Too funny

dgagnon519

DVC member AKL since 2009 and SSR since 2020
Here I am going all crazy trying to book character meals for my kids and they tell me "mom we are older now there are only a few characters we want to see, now we pick restaurants based on desserts" They want me to ditch garden grill, akershus, and 1900 park fare. They have done those in the past except for garden grill. They want Kona Cafe, they want the kona kone. They want San Angel Inn both my kids love Mexican and love the inside of San Angel. They would rather do Olivias at our resort than go to 1900 park fare.
I was not expecting this yet. They are 9 and 6.

They still want Crystal Palace, Chef mickeys, ohanas, and Cape May for characters though.

Haha. Got to love kids thinking with their stomachs! :)

I've eaten at Olivia's on many occasions (we almost always stay at OKW), but I don't ever remember it for its desserts!

I think it may be more of a case of character overload considering how many character meals are still on their lists. They're not outgrowing the character meals. They're just wanting more variety. Heck, I want more variety. I never book THAT many character meals in a single trip; I'd go batty.

I love seeing how my kids' tastes change over time. DD12 likes me making at least a couple ADRs where she can order good steak. She wants to stay at the Poly sometime so she can easily get sushi (she's partial to salmon but will devour any kind put in front of her besides things like California Rolls which aren't real sushi anyway). DD9 is still pretty easy going and likes typical kid foods so anywhere's good for her, though I was shocked recently when she asked for sushi (she's partial to tuna). My babies are growing up. sniff sniff....

I also have found now that we had our visit this year that DD8 will be fine on our next visit not having quite so many character meals scheduled. She is getting more "into" the rides and not so much character autographs. Although, when I just asked her...she did say that "we can do some character meals...just not so many as usual". I think that this will give us a lot more flexibility as we use the DlxDP and can do more signature meals.:thumbsup2:woohoo:

This year in EPCOT, we were walking in World Showcase when Goofy came out and waved us to an alley.:rolleyes1 There were Chip & Dale, Goofy, Pluto, Shaker (from Jamboree), Smee... oooooh and Launchpad McQuack :laughing:. There was also a meet & greet for Marie the kitten in the France forward pavillion area. We saw Mary Poppins a number of times too!

It seemed like there were tons of characters everywhere this year!:thumbsup2

My girls are 14 and 11, and they're pretty much over the characters. Maybe a few pics with their favorites, and my DD11 will still light up when a character waves at her from the parade, but otherwise, they're content to eat and ride. They're getting to be mini foodies. Strangely enough they're still pretty picky eaters, but they do like to try new things and love eating at WDW. WDW kids menus are boring, but the appetizers, entrees, and desserts are approachable (no sweetbreads, foie gras, etc). DD14 wants to go to Artist Point for the mushroom soup and berry cobbler. DD11 loves AP because she wants the white chocolate puzzle dessert. Buffets are now scheduled more for the variety of desserts than for any characters. They do grow up, don't they? I think it's wonderful. We can talk about favorite rides, but we can also talk about favorite meals and dishes. It's cool. Just broadens the enjoyment that comes from WDW...

Funny to hear that 6 and 9 year olds saying things like "now that we are older..." They are seasoned vets aren't they.:)

We've already been discussing our dining plans for the coming November. DD14 and DS10 definately have their opinions. Citricos is at the top of their list of restaurants. You can tell already that they have good (and expensive) tastes. They were allowed 2 signature restaurants for the 10 day trip, so with Citricos being one, they chose Jiko as the other. Thanksgiving day was the hardest for them to decide, but they finally said they wanted Olivia's. We aren't big breakfast eaters, but I convinced them to try breakfast at the Crystal Palace, because then they can walk down Main Street with nobody else there. The food definately wasn't the deciding factor on that one.

DH and I will go to Shula's without the kids one night. However, DD has already read the menu (darn the internet!) and said we need to bring her dessert back from the restaurant. I suppose we'll have to give in to her request because she's stuck with her little brother for the evening.

I think it's fun when the kids get involved in the planning. Have fun as your kids get more and more into it. ::MinnieMo

I love character meals, LOL. I never felt like mine had character overload. Although at 9 and 13, while I think they can have some fun being silly w/some of the characters I doubt they'd be into Pooh and some of the younger geared characters. As much as I enjoy the MH and Alice at 1900 we have done it twice so I think we'll skip it. I'm mostly trying to a few of the ones we haven't tried like Ohana Friends, Chef Mickey's, and Cape May. I feel like even if they aren't "into" characters, if they still aren't into appreciating "fine dining" no sense it having them pick at food and I might as well get some fun pics.

Here I am going all crazy trying to book character meals for my kids and they tell me "mom we are older now there are only a few characters we want to see, now we pick restaurants based on desserts"
They still want Crystal Palace, Chef mickeys, ohanas, and Cape May for characters though.

I'm with the kids! :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter