Too expensive to stay on site

Thanks for all the replies. I only mentioned AK because when I put in our info on the disney site that was the cheapest that we could all fit in. Everything else said exceeds capacity. The rv sounds interesting, but how many bathrooms does that have? We will be flying so would need to rent a suburban or van if we stayed offsite. I think I would be too nervous about renting points. I just don't understand it.

Thanks for all the replies. I only mentioned AK because when I put in our info on the disney site that was the cheapest that we could all fit in. Everything else said exceeds capacity. The rv sounds interesting, but how many bathrooms does that have? We will be flying so would need to rent a suburban or van if we stayed offsite. I think I would be too nervous about renting points. I just don't understand it.

I agree, it is hard to find an on-site resort to accommodate large families that won't break the bank. We were originally going to stay at WL in their 2-BR suite but it was just too expensive considering how little time we would actually be spending in the room. I would seriously look into the RVs. I was skeptical at first b/c we use our own camper a lot in the summers, and we enjoy it, but I was less than thrilled at first at the thought of staying on one at Disney....it just didn't scream "Disney" to me. But comparing the costs of staying elsewhere on site and some of the inconveniences of staying off site, it just made sense. The website is floridacamperrentals.com and there are several different styles and sizes and layouts to choose from. The one we're getting has 2 sets of bunk beds for the kids, a queen bed, and a full size pull out couch. The only down side is the bathrooms are very small.

If you want to learn more about renting points - visit David's at dvcrequest.com.

He is a board sponsor and does a great job. You could stay in any 2 bedroom on site. Depending on the time you are going that could very well be at AKL in a standard room. In a 2 bedroom dedicated - That would give you 3 bathrooms, 2 queen beds in one bedroom, a sleeper sofa and sleeper chair in the living room, and a master bedroom with a king. There would be one pack n play as well in the room. (Not all resorts have 3 bathrooms - some have two - and not all have the sleeper chair).

Renting thru David's will cost a little more than going thru the rent:trade board on the dis, but it adds a sizable amount of convenience and protection.

We are loyal to onsite....I absolutely hate going to MK I I have to drive from offsite.....our family Dow all fit in van, but when we travel with extended family we tend to get one car and have most of the group use ME to get to the parks - we use the car for grocery trips or take out dinners sometimes. But garden grocer can work instead for groceries! A group of 8 would surely hit the minimum amounts for free delivery!!!

If you want to learn more about renting points - visit David's at dvcrequest.com.

He is a board sponsor and does a great job. You could stay in any 2 bedroom on site. Depending on the time you are going that could very well be at AKL in a standard room. In a 2 bedroom dedicated - That would give you 3 bathrooms, 2 queen beds in one bedroom, a sleeper sofa and sleeper chair in the living room, and a master bedroom with a king. There would be one pack n play as well in the room. (Not all resorts have 3 bathrooms - some have two - and not all have the sleeper chair).

Renting thru David's will cost a little more than going thru the rent:trade board on the dis, but it adds a sizable amount of convenience and protection.

We are loyal to onsite....I absolutely hate going to MK I I have to drive from offsite.....our family Dow all fit in van, but when we travel with extended family we tend to get one car and have most of the group use ME to get to the parks - we use the car for grocery trips or take out dinners sometimes. But garden grocer can work instead for groceries! A group of 8 would surely hit the minimum amounts for free delivery!!!

I agree with all you've said. In addition, I think AKV-Kidani would appeal to the ages of your kids. All units come with a pack n play, if you need two, just make a request (housekeeping) and you can get an extra...the same for high chairs.

You can also look at Bonnet Creek, Westgate Lake Resort, or Floridays. Just some additional suggestions. There is a Double Tree Suites in Downtown Disney area that some larger families say is affordable.

My family has only been to Disney a couple of times (3rd time scheduled for the end of May) and we have stayed offsite both times. Being able to spread out and not be cramped is essential for us. On both of our previous visits we stayed at Windsor Hills. It is very convenient for getting to the parks - in fact, from what I have read about using on-site transportation I believe it is quicker in most cases - no waiting for the right bus to arrive.

In addition to having the additional room we also had a private swimming pool, game room, and each bedroom had a flat screen tv. We didn't spend much time watching tv but is was nice to know that it was there if we wanted it.

Staying off-site is not for everyone but if cost, space and privacy are important to you then I highly recommend it.

My family has only been to Disney a couple of times (3rd time scheduled for the end of May) and we have stayed offsite both times. Being able to spread out and not be cramped is essential for us. On both of our previous visits we stayed at Windsor Hills. It is very convenient for getting to the parks - in fact, from what I have read about using on-site transportation I believe it is quicker in most cases - no waiting for the right bus to arrive.

In addition to having the additional room we also had a private swimming pool, game room, and each bedroom had a flat screen tv. We didn't spend much time watching tv but is was nice to know that it was there if we wanted it.

Staying off-site is not for everyone but if cost, space and privacy are important to you then I highly recommend it.

My family just wouldn't be happy if we were 'alone' at a house....they don't want to swim in a regular pool - they want a slide, pool activities, music, etc....the kids want to play with other kids their age (plentiful at the resorts) and the parents want to chill....

That being said - if staying offsite - it would be at a house and I would be more likely to be skipping disney parks, hitting seaworld, Lego land, maybe. Water park etc...I do think that there is a time and place for a nice Orlando vacation at a house - just dont think it compares to an ONSITE DISNEY vacation...

We survived many trips in a cramped room as a family of 3, but we own DVC now as a family of 4....I do appreciate the extra space a lot...

I think that the time of year you are making your trip and whether you would ever use extra magic hours is worth considering...as well as the FP pre booking - with a group that size - same day FPs could be hard to navigate...

We have a family of 6, so not quite 8. It is expensive to stay on site...but there are many benefits and I think ultimately it's worth it. It's a different experience. I think your least expensive option would be getting 2 rooms at a Value. I am not sure how it works when you have 2 babies under 3 years old but I do know that one baby under 3 in a crib does not count towards the room capacity. Either way you'd still need more than one average sized room.
Ultimately it just depends on your own individual wants and needs out of your vacation. If you stay on-site you get the free-transportation, charging to your room, magical express, sending items bought in the parks back to your resort, and free parking at the parks if you choose to rent/bring a vehicle. The moderates and deluxes have tons of activities at the resort itself and you can do the dining plan. Another thing to consider especially right now is if you have any interest in doing FastPass+ for rides, the only way you can do that ahead of time is by staying on-site. If you stay off-site and want FastPass+ for any rides you have to go to a designated spot in the park and make your FP+ for the day. Let me tell you it was super convenient to be able to change our FP for the day from an app on my phone while in the parks

My family isn't quite as big as yours but I've done both the connecting rooms at Pop Century (works for any of the Value resorts) and rented a trailer to be delivered to Fort Wilderness (Moore Camping Rentals is who I used, www.mcrfl.com. They are terrific).

The trailers they rent sleep as many as 8 comfortably and you could get by with 10 in some units. We absolutely loved the Fort Wilderness experience and I am not an experienced camper at all. We're doing it this way for our April trip (64 days but who's counting).

You really can't go wrong with either of those 2 approaches. The idea of renting a big house off property is appealing financially, but there's something about being at Disney the entire time that makes the magic that much more special.

Enjoy the planning, I swear that's half the fun of taking these trips!

I do not have a big family but enjoy both onsite AND offsite. My FAVORITE offsite place, which I consider a great compromise between onsite hotel and condo/house rental is STAYBRIDGE SUITES Lake Buena Vista. When we rent a house or condo...It just doesn't feel like 'vacation' to me sometimes. But staying at Staybridge - you get a full HOT breakfast every morning with no cleanup for you -plus the beds get made, etc. with housekeeping - so it just feels more like vacation to me.

You can get a 2 bedroom suite for $100 - $125 per night and that includes the full breakfast (a huge savings itself for a family of 8). The location is great (1 mile of WDW property) and I love being able to grab takeout on the way back after a long day at the park and letting the kids veg and turn on the TV instead of having to fight the crowds at the food court at the onsite resorts.

Now that I'm writing this it is making me wish I was staying there on our next trip. We're trying Swan or Dolphin next time around but I HATE all 4 of us sleeping in one room. I'm a very light sleeper and don't feel rested the whole trip.

We're are going in March, my wife and 7 kids 13,12,8,5,4,2,1... We have two rooms at Pop Century... I was told by my travel agent through Small World Travel that because both rooms are on one reservation we will get adjoining rooms... I know the rooms are gonna be tight but it's our kids first trip and we wanted to stay on site...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter