Too Many Changes Since Summer 2012

Lorelai

Unapologetic Palm Tree Hugger
It's only been a little over 2 yrs since I've last been to WDW, and for someone who considers herself an "experienced" WDW planner, I feel completely lost!
I have four major questions that I just can't figure out, so any advice from those familiar w/ wristbands and FP+ is greatly appreciated.

(1) Are old school (cant believe i just had to call it that) Magic Your Way tkts now obsolete, and actual wristbands are the new tickets?

(2) Are old school FastPass machines that you put your tickets in on a daily basis obsolete as well?

(3) is FastPass + literally the only way to get FastPasses...and does it have to be done in advance?

(4) Must you be staying "on site" to be allowed to take advantage of FP+?

Thank you...and if I have to begin scheduling anything else in advance in addition to "Park based on meal, meal based on day, FP+ based on Park, Meal and Day", I may have to roll over. Lets hope the restrooms do not need to be factored in to this system. If they do, I'll need to book my stop after ToT. :goodvibes

It's only been a little over 2 yrs since I've last been to WDW, and for someone who considers herself an "experienced" WDW planner, I feel completely lost!
I have four major questions that I just can't figure out, so any advice from those familiar w/ wristbands and FP+ is greatly appreciated.

(1) Are old school (cant believe i just had to call it that) Magic Your Way tkts now obsolete, and actual wristbands are the new tickets?

(2) Are old school FastPass machines that you put your tickets in on a daily basis obsolete as well?

(3) is FastPass + literally the only way to get FastPasses...and does it have to be done in advance?

(4) Must you be staying "on site" to be allowed to take advantage of FP+?

Thank you...and if I have to begin scheduling anything else in advance in addition to "Park based on meal, meal based on day, FP+ based on Park, Meal and Day", I may have to roll over. Lets hope the restrooms do not need to be factored in to this system. If they do, I'll need to book my stop after ToT. :goodvibes

Questions 2-4 are answered in the green link in my signature, along with many others you probably haven't even thought of yet.

Read Mesaboy's post (which should be a sticky but for some strange reason is not)

1) Nope. If you buy stand-alone non-package tickets, they come on hard plastic cards. They get "linked" to an online account, which the MagicBands are also linked to. The cards are valid for park admission. If you have tickets from before the switch to RFID-enabled cards, they'll switch them out for you. As far as I know, package tickets only exist in the physical realm if you ask for them, but I could be wrong. :lmao:

2) Yes. Gone. No more.

3) Yes, the only way. But no, does not have to be done in advance. Most things are available same-day except for Anna and Elsa, Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, and a few of the headliners like Toy Story Mania. Test Track, Soarin, etc depend on crowd levels - they had them same-day in the last week of August. YMMV.

4) Nope. On-site visitors can book FP+ 60 days from their trip, but off-site visitors can book 30 days from their trip. Still an advance window, just not as advantageous for A&E and 7DMT. I'm pretty sure you can still get TSM and the other headliners at 30 days though.

Edit - and yes, read mesaboy2's link. Great info.

Read Mesaboy's post (which should be a sticky but for some strange reason is not)

I've been convinced that stickies are not read as much as you would think. After a while they blend in with the headers and the ads.

Though it's a little harder to find (only sometimes falling off the first page), the thread is pretty easy to notice for anyone willing to spend a quick moment to look over the current topics.

Questions 2-4 are answered in the green link in my signature, along with many others you probably haven't even thought of yet.

Thank you! I looked for a sticky thread, but didn't find what I thought would answer my q's. I will check out your info!

1) Nope. If you buy stand-alone non-package tickets, they come on hard plastic cards. They get "linked" to an online account, which the MagicBands are also linked to. The cards are valid for park admission. If you have tickets from before the switch to RFID-enabled cards, they'll switch them out for you. As far as I know, package tickets only exist in the physical realm if you ask for them, but I could be wrong. :lmao:

2) Yes. Gone. No more.

3) Yes, the only way. But no, does not have to be done in advance. Most things are available same-day except for Anna and Elsa, Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, and a few of the headliners like Toy Story Mania. Test Track, Soarin, etc depend on crowd levels - they had them same-day in the last week of August. YMMV.

4) Nope. On-site visitors can book FP+ 60 days from their trip, but off-site visitors can book 30 days from their trip. Still an advance window, just not as advantageous for A&E and 7DMT. I'm pretty sure you can still get TSM and the other headliners at 30 days though.

Edit - and yes, read mesaboy2's link. Great info.

Thank you, thank you! Wow, you have the info alright :worship: May I ask, if some FP+ can actually be done same day, how does that work without the old school FastPass machines? Where do you go to get them & is it a little ticket, like it used to be? Also, if I do want to add FP+ 30 days out on our stand alone tickets, are we then sent FP+ wristbands?...or do the FP+ choices get added to the ticket? Thank you!!

Thank you, thank you! Wow, you have the info alright :worship: May I ask, if some FP+ can actually be done same day, how does that work without the old school FastPass machines? Where do you go to get them & is it a little ticket, like it used to be?

Read the first post in the referenced thread. ;) The other two links in my signature are helpful also.

May I ask, if some FP+ can actually be done same day, how does that work without the old school FastPass machines? Where do you go to get them
You go to an in-park kiosk, but why would you? Getting your FPs even one day in advance will put you ahead of a great many guests who wait until day-of to get their FPs. Plus you don't waste time at an in-park kiosk.

You don't have to plan 30 days in advance, but at least a day or two will save you valuable vacation time in the parks, and you will get a better choice of ride times.

Thank you so much for asking your questions. We are also "experienced WDW planners" who have not been to the World since 2012. I just signed into DIS boards to ask basically the same questions as I am in the beginning planning stages of our next trip from California to Florida. I shall now go to the links that posters have led you to for my answers.

Happy planning.

Thank you so much for asking your questions. We are also "experienced WDW planners" who have not been to the World since 2012. I just signed into DIS boards to ask basically the same questions as I am in the beginning planning stages of our next trip from California to Florida. I shall now go to the links that posters have led you to for my answers.

Happy planning.

Happy planning to you too! It's amazing how much has changed in only 2 years!

You go to an in-park kiosk, but why would you? Getting your FPs even one day in advance will put you ahead of a great many guests who wait until day-of to get their FPs. Plus you don't waste time at an in-park kiosk.

You don't have to plan 30 days in advance, but at least a day or two will save you valuable vacation time in the parks, and you will get a better choice of ride times.

Excellent suggestions! I will definitely heed this advice. Thank you!

Read the first post in the referenced thread. ;) The other two links in my signature are helpful also.

Wow! Your link answered all but one of my questions. Thank you for taking the time to help so many understand this new process. I am definitely booking the FP+ online 30 days out, but since I will already have a hard ticket in hand, how do I actually get those FP's? You said no need to go to in park kiosk if I book online...but how will I get them then since I am ordering my tickets today for a spring visit?

Wow! Your link answered all but one of my questions. Thank you for taking the time to help so many understand this new process. I am definitely booking the FP+ online 30 days out, but since I will already have a hard ticket in hand, how do I actually get those FP's? You said no need to go to in park kiosk if I book online...but how will I get them then since I am ordering my tickets today for a spring visit?

I'm not fully understanding your question. If you have an old, unused hard copy ticket in hand, you can link it to your My Disney Experience account using its serial number. You will then be able to book FP+s. When you get to the park, they will have to reissue you a hard ticket (an RFID-enabled card) because the old paper tickets themselves can't be used to gain access to the park anymore...you need a new, plastic RFID-enabled ticket to get through the park entrance. The old turnstiles have been replaced with RFID readers.

If you don't have old tickets and are buying them online today, I believe they'll automatically link to your My Disney Experience account. If you don't have a Disney account, when those tickets arrive in the mail, you will then set up your Disney account and link the tickets (again using the serial number) at that time. After tickets are linked, you'll be able to book FP+s online in advance.

Note that if you don't have an onsite reservation, you won't get complimentary Magic Bands and instead will use your RFID-enabled card on the RFID readers. You'll have the opportunity to purchase a Magic Band if you want one.

ETA: FP+s do not exist on paper. There is no longer paper associated with any sort of FP+. They're all electronic, and you get them by making and account on the My Disney Experience website and booking them online, similar to what you do with dining reservations.

I'm not fully understanding your question. If you have an old, unused hard copy ticket in hand, you can link it to your My Disney Experience account using its serial number. You will then be able to book FP+s. When you get to the park, they will have to reissue you a hard ticket (an RFID-enabled card) because the old paper tickets themselves can't be used to gain access to the park anymore...you need a new, plastic RFID-enabled ticket to get through the park entrance. The old turnstiles have been replaced with RFID readers.

If you don't have old tickets and are buying them online today, I believe they'll automatically link to your My Disney Experience account. If you don't have a Disney account, when those tickets arrive in the mail, you will then set up your Disney account and link the tickets (again using the serial number) at that time. After tickets are linked, you'll be able to book FP+s online in advance.

Note that if you don't have an onsite reservation, you won't get complimentary Magic Bands and instead will use your RFID-enabled card on the RFID readers. You'll have the opportunity to purchase a Magic Band if you want one.

ETA: FP+s do not exist on paper. There is no longer paper associated with any sort of FP+. They're all electronic, and you get them by making and account on the My Disney Experience website and booking them online, similar to what you do with dining reservations.

Your last bit of info (about FastPasses no longer existing on paper) is EXACTLY the crucial piece of info I was missing. Lol. I thought they had to exist on paper, either obtained from what I keep hearing referred to as "FastPass Kiosks", on wristbands, or independently, as some sort of other add-on media to tickets. Thank you!

You will have to spend more time planning this vacation then you ever had in the past. There were major changes announced (Limits, Tiering, 4th FP's) between every trip I made last year.

Continue to log on to the disboards. Think of it as your new part time job!

Thank you, thank you! Wow, you have the info alright :worship: May I ask, if some FP+ can actually be done same day, how does that work without the old school FastPass machines? Where do you go to get them & is it a little ticket, like it used to be? Also, if I do want to add FP+ 30 days out on our stand alone tickets, are we then sent FP+ wristbands?...or do the FP+ choices get added to the ticket? Thank you!!

I'm in your boat - haven't been in a few years, and wow, I wanted to do Universal! Please dd, dh, can we skip WDW please? I was outvoted... completely! :rotfl2:

I showed dh the FP+ etc thread, this is the homework I have to do before we go. His answer? "I know we've made fun of you for the commando touring, but we miss it, we want to do Disney!"

I'm serious, I don't want to "do Disney"

But we made reservations, and I took the confirmation number, and I got an MDE account - nice Disney sent us a pamphlet, which included the dates for me to make reservations - some at 180, some at 60, and some at 30!

If you are planning to stay off site - you should read the long thread about a ""throwaway" room. It may be a "legal loophole" but I gave up and just booked a Disney room!

You will have to spend more time planning this vacation then you ever had in the past. There were major changes announced (Limits, Tiering, 4th FP's) between every trip I made last year.

Continue to log on to the disboards. Think of it as your new part time job!

And here I thought I was an expert! Lol. I'm a newbie after 11 beautifully planned trips!!

I'm in your boat - haven't been in a few years, and wow, I wanted to do Universal! Please dd, dh, can we skip WDW please? I was outvoted... completely! :rotfl2:

I showed dh the FP+ etc thread, this is the homework I have to do before we go. His answer? "I know we've made fun of you for the commando touring, but we miss it, we want to do Disney!"

I'm serious, I don't want to "do Disney"

But we made reservations, and I took the confirmation number, and I got an MDE account - nice Disney sent us a pamphlet, which included the dates for me to make reservations - some at 180, some at 60, and some at 30!

If you are planning to stay off site - you should read the long thread about a ""throwaway" room. It may be a "legal loophole" but I gave up and just booked a Disney room!

Oh my! But why would anyone throwaway a perfectly good room?...unless to get a perk? But then there's the guilt. I'd never survive the guilt :blush: Plus, I've always been irked by people trying to navigate these questionable plans. It's not worth it. Also, from the replies to this post, it seems like you can still get FPs 30 days out, even if you are offsite, as long as you have purchased tkts and created an account. I also think it was alluded to that you can purchase wristbands separate. Is that true? It's all so new! Ahhhhh

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter