Tony Toon does DDP

Tony Toon

DIS Veteran
Our 14th trip to WDW and our first on DDP and also our first attempt to post live. We'll see how we get on. ;)

Arrived on the 4th July after excellent flights with United. Left Glasgow on time and arrived in Newark early - very helpful for our scheduled 90 minute turn around. :) Immigration cleared very quickly: plenty of officers and we were off the plane relatively quickly so cleared in about 10 minutes giving us loads of time to catch the Airtrain to terminal C and get something light to eat before our flight to MCO. This was delayed by about 50mins but made good time and we touched down 5 mins early at 4pm. :thumbsup2 They did ask at Newark if anyone was prepared to get the next flight down for $200 each and guaranteed seats in 1st class (only 90mins later) and we did volunteer, however a couple of no shows meant we could catch our original connection. :sad:

Magical Express for the first time to OKW was good - just a shame we were the 2nd last drop off. We had phoned prior to our visit to request accessible accommodation (DH going in for knee replacement surgery when we return home and so quite hobbly at the moment) but were given a 2nd floor room in building 30. I'm sure this is lovely but was a bit of a trek for him to the bus and the nearest pool as well as 2 flights of stairs up and down to the room.:confused3 Getting a change of room was a bit of a problem (fully booked, 4th of July and all that) however Ahmed was a star and we were moved to 6220 near Hospitality House (and Cyrano as we've since learned) - still on the 2nd floor but in a building with a lift :cool1:

Had planned on catching 4th July fireworks somewhere but after the travelling, waiting for a room and unpacking we just pick up a CS at Goods and get an early night.

Mrs TT

excellent start to your TR..looking forward to living it with you:thumbsup2

Must admit my hand would have been up in the air straight away for the next plane...such a shame those other people didn't turn up!:)

Eee I saw you posting elsewhere that you were there and was hoping for another OKW live trippy.

Newark is so much quicker in Immigration than JFK I have found....very nice quick turn around shame you couldn't get that lovely offer of getting the next flight.

Glad you managed to get a change of room :) I'm looking forward to reading more :)

Thursday 5th July

Up with the lark and ready to head out to MK for EMH and our traditional ADR breakfast with Pooh and Friends at CP. A slow start as obviously everyone else had the same idea and a lack of buses to MK coupled with Hospitality House being the last stop and buses being full before they get to us means we wait a while. There seem to be plenty of empty buses to Epcot so we hop on one and get the monorail to TTC and then the ferry to MK meaning we are only a few minutes late for our 8:15 slot.

Ahhhhhh Home again ! :thumbsup2

DSCN2891.jpg

After breakfast wehead over to get a FP for Splash but it's down and so we pick up one for Thunder Mountain instead. Haunted Mansion, Mickey's Philharmagic, a wander round to explore the new Fantasyland, train back to Frontierland then time for our FP. Queues at BTM horrendous - even the FP seems long but CMs are on the job and we're on in no time. Head for Pirates but the queues look too long for us so time for a quick drink at Main street Bakery. Some interesting cake choices - check out the hot dog, burger and fries cupcake! :rotfl2:

DSCN2906.jpg

Back to OKW and an afternoon by the pool. A bit noisy for us, however turns out that the previous days 4th July festivities had been postponed because of the weather. Got to admire the energy and enthusiasm of the CM :good vibes

We head back to MK for the evening and decide to use our first CS at Columbia Harbor House. An excellent choice and we both enjoy the salmon couscous and broccoli followed by the apple crisp. :)

DSCN2907.jpg

A relaxing trip on the People Mover and a round on Buzz (I score 546,000 thanks to a short stop in the first gallery - I'm usually pretty useless at these games ;)) and we head over to Main Street for the Magic, Memories and You (absolutely love this and gives me a wee tear every time) followed by Wishes.

Bus back to OKW and asleep the minute our heads hit the pillow. :wave2:

Mrs TT

Glad you got the room sorted out. We stayed in OKW last year and they wanted to put us at the furthest point from the HH. Like your DH my DH is having knee problems and we managed to got moved to Millers road near HH.

Have a wonderful time. :cool1:

I just actually *squeeeee*'d out loud when I saw the picture of you with Tigger!!
:goodvibes

Have a fantastic time!

Friday 6th July

Up and out to catch EMH at Epcot this morning. As usual there are loads of buses to Epcot and so we're there quickly, ready to join the long queue of other Disney guests awaiting entry with the same idea. :)

Head over to Soarin' where the wait time is already showing 45mins so time for a FP and the CS breakfast platter at Sunshine Seasons food court. :cool1: Scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, potato casserole, french toast and biscuit. Sorry folks - forgot to take a photo.:sad: but a great start to the morning.

Time for a float on the Land (although DH did complain it was too early in the day for his traditional snooze on this ride :rotfl:) before our FP window. As we head over notice that FP time is showing 11.10 so given that TT is closed we pick up another one before we ride.

Between FPs we enjoy The Seas with Nemo & Friends and an excellent Crush (one of the best we've seen - brilliant interaction with the audience). :thumbsup2 Time for Soarin' take 2 and we land our favourite spot in row 1. DH and I both comment at the same time that a wee spray of water on our feet at the surfing section would be very welcome!

Time for a wander to World Showcase, past the new Highland Games exhibit for Brave.

DSCN2916.jpg

DSCN2919.jpg

DSCN2920.jpg

We take our usual route, stopping off in the UK for a wee reminisce of when DD was a cast member for 15 months and worked at the Rose and Crown :) Arrive at the American Pavillion for the first of our many visits to hear the Voices of Liberty. We love this a cappella group and an added bonus is that they don't do "Oh Susanna" :rotfl: (It seems to be permanent feature of summer sets)

Back to OKW and time by the pool, then dinner at The Wave.

The plan is to catch a bus to MK, then walk to The Contemporary, however after 30 mins waiting and several buses to everywhere but MK one finally arrives. Phew! The bus drops us off at the furthest possible point away from the walkway and we make our way (or in Dhs case, limp :good vibes) to our ADR. We've never eaten here before but really like the look of the menu and finally decide on the following: -

Smoked tomato bisque with mini grilled cheese sandwiches.
DSCN2925.jpg

Slow cooked lamb shank in a cabernet jus with giant couscous and seasonal veg.
DSCN2927.jpg

Cream indulgence - mixed berry cheesecake, creme brûlée & chocolate truffle with salted caramel sauce.
DSCN2929.jpg

Yummmmmmm. We waddle up to the monorail and then get the bus back to OKW. Night night one and all!

Mrs TT

Reading live trip reports, watching the tennis and have a glass of wine in hand- what better way to spend a miserable rainy summer Sunday!

Saturday 6th July.

Today's EMH is HS so guess where we're heading? Correct - and not too long to wait for a bus either :flower3:

In common with many others, we make our way to TSMM and pick up a FP (9.45 at 8.10 :scared1:) as the queue is already out of the door and the wait time is showing as 40mins. We ask a cast member about breakfast options and he says either the character one at Hollywood and Vine or Starring Rolls, so we plump for the latter (don't want to use a TS for breakfast again) and have a bagel and cream cheese and coffee. Decide against using a snack credit here (DH thinks it would be better spent on a butterfinger cupcake or some other similar delicacy:rotfl2:). We discover later on we could have had a rather tasty looking bacon and egg breakfast muffin opposite Beauty and the Beast theatre. Noted for next time.

A couple of trips with Star Tours (I was the rebel spy first time ;)) then our FP (poor scores from us both but DH is suffering from tennis elbow of course..........:confused3) and a visit to the Animation Studio where the drawing class attempts Buzz. As usual ours bears no resemblance to the class character but given that the artist's doesn't either we don't feel too bad! While waiting in the queue for the class my rather large, flapping ears pick up on a conversation where a gentleman is recommending Wolfgang Puck Express at DTD for counter service so we decide to take his advice and head there by bus via Pop Century after catching the day's first performance of Beauty and the Beast.

An excellent choice as it turns out: -

Bacon wrapped meatloaf in BBQ sauce with onions and mash (wayneg may be interested.)
DSCN2930.jpg

Frozen yoghurt with chocolate chips and fruit cup.
DSCN2931.jpg

Menu
DSCN2932.jpg

Next stop - Guest Relations where we use our $150 gift card towards upgrading our ultimate tickets to APs. More expensive than I would have liked, however given that we are here for 4 weeks we'll make good use of them.

We catch the ferry back to OKW and relax by the pool then get ready for dinner at Olivia's. DD really enjoyed eating here when she was a CM and we have seen others giving it a 'thumbs up'. Another vote here as well.

Slow cooked prime rib, Olivia's potato cake, green beans and carrots.
DSCN2933.jpg

10oz New York Strip Steak, tomato onion, mushroom ragout, Olivia's potato cake, green beans & carrots.
DSCN2934.jpg

Key Lime Tart with raspberry and mango coulis and Strawberry mascarpone cheesecake.
DSCN2935.jpg

A short stroll back to room 6220 then lights out. :wave2:

Mrs TT

Bacon wrapped meatloaf in BBQ sauce with onions and mash (wayneg may be interested.)

Next stop - Guest Relations where we use our $150 gift card towards upgrading our ultimate tickets to APs. More expensive than I would have liked, however given that we are here for 4 weeks we'll make good use of them.
Certainly looks like I need to try that.:thumbsup2

What was the upgrade price? did you have 14 or 21 day Ultimates?
We now have 10 days booked for Nov and planning 14 or 15 days next Easter so possibly upgrade at the right price.
That food looks immense :p

You have made me so glad we've got WPE as an ADR :thumbsup2

WPE is counter service, no ADR's there. You can now make ADR's at WP cafe for 1 TS credit or WP The Dining Room for 2 TS credits.

WPE is counter service, no ADR's there. You can now make ADR's at WP cafe for 1 TS credit or WP The Dining Room for 2 TS credits.

I'm OOP so I have no credits here! I just know I have an ADR for Wolfgang Puck... now I'm thinking I better check which!

What was the upgrade price? did you have 14 or 21 day Ultimates?
We now have 10 days booked for Nov and planning 14 or 15 days next Easter so possibly upgrade at the right price.

I thought it was expensive but worth it given that we're here until 1st August. We have the 14 day ultimates and I have an AP which expired yesterday. It was $263 to upgrade Tony's and $215 to renew mine. We hadn't used any water park days yet and so this was the price for the standard AP. It will cost $106 (inc tax) to take Water Park APs saving $35 each on the upgrade to Premium APs. We won't visit DisneyQuest. Would love to fit another couple of visits in but more than unlikely (Tony's DD & family just emigrated to Tenerife so visits there now on the cards). :thumbsup2

Mrs TT

I'm OOP so I have no credits here! I just know I have an ADR for Wolfgang Puck... now I'm thinking I better check which!

If you have made an ADR, it is likely to be the Wolfgang Puck Cafe, which is not Wolfgang Puck Express and is not counter service.

It's great to read your trip report - we too love CP for breakfast at MK (but haven't booked for this year :sad: I am glad WPE is still as good as ever. You seem to have got of to a good start and I can't wait to read some more :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter