• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tony's or Sci-fi

We are thinking Sci Fi, should we get a reservation or can we just walk in for lunch?

Get a reservation. I don't know if it's true but I heard or read somewhere that the people with reservations get the first shot at the seats in the cars. Walk-ins get sat at the back tables if the cars are full. I think the reservation is better assurance for a car.

You absolutely need a reservation. We have seen many walk ups turned away. It's a lot of fun!

I'd really love to try this on our upcoming February trip, but DS, who is 5, is still wary of scary images. He doesn't quite get real vs. fake, not even in the case of extreme cheesiness that's presented in the sci fi trailers like the ones they show on the big screen. I think he'd really love the concept though, and I can't really find anyplace to use our remaining TS on our DHS day....

Thoughts? Suggestions?

PS I'm fairly new to the boards here and was unsure whether its better to ask in an existing thread or make my own.

Sci Fi hands down! Unique atmosphere and good food.

Tony's is terrible!

I'd really love to try this on our upcoming February trip, but DS, who is 5, is still wary of scary images. He doesn't quite get real vs. fake, not even in the case of extreme cheesiness that's presented in the sci fi trailers like the ones they show on the big screen. I think he'd really love the concept though, and I can't really find anyplace to use our remaining TS on our DHS day....

Thoughts? Suggestions?

PS I'm fairly new to the boards here and was unsure whether its better to ask in an existing thread or make my own.

I probably am not the best person to comment on this because I don't have kids but with that disclosure I'd say that the restaurant, while somewhat dimly lit, is not like a dark theater. There's a lot going on in there and other noises that the movie screen after a few minutes doesn't seem like the central focus. There are lots of other cars there and the waiters and the food - plenty to distract a kid. And it sounds like you already know it but the movies are very cheesy but I understand your sensitivites and if in doubt then you should go with your instincts! 50's Primetime is also a fun place and has a unique feel to it. I actually think their food is better.

Missypyxi said:

Thoughts? Suggestions?

My 3 year old niece was with me on my last trip, and she LOVED it, she got to sit in the front and "drive" the car. There were no issues with the darkness or scary images or anything. :)

Wow! Thanks y'all! I totally didn't think it would be so overwhelming a response for one restaurant!

Thanks so much! Sci-Fi here welcome! (I'm about to cancel a noon residue at Tony's for Tuesday, oct 9 if anyone is looking! Lol)

Thanks for your responses, everyone! I think we're going to skip it. I talked to DS yesterday about it and he didn't seem keen on the idea. Sorry to hijack your thread, Teresa! Hope you LOVE it there, it looks like so much fun!

We've eaten at both, and repeated both last month. Tony's was just not good. Sci Fi is a must do for DD10. While I thought the buffalo chicken stuffed potatoe appetizer was disgusting, the entree (shrimp pasta), and desert were delicious. We'll just skip the appy next year.

Ate at sci fi today had the burgers and they were really good as per usual never had a bad meal there.

Had the worst service EVER at Tony's, would not go back even though the food was OK. Never had a bad meal at Sci-Fi and the atmosphere is great:thumbsup2

Sci-Fi, but I prefer Sci-Fi for lunch to be honest.

Not necessarily because of food quality, but for environment. I've never eaten at Tony's, so I don't know about their food, but I do love the B-movie drive in atmosphere at Sci-Fi.

My standard answer is that I'll starve before ever eating at Tony's again. We do like sci fi's atmosphere, so that would be my pick.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter