Too Many Acronymns!

Sorry the language is confusing.

As many have pointed out, most posters are happy to tell you the meaning if you ask.

As a new poster someone was kind enough to not only tell me the meaning but direct me to the abbreviations post so I could translate myself and not feel like a pest for asking.

The list is not definitive because new stuff pops up all the time and mileage may vary, still it is a valuable resource.

Personally I think the abbreviations are fun. I like the challenge.

What I like about this place is (yes we do get snippy with each other) that most posters here will take the time to answer a question no matter how many times a day it has been asked.

The DD,DH,DS,DBF made me pukey and a little ragey at first but I just gave in over time and have used them my self. barf.

So my advice is that if you hang around long enough and DRINK MOAR KOOLAID the adverse reaction to abbreviations will dissipate. Good Luck!

I know I said I was done but I've so enjoyed the last couple pages of personal attacks.

Here come some acronyms:
BTW: I've received several PM's agreeing with my point about it making the forum an unfriendly place for beginners. For such a friendly place I sure do see a lot of people making off topic personal attacks in this forum as a whole. I especially liked the post inferring that my post has no relevance and my opinion should not be listened to because of a typo. I also fully expect that there will be one or two people that stalk all my responses for a while and criticize or PM me If I use an acronym. That is just how internet forums work. There are always a few people that get really worked up about any criticism or suggestion about their favorite site.

I just don't see why it is such a burden to type something out once. At least where it is obvious that the person is new. Especially when it is the title of the thread. You only have to type the title of the thread once when you are first creating it. That's just lazy. If the title of the thread is "Port Orleans Riverside" then you should feel free to "POR" to your hearts content in that thread. If you're in the "Caribbean Beach Resort" thread then "CBR" like your life depended on it. If you are in a thread where you are responding to someone who is obviously knowledgeable of the subject at hand then go crazy. If the question is a generic question about moderate resorts and you throw down a list of alphabet soup in your response you really aren't being helpful.

Anyways, as I've mentioned I didn't and still don't think this thread will make much if any difference. Hopefully a few people will make some effort to not be confusing. Some people will probably double down and be as confusing as possible for a week until they get over their temper tantrum at what they considered a personal attack on them even though I went to lengths to not point out anyone. I easily could have been posting examples all along but decided to take the high road. Yes, some of my responses have been trollish but that was mostly to encourage more responses and make sure I kept the thread bumped for 24 hours. popcorn:: As of this time there have been 3,786 viewings of this thread and 101 responses. Remember my statement about the viewers to posters ratio in forums? I wasn't making that up. I obviously have no way to pull any numbers for Disboards but I am assuming it is like just about every other forum and would bet that a huge percentage of those views are from people that just read and don't even have accounts. Those are the people here looking for information that come once and can't understand what the heck is going on and leave to never return.

I am glad you posted and fully agree with your point of view. Sometimes people here don't like to read posts that differ in opinion from the majority of posters. You will get called a troll and much worse. It doesn't matter if only a few agree with you it is not like there is a right or wrong answer on this or most of the other issues discussed here.

I know I said I was done but I've so enjoyed the last couple pages of personal attacks.

Here come some acronyms:
BTW: I've received several PM's agreeing with my point about it making the forum an unfriendly place for beginners. For such a friendly place I sure do see a lot of people making off topic personal attacks in this forum as a whole. I especially liked the post inferring that my post has no relevance and my opinion should not be listened to because of a typo. I also fully expect that there will be one or two people that stalk all my responses for a while and criticize or PM me If I use an acronym. That is just how internet forums work. There are always a few people that get really worked up about any criticism or suggestion about their favorite site.

I just don't see why it is such a burden to type something out once. At least where it is obvious that the person is new. Especially when it is the title of the thread. You only have to type the title of the thread once when you are first creating it. That's just lazy. If the title of the thread is "Port Orleans Riverside" then you should feel free to "POR" to your hearts content in that thread. If you're in the "Caribbean Beach Resort" thread then "CBR" like your life depended on it. If you are in a thread where you are responding to someone who is obviously knowledgeable of the subject at hand then go crazy. If the question is a generic question about moderate resorts and you throw down a list of alphabet soup in your response you really aren't being helpful.

Anyways, as I've mentioned I didn't and still don't think this thread will make much if any difference. Hopefully a few people will make some effort to not be confusing. Some people will probably double down and be as confusing as possible for a week until they get over their temper tantrum at what they considered a personal attack on them even though I went to lengths to not point out anyone. I easily could have been posting examples all along but decided to take the high road. Yes, some of my responses have been trollish but that was mostly to encourage more responses and make sure I kept the thread bumped for 24 hours. popcorn:: As of this time there have been 3,786 viewings of this thread and 101 responses. Remember my statement about the viewers to posters ratio in forums? I wasn't making that up. I obviously have no way to pull any numbers for Disboards but I am assuming it is like just about every other forum and would bet that a huge percentage of those views are from people that just read and don't even have accounts. Those are the people here looking for information that come once and can't understand what the heck is going on and leave to never return.

You wonder why it is such a burden to type things out. Maybe you should ask that of yourself, as you have used quite a few in the above post.

Or is it that people should only use the ones you deem ok?

We were all beginners here once and we all got used to all of the acronyms. If you just hang in there, you'll get used to them too. If you REALLY cannot figure out what a specific acronym stands for, usually a polite inquiry will get you the answer in a matter of minutes.

Maybe you should be the one adjusts to the way this board is, rather than asking thousands of people who've been here for many, many years to change for you.

I agree the acronyms are way overboard here, but the group think here is strong. I honestly think people put more thought and effort into typing:

DH, DD (7). DD (12) and DS (13)

Than saying:

my husband and three kids (7, 12 and 13)

But, the effort to fit in here is strong.

I particularly enjoy that you can put MNSSHP and MVMCP because it's obvious people know what you're trying to say, but watch how fast someone is to correct you if you put "Ohana's".

Reactions: TAK
This board is free and extremely helpful. If you want to benefit from it, you have to adapt to it. If you feel excluded because you are not down with the lingo, you need to think about why that bothers you and work to fix yourself, not expect the board to adapt to you.

That being said, I do think there are many helpful people who will help with details. Just ask!

I agree the acronyms are way overboard here, but the group think here is strong. I honestly think people put more thought and effort into typing:

Than saying:

I particularly enjoy that you can put MNSSHP and MVMCP because it's obvious people know what you're trying to say, but watch how fast someone is to correct you if you put "Ohana's".

I had to look up MNSSHP and MVMCP when I first saw them, as well as POFQ and several others. I think that your post simply proves that once you know what each acronym means, you enjoy using it and find the convenience worth the effort of explaining to another person who wants to know what it means.

This board is no different from any other. There is a "lingo" that needs to be learned, but most folks will offer any help that is needed.

This board is no different than real life. Many jobs use acronyms, and new people have to adapt and learn them all the time because the job isn't going to stop using them.

For the record, (FTR), I do whatever I can to help people plan Disney trips. I'm always happy to answer questions of any kind. Many people here are the same way. All you have to do is ask for help when you need it. The post you posted as an example of being very confusing was actually quite easy for me to read...because I stuck around and learned and asked questions when I needed to.

I do not have a problem with posts that use acronyms because it is simple for me - I will not read that post.

The response is, "Oh, it is easier and quicker to type using acronyms instead of typing out the entire word." Still, I see posts that are several paragraphs long, yet the that person in the middle of the posting will use EP instead of EPCOT because it saves so much time.

They say, "Get on board!" or "This is the language of this forum," and "Conform."

No thank you. I will just move onto the next posting.

Than saying:

Just to be sure you know, the DH, DD, DS, DC, etc usage is in no way unique to DisBoards. I have been on various message boards, going back to when I went to tanning beds 15 years ago, that used DH, DD, DS, etc. I am fairly sure they have been around about as long as message boards have. I am not positive I know where they originated, other than I assume it was to prevent giving your spouses/children's names for anonymity's sake. The Dis just adopted commonly used acronyms. You probably knew that but wanted to point it out since that is the example you gave of unnecessary use of short cuts.

I still find it very pretentious to request the entire existing community change to fit a few who can't learn the new language. The comparison to expecting folks in a foreign country you visit speak your language vs. you learning theirs is very appropriate. You'd never walk in to a bar in France and demand they speak English because they aren't friendly enough when they speak French since you can't understand it. Not sure why you'd ask folks to change here. The new comers can easily ask for translation or learn. I did. Everyone here did.

Do you go to other countries demanding they speak English? No? Okay. (I'm sure are are exceptions, such as the main tourist destinations, but let's use a little logic here)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter