• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Too late once paid in full?

mevelandry

DIS Veteran
Hi!

I was super excited to visit Miami and Key West but turns out the trip is going to be crazy expensive.

The price for the plane tickets are just ridiculous (at least 1000$ CAN)... and the best rate I have found for our 2 nights before the cruise is 375$ (+ fees = 1100$ CAN)

That represent a 5000$ (expenses at the ports not included) vacation for us...

I think I'm having a panic attack!

The cruise is paid in full.

Is it too late to switch back our cruise to Port Canaveral?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: We changed itinerary and dates. Now leaving from PC for a 4 nights on the Dream.

Last edited:
Hi!

I was super excited to visit Miami and Key West but turns out the trip is going to be crazy expensive.

The price for the plane tickets are just ridiculous (at least 1000$ CAN)... and the best rate I have found for our 2 nights before the cruise is 375$ (+ fees = 1100$ CAN)

That represent a 5000$ vacation for us...

I think I'm having a panic attack!

The cruise is paid in full.

Is it too late to switch back our cruise to Port Canaveral?

Thanks in advance!
As long as you are not past the Paid in Full date (the offical PIF date, not just that you've paid in full), you can change/cancel your cruise with no penalties. Except for Concierge bookings - then you lose you deposit.

Is the cruise going to be cheaper by going out of Port Canaveral vs. Miami?

Did you look at flying into ft lauderdale? We found it to be much cheaper, but admit that we did take advantage of Southwests low fares and free baggage. Not sure if this would be cheaper for you too.

As long as you are not past the Paid in Full date (the offical PIF date, not just that you've paid in full), you can change/cancel your cruise with no penalties. Except for Concierge bookings - then you lose you deposit.

Is the cruise going to be cheaper by going out of Port Canaveral vs. Miami?

The price will be about the same. Without the crazy airfare and the crazy prices for the hotel! We would save more than a thousand dollars.

Our PIF date is January 2016.

I believe you can get all your money back until your final payment date.

If you are six months out, you aren't there yet. I sail (the same trip you booked) in December and our final payment date is September 25.

I'm looking forward to the Key West stop, although it is short. We are staying two nights in Miami Beach. http://www.edgewatersouthbeach.com/ Our December price is under $200. It is higher in February.

Good luck!

Hi

We did a lot of research on hotels in Miami. If you are willing to stay near the hotel rather than the beach it may be cheaper. Hampton Inn blue lagoon is less than 200 and is not on the bed bug registry. Homestead suite when i looked for my dates was less than 200. We are going in end of Jan which is the peak season for Miami. You could call Uber for a ride to the port.

Have you considered flying into Orlando and driving? Florida is large, but Orlando's only about 3.5 hours driving from Miami, and a good portion of that is along the Florida coast. You could probably find a reasonably priced beach hotel somewhere between Ft. Pierce and Boca Raton (I know someone from Jupiter who says it's the best!).

Unfortunately we have no drivers license... Public Transportation is too efficient in Montreal. :)

As long as you are not past your PIF date, you are okay to switch sailings. If you call, they should be able to just transfer the amount you paid to the new reservation.

Would it be cheaper to fly out of Plattsburgh or Burlington? Airfare from Canada is just crazy!

Unfortunately we have no drivers license... Public Transportation is too efficient in Montreal. :)

Out of ft Lauderdale airport SAS transportation is very reasonable, the only cab we had to take was from the hotel to the port. In our ten cruises, we have never rented a car. We found the whole port of Miami experience to be our best yet, we had a hard time figuring out why so many complained about it.

In my experience with airfare, the best rates are 6-7 weeks from my cruise. I realize that's cutting it close for some people though.
Have you tried bidding on Priceline for airfare? Just plan to arrive 2 days before the cruise and 2 days after debarkation

As long as you are not past your PIF date, you are okay to switch sailings. If you call, they should be able to just transfer the amount you paid to the new reservation.

When my husband gets the okay for the switch of vacation, we are doing that. We might even go earlier than expected because the prices are better!

I think some travel sites will refund the difference if the cost of the flights goes down from when you purchase. I know several years ago I purchased flights through Orbitz and a couple months after I booked, the price dropped significantly. I think (my memory isn't what it used to be) they refunded the money directly to my card. It is probable that they now would just issue orbitz credit. But, that could be used to book a hotel stay as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter