Too late for the dining plan...

madmumof2

DIS Veteran
Just working out some numbers and was wondering if we'd be better off on buying the dining plan, if that's even possible?

We go in three weeks and have lots of ADR's booked. I have to say it's tempting to buy (if I can) the dining plan just so I don't worry too much about the cost of meals and if we have enough spending money for food etc, at least we'll know the spending money we do have can be spent on whatever we like and not saved for food!

Our ADR's are;

CRT (already paid for)
Coral Reef
Ohana*Dinner
California Grill*
Boma
Teppan Edo
Mama Melrose*
Ohana*Breakfast
Sanaa
Le Cellier
Whispering Canyon Cafe*

We also get snacks/lunch etc in the parks and will be going to DD at some point too.

Is it worth getting the dining plan, and is that even possible? And if so can I get the CRT refunded to be able to use the dining plan on that too?

Just from looking at your signature it looks like you're staying offsite?

Unfortunately the dining plan can only be purchased if you are staying onsite!

Just working out some numbers and was wondering if we'd be better off on buying the dining plan, if that's even possible?

We go in three weeks and have lots of ADR's booked. I have to say it's tempting to buy (if I can) the dining plan just so I don't worry too much about the cost of meals and if we have enough spending money for food etc, at least we'll know the spending money we do have can be spent on whatever we like and not saved for food!

Our ADR's are;

CRT (already paid for)
Coral Reef
Ohana*Dinner
California Grill*
Boma
Teppan Edo
Mama Melrose*
Ohana*Breakfast
Sanaa
Le Cellier
Whispering Canyon Cafe*

We also get snacks/lunch etc in the parks and will be going to DD at some point too.

Is it worth getting the dining plan, and is that even possible? And if so can I get the CRT refunded to be able to use the dining plan on that too?

how are you booked?
did you book directly with disney?

DD was there in August and i booked her room directly with disney in the USA.
Then 10 days before she got to orlando, i added the dining plan to her reservation. It wasn't a problem at all. But it had to be done more than 5 days before she got there.

but there was one issue - i would have had to buy a 2 day ticket for everyone in the room, but she had an AP, so they put her on the AP plan.

In other words, it might be a problem to add on.

Plus i don't know who you booked with.

i suggest you speak with whomever you booked the rooms with to see if you can add on the DDP.

and i agree- when you pay for the DDP in advance, it somehow takes off the pressure of paying for your meals.

Just from looking at your signature it looks like you're staying offsite?

Unfortunately the dining plan can only be purchased if you are staying onsite!

Ahhh bugger, is that a definite or just the norm? lol I'm booked with Cosmos.

Never mind, at least that's an easy decision to make! lol

Ahhh bugger, is that a definite or just the norm? lol I'm booked with Cosmos.

Never mind, at least that's an easy decision to make! lol

now you see how observant i am - i didn't even look at your signature..

DDP is only for onsite hotels....that's part of disney's marketing plan to get people to stay onsite..

Hey hun its a definate that it is ONLY for onsite guests :(

This is why i dont think ill ever be staying off site as i hate doing Disney without the DDP!
You do have loads of ADR's considering your staying off site,I dont think ive seen so many booked by an off site guest as most people say they would never pay the onsite prices :rotfl:

The best way to do it since your offsite would be to put down a decent amount onto a Disney gift card and use that as if its your dining plan.
This way you can put what you would have paid for the DDP onto the Giftcard and have all your meals and snacks pre-paid :)

I know of quite a few people who have done this,we did it ourselves the 1st yr we went when we knew nothing about the DDP until we arrived at Pop!! Thats when we decided we would pop what we could afford onto the GC that way the rest of our money was for everything else we wanted and not food.

We also do this now for the Tip money we put on 500 dollars and this is purely for the tips "God that makes me feel ill just thinking about the fact that money is just for tips!"

NOT LONG NOW :cool1:

Hey hun its a definate that it is ONLY for onsite guests :(

This is why i dont think ill ever be staying off site as i hate doing Disney without the DDP!
You do have loads of ADR's considering your staying off site,I dont think ive seen so many booked by an off site guest as most people say they would never pay the onsite prices :rotfl:

The best way to do it since your offsite would be to put down a decent amount onto a Disney gift card and use that as if its your dining plan.
This way you can put what you would have paid for the DDP onto the Giftcard and have all your meals and snacks pre-paid :)

I know of quite a few people who have done this,we did it ourselves the 1st yr we went when we knew nothing about the DDP until we arrived at Pop!! Thats when we decided we would pop what we could afford onto the GC that way the rest of our money was for everything else we wanted and not food.

We also do this now for the Tip money we put on 500 dollars and this is purely for the tips "God that makes me feel ill just thinking about the fact that money is just for tips!"

NOT LONG NOW :cool1:

Haha, last time we DID stay onsite, at POP and we didn't do the dining plan then either, and I think we had even more ADR's than this year! :rotfl:

What can I say, I love the Disney restaurants! lol

Next time (whispers so future hubby can't hear!) we'll stay onsite and for the first time try the dining plan! :D

Good idea on having a separate card for dining! I have 3 post office travel cards and now after they refunded what they owed me a fairfx card too. I have $1k on each of the PO ones so one of those should be plenty right?? Or am I being optimistic there, I'm not sure quite how much the prices have risen in 3 years! :rotfl2:

Fairfx only has $200 on, I think I'll let the kids use that one and when it's gone it's gone!

Even if you do stay onsite I would not buy the DDP myself, its great free but there isn't a chance I could get value out of it by paying, its too expensiv, cheaper to pay OOP for us.

Even if you do stay onsite I would not buy the DDP myself, its great free but there isn't a chance I could get value out of it by paying, its too expensiv, cheaper to pay OOP for us.

I don't know what it costs or if it's worth it financially, I was thinking about the ease and lack of thought/worrying, but the suggestion above is perfect!

I'll use one of my travel cards for dining only, one to pay off the rest of the wedding/marriage licence etc and the others can be for goodies! :D

As a guide I usually budget $100 per ADR for 3 of us 2a,1c. That usually includes entrees, desserts, drinks, tax & tip.

Offsite a sit down meal costs about $50 for everything eating at places like Outback, Olive Garden etc

It's the CS that more difficult to budget - most times (in a park) DH will get a combo meal, I'll get a sandwich on its own & DD has a kids meal. DH & I share a large drink (no ice) as it is cheaper than 2 regulars and more than enough once they remove the ice :lmao: This is usually in the region of $20-30. I only get the main on its own as I don't need my own side as there is always to share plus it stops waste as we would either throw some away or take some of the kids meal with us and throw it away later!! I also do not need that quantity of food :lmao:

As a guide I usually budget $100 per ADR for 3 of us 2a,1c. That usually includes entrees, desserts, drinks, tax & tip.

Offsite a sit down meal costs about $50 for everything eating at places like Outback, Olive Garden etc

It's the CS that more difficult to budget - most times (in a park) DH will get a combo meal, I'll get a sandwich on its own & DD has a kids meal. DH & I share a large drink (no ice) as it is cheaper than 2 regulars and more than enough once they remove the ice :lmao: This is usually in the region of $20-30. I only get the main on its own as I don't need my own side as there is always to share plus it stops waste as we would either throw some away or take some of the kids meal with us and throw it away later!! I also do not need that quantity of food :lmao:

We don't have starters either so that should save a bit :D we do have 5 of us though and looking at the menus our favourites tend to be the most expensive option! So I think we'll be setting $150 at least per meal for everything.

At least then if it's less it's a bonus, but we won't be shocked or short if it's at the top of that budget!

Haha, last time we DID stay onsite, at POP and we didn't do the dining plan then either, and I think we had even more ADR's than this year! :rotfl:

What can I say, I love the Disney restaurants! lol

Next time (whispers so future hubby can't hear!) we'll stay onsite and for the first time try the dining plan! :D

Good idea on having a separate card for dining! I have 3 post office travel cards and now after they refunded what they owed me a fairfx card too. I have $1k on each of the PO ones so one of those should be plenty right?? Or am I being optimistic there, I'm not sure quite how much the prices have risen in 3 years! :rotfl2:

Fairfx only has $200 on, I think I'll let the kids use that one and when it's gone it's gone!

You will have plenty :)

If your anything like me my favs are usually the most expensive on the menu :rotfl: and I refuse to have to budget which is why ive bought the plan before getting it for free!

For me its the fact that i know my food is paid for and i will be able to pick what ever i like! I know that if i was paying OOP that i would only eat what i really wanted a few times and so this is why the plan id perfect for us "wether its worth it or not"
We do not eat starters but will ALWAYS have a dessert! I know loads of people say ots not worth it as they dont eat dessert with every TS meal but may prefer a starter, well i definatly feel my meal is only finished when i have dessert wether it be shared with DH or to myself (Dh hates my sharing his lol as he really likes it to himself!) so its normally to myself and this way i dont have to worry about wether i can finish one to myslef or not as i get it with the meal either way :).
We dont ever use up all our CS meals as we normally share alot of them due to the size so this would be the only area in which we might save OOP BUT saying that,The boys love to take home a bucket load of treats and so we get the CS so the boys can have the dessert and drink for during the day that way they save all of their snack credits to take home bags of sweets/lollys/character pez things etc and they only finished the last huge lolly last wk! (thats 2yrs on) as we brought home about 40 bags of sweets and lollipops :lmao:.

I think the idea of using 1 of your cards for Dining and the other for treats etc is the most clever that way you know your food is paid for really and everything else is left to spend :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter