Tonga Toast???

Graeme

DIS Veteran
Right. I've heard of this stuff, and even been tempted to try it. But it sounds sweet to me, so why is it served with ham or bacon?

It is awesome! DH and I share an order and split the eggs benedict too. I think it is too rich to eat the entire thing by myself.

Tonga Toast is banana stuffed french toast deep fried. If handled properly it is a heavenly thing--last time I ordered it, it had to be fried in oil that was at a too low of a temperature because it was greasy, greasy, greasy!!!:confused3

At any rate, to answer your question, some people like to have a little side item (sausage, bacon, ham) with their french toast or pancakes.:)

I cant get my head round eating bacon with pancakes :scared1:
It just doesnt go together :eek:
Pancakes go with something sweet like strawberries or jam :rotfl2:

Tonga Toast is banana stuffed french toast deep fried. If handled properly it is a heavenly thing--last time I ordered it, it had to be fried in oil that was at a too low of a temperature because it was greasy, greasy, greasy!!!:confused3

At any rate, to answer your question, some people like to have a little side item (sausage, bacon, ham) with their french toast or pancakes.:)

You can order it fried or grilled...next time ask them to grill it...not as greasy

This is DH's favorite breakfast!!! He has to have it every time we visit the World.

Every trip we have breakfast at Kona. An order of Tonga Toast and a pot of 100% Kona coffee. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Ya gotta have something salty/savory (like ham or bacon) to cut the sweetness of the Tonga. It is a heavenly combination. :cloud9:
Tonga! Tonga! Tonga! Tonga! Tonga! Tonga! Tonga! Tonga! Tonga! Tonga! Tonga! Tonga! Tonga! Tonga! Tonga! Tonga! Tonga! Tonga! Tonga!

Must be a southern thing LOL We've always had a full breakfast with sweet/salty/sides offered to us at local restaurants. When we go to Cracker Barrel you always get some sort of sweet (fried apples) with bacon/sausage or ham and eggs...etc. When I make pancakes or french toast at home though, it's a meal in itself and we don't add a side.

We love tonga toast and really must try it grilled next time!

Must be a southern thing LOL We've always had a full breakfast with sweet/salty/sides offered to us at local restaurants. When we go to Cracker Barrel you always get some sort of sweet (fried apples) with bacon/sausage or ham and eggs...etc. When I make pancakes or french toast at home though, it's a meal in itself and we don't add a side.

It's not a southern thing, it's an American thing. Bacon and ham are enjoyed with sweet breakfast foods all over the states without question. I think the posters in question are probably from out of the country and don't understand your average American's appreciation of pancakes (or tonga toast) and bacon/ham dipped in maple syrup. We've had Dutch friends come and visit who are blown away with some of the things that we order for breakfast.

Well, I've met many many northerners that do not understand many of the southern breakfast items that we are so used to. Like cat head biscuits, or sausage gravy....etc hence my saying it must be a southern thing :)

Glad to know that I can come to New York and get a side of bacon with my chocolate chip pancakes LOL

Well, I've met many many northerners that do not understand many of the southern breakfast items that we are so used to. Like cat head biscuits, or sausage gravy....etc hence my saying it must be a southern thing :)

Glad to know that I can come to New York and get a side of bacon with my chocolate chip pancakes LOL

Gotcha...and FYI, if you head just north or south of Manhattan on 1-95, you can even find an honest to goodness Cracker Barrel. The South has risen again!! :teeth:

Oh Cracker Barrel goes even further north..we have them in MA and NH!

I'm dying to try Tonga Toast grilled, although I found it super sweet when we had it at Captain Cook's a few weeks ago...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter