with different salts than you may be used too at home. My Dr said it most likely isn't table salt that's affecting us (I get the extra swelling slightly also) but rather the water and it's treatment combined with the heat and activity.

I find it very salty, but not any different than regular restaurant food for the most part.

Same here....except that I did have a really salty meal at Le Cellier. The lunch meal itself was delicious at the time, but for the rest of the day, I felt the effects.

Thank you for posting this. It's not so much that I taste the salt as much as I get the swelling as well. I never get swollen anywhere else, but the last couple of trips I notice it. It goes away right when we return home. I actually heard people complaining about it on my last trip saying their ankles had rings around them lol. They must use a lot of salt because I haven't experienced this anywhere else.

I'm a "dressing on the side" person too. I don't like my food doused in dressing.

I also don't like really salty food. I wonder if you can request low salt or salt free dishes? I think I will try this request on my next visit.

One thing to remember is that dehydration can cause swelling of hands and feet. Lots of people don't realize how easy it is to get dehydrated in the Florida heat and humidity. Sounds counter-intuitive, but drinking more water can help prevent fluid retention.

So if you're having problems with swollen fingers, try drinking more water!

Most restaurants salt along the cooking process. A person need only watch one episode of Emeril or Julia Child to see this in action.

I find, with few exceptions, good food needs far less salting than you witness on TV. However, I have never had a 'bloating' problem after a Disney trip and I too am typically sensitive to salt. But I will add, too much salt is used on the popcorn at Disney to the point where my child says her lips are 'on fire'.

Many factors affect bloating:
1.) Traveling - whether sitting in a vehicle for an extended period of time or riding in a plane, we are all prone to some 'water retention' issues.
2.) Exercise or physical activity outside of a normal routine (like walking for 8 hours inside a theme Park) can also lend to temporary changes in our bodies.
3.) Change in alkaline in the water between your home and anywhere you travel can cause changes to your body.

I'll be the first to criticize Disney if and when food does not meet expectations, but I have not had salt problems at Disney (other than popcorn) and I am very sensitive.

Words of advice - avoid most savory sauces in most restaurants if you are sensitive to salt.

We are just back from Disney and we had a wonderful time. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. One major complaint however is the amount of salt in all the food. After my very first meal I am squeezing my rings on for the rest of the trip and just feel all the water retention due to the crazy amounts of salt in the food. Particularly after eating at Be our Guest. It is really way too much. I loved the theming of the restaurants and the experience in general. I know Disney World is not the place to be looking for the extremely high dining experience except for the few top level restaurants but I think the sodium levels have to be off the charts. Does anyone else have this experience when going to Disney World? Also as a side note, I really do not like the fact that the regular dining plan gives dessert with lunch, dinner and breakfast (buffet). Do not ask me why but I found my self falling into this mentality that we are paying for it so we might as well indulge. After day 4 we were taking desserts to go. At the end of the trip our fridge was loaded with so many desserts it was like a pastry shop!!

Ha DH and I were just commenting on this last night. We were trying to figure out why most disney food "feels" kind of the same to us. I think it's the salt! Interesting that other people feel it's too salty as well.

At most QS I was able to sub a water for dessert. At TS I would ask about getting fruit instead of a sweet dessert. For instance at the Grand Floridian Cafe I was able to get plain berries instead of the berry pyramid covered in a sauce. At the Wave I got a huge fruit platter.

We alway say the same thing! Especially at Be Our Guest…I have NEVER had such salty fries! My poor mom always ends up with swollen ankles towards the end of the week. We are not used to eating that much salt either.

I don't find it salty. And I don't swell up. You must be super sensitive to it. And I really can't believe youre complaining about too many desserts! Sounds like the dining plan isn't good for your family at all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter