Too many peaches, and I don't like pie. Other ideas?

If the food pantry won't take them do you have a local soup kitchen where they actually serve meals daily? I'm sure fresh delicious peaches would be a treat!

I freeze peaches for smoothies without doing anything at all to them, other than washing them and slicing them. I don't peel them, and I don't add anything to keep them from turning brown. I use them in smoothies with other ingredients (usually raspberries, sometimes blueberries or blackberries, and frequently kale as well), so you can't tell if they turned a little brown.

I think that most people would want them peeled for smoothies unless you have a great blender like a Vitamix or Blendtec. The peels will leave an off texture with a regular blender. They blend up perfectly in my Vitamix, though.

I just froze a bunch of peaches. I simply peeled and sliced them, placed them on a cookie sheet and froze. Then I threw them into Ziploc bags. Ready fro smoothies, snacking (my kids love eating any frozen fruit), cobblers or crisp. Turned out great and no browning at all.

You can make freezer jam. You don't need any special equipment and can put or in uber made containers. Just don't let air get in.

I work at a fast food restaurant...and some of our regulars bring us extras from their gardens. We appreciate it. :)

Sangria! Use peach schnapps, white wine, frozen lemonade concentrate. Let it sit overnight. Then add club soda, peaches, blueberries, and raspberries.

Delish! Just made this over the weekend.

I would freeze them and take them out over the winter for an easy dessert. My mother always used to make Peach Melba, vanilla ice cream, peaches, raspberry sauce... that's it. It tastes amazing, feels fancy, and is very pretty... not to mention simple.

Thanks! I appreciate the ideas!

I am so glad to hear that I can just freeze peaches without the sugar. Off to the store later to buy the lemons for this! And the rest, I shall donate to the pantry, if they will take them. I had heard awhile back that our pantry doesn't take "fresh" food, only store bought, but I will call and see, maybe they changed their minds for the summer crop.

Times like this, I wish I had more neighbours! :)

Times like this, I wish I was your neighbor!

Peach salsa is also wonderful on fish, especially salmon.

I've also had grilled peaches with a bit of honey drizzled on them if need to add sweetness (sounds like you don't though). I've also had strawberries grilled the same way. You just slice them and put them on skewers.

I also think freezing for smoothies later is a great idea.

Ugh, I'd love to have some good peaches right now, but at our local stores, they're not that great or are all bruised and have fruit flies swarming :-(

Just personal experience, but I have found that when we freeze peaches, they do NOT defrost well. They end up all squashy and put off way too much juice. They taste fine but are impossible for any use other than maybe mixing into an oatmeal or something.

This year I did peach freezer jam. It does use a lot of sugar (and you have to buy pectin and find/but the jars), but we kept a jar out to try and WOW is it tasty!! We've eaten it on toast, English muffins, bagels, with cream cheese, on a peanut butter sandwich, with waffles, as an ice cream topping - it turned out wonderful!

Melt 50 big marshmallows with 1 cup milk..

Set aside to cool completely

Mix together a box of graham cracker crumbs, 1 cup butter, melted, and 2 Tbsp sugar

press into 8 x 13 and put in fridge

when marshmallow mix is cooled, whip 2 cups cream until stiff

add marshmallow mix and whip

Peel and slice up 5 - 6 peaches, dump into whipped mix and pour into pan.

refrigerate

My coworker makes this each year for us and it is AMAZING!!

Just personal experience, but I have found that when we freeze peaches, they do NOT defrost well. They end up all squashy and put off way too much juice. They taste fine but are impossible for any use other than maybe mixing into an oatmeal or something.

This year I did peach freezer jam. It does use a lot of sugar (and you have to buy pectin and find/but the jars), but we kept a jar out to try and WOW is it tasty!! We've eaten it on toast, English muffins, bagels, with cream cheese, on a peanut butter sandwich, with waffles, as an ice cream topping - it turned out wonderful!

Frozen peaches are really only good for smoothies and cooking but you can do cobblers, jam, etc. with them. You can reduce the sugar in freezer jam recipes and there are low sugar recipes. You don't have to use any special containers. You can re-use jars you have around the house. Just clean them very well and leave very little air space. We really like freezer jams. I've made peach ginger and peach chipotle and they are yummy. I also recently saw a recipe for peach apple butter. It looks good and is refrigerated.

My peach tree is way too full. We are eating many peaches everyday, and not making a dent. We have had neighbours over to pick the peaches, and still the tree is overloaded. I hate to see them go to waste, for they are the sweetest, most delicious peaches we have ever had from our own backyard, but we just can't eat them all in the next week!

Every recipe I find has something to do with making peach pie or canning the peaches. I have never canned a thing, and not sure I am willing to buy all that is needed to can peaches. I do not like pie at all, as I find it too sweet, plus I don't like pie crust one bit.

I have looked into freezing the peaches, but every instruction says to add cupfuls of sugar before freezing. I understand wanting a preservative of some sort so the peaches don't lose colour, but I wonder if the added sugar will make the peaches even sweeter when we take them out to thaw in the winter? At this time, those peaches need no sugar at all!

Any other ideas? Anyone want to come help me pick some peaches? :)

Where do you live? I'll be right over .... :lmao:

I just made a batch of peach popsicles. Great treats that my toddler loves.

If you have a dehydrator you could make peach fruit leather. I have been doing quite a few fruit leathers recently. They stay good that way for a long time.

Thanks! I appreciate the ideas!

I am so glad to hear that I can just freeze peaches without the sugar. Off to the store later to buy the lemons for this! And the rest, I shall donate to the pantry, if they will take them. I had heard awhile back that our pantry doesn't take "fresh" food, only store bought, but I will call and see, maybe they changed their minds for the summer crop.

Times like this, I wish I had more neighbours! :)

Try a soup kitchen or something similar. We have a few local "ministries" in town that will take produce from private gardens.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter