• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tomorrow, my worst day of the year.

chirurgeon

I am a delicate flower and need my sleep.
I am a Rectal Cancer Victor (I like that designation so much better than survivor. In my view, I won my fight.) Any way, because I was diagnosed prior to my 50th birthday, by over 2 1/2 years, I am considered an anomaly so my surgeon wants me to have annual colonoscopies. The colonoscopy is a breeze. The preparation on the other hand. This is my 4th in 2 years. One for diagnosis, one for prep for surgery, one last May as a check up. My doctor refuses to use the pills out there. I must thank him for not using the gallon or 1/2 gallon of the horrible stuff to drink. I have to drink the Fleet Phospho Soda. That is terrible enough. And the running to the bathroom all day. Well, I'm trying to lose weight. This should help for Saturday's Weight Watchers weigh in.

Kim

Good luck with both the colonoscopy and the weigh in. I'm a weight watcher too and some days I seriously THINK about drinking the stuff so that I can loose some more weight! (I've lost 80 lbs and I am within 18 lbs of my goal weight so it is starting to go really slow). Hope everything goes well for you tomorrow! Dream of Disney when you are out!

I am a Rectal Cancer Victor (I like that designation so much better than survivor. In my view, I won my fight.) Any way, because I was diagnosed prior to my 50th birthday, by over 2 1/2 years, I am considered an anomaly so my surgeon wants me to have annual colonoscopies. The colonoscopy is a breeze. The preparation on the other hand. This is my 4th in 2 years. One for diagnosis, one for prep for surgery, one last May as a check up. My doctor refuses to use the pills out there. I must thank him for not using the gallon or 1/2 gallon of the horrible stuff to drink. I have to drink the Fleet Phospho Soda. That is terrible enough. And the running to the bathroom all day. Well, I'm trying to lose weight. This should help for Saturday's Weight Watchers weigh in.

Kim

Congrats on being a Cancer Victor :grouphug: I hope it's all over and done with quickly and you won't have to worry about it for another year!

You need some support and need to re charge! Keep strong even though the colonoscopy sucks... I am in an emotional upheaval not like what you are going through...I am already planning my next trip in my head and trying to focus on living life and not getting overwhelmed by my issues. Keep strong and think about the common thing we share ...our love for Disney!!! You will be ok and maybe I will meet you at Disney someday for a pina colada at the Polynesian bar!!! Good luck and be well ..most of al Head Up!!!! after all you are a 'dis" er:cheer2:

Good luck and congrats on being a Victor!! :thumbsup2

You are right - the prep is the worst part. My doctor won't use the pill prep either. The Fleet Phospho Soda is actually the easiest for me to choke down. I have to have yearly colonoscopies and my doctor is going to let me try the Miralax prep for my June scope. :woohoo: (Nothing like getting excited about your next colonoscopy prep!! Since I am 40, I get to look forward to about 40 more colonoscopies. ) :cool1:

But don't you just love the feeling after the prep is done and you weigh yourself and you've lost like 10 pounds. It is such a nice little surprise - albeit short lived until you eat and drink again. Still it is nice and a little light at the end of the prep tunnel.

Good luck tomorrow!!!!!

Tonya, what is the Miralax prep? I might bring that up to my dr.

One dr. story. When I first went to my surgeon for the first consultation after my diagnosis my mom and I were waiting outside his office, we had gotten there a little before their lunch hour was over. Anyway, as we were standing there, the door to the office waiting room opens and out comes this super cute dr. I saw his id badge and he is MY new dr. I said to my mom "That's him, that's Dr. X." She said "No, that's not him. He's too young." Dr X is in his early 40s. I told her that is him, I saw his badge. Every cloud has a silver lining. Even better, he is so nice. All of my drs through this entire thing have been so wonderful. And my oncologist's wife is also a Disney enthusiast. We always talk about Disney when I see him. OK that's 2 dr. stories.

Kim

Tonya, what is the Miralax prep? I might bring that up to my dr.

One dr. story. When I first went to my surgeon for the first consultation after my diagnosis my mom and I were waiting outside his office, we had gotten there a little before their lunch hour was over. Anyway, as we were standing there, the door to the office waiting room opens and out comes this super cute dr. I saw his id badge and he is MY new dr. I said to my mom "That's him, that's Dr. X." She said "No, that's not him. He's too young." Dr X is in his early 40s. I told her that is him, I saw his badge. Every cloud has a silver lining. Even better, he is so nice. All of my drs through this entire thing have been so wonderful. And my oncologist's wife is also a Disney enthusiast. We always talk about Disney when I see him. OK that's 2 dr. stories.

Kim

From what the Nurse Practitioner told me, you mix Miralax with Gatorade. She said it wasn't that bad. I asked about the Fleet Phoso prep but they won't use that one anymore and I have refused to do the Golytely prep - in fact I told the doctor I would rather not eat for 10 days than do the Golytely prep again. So we settled on the Miralax prep, although the Nurse said most doctors don't like it. I go to the Mayo Clinic which uses a central scheduling system and the Nurse had to override the scheduling system so I would get my doctor for the colonoscopy since the other doctors in the GI dept. won't allow the Miralax prep (something about leaving residue and making the colonoscopy harder to perform).

Good news about the cute doctor though. Although, I generally like my male doctors to be someone I wouldn't want to date - just something about a man I think is cute seeing my bare butt when I am passed out from Versed without having bought me dinner first. :confused3 :rotfl: :confused3

:grouphug: My MIL had one done last month. All is well thank god, but boy did she put it off, not wanting to go to that appointment. She is also at WW's and down 60 lbs in a year :cool1:

She said it wasn't too bad, but glad it is over with.

Sorry you days stunk (opps LOL just typed that, no pun intended LOL)

It should be over soon and lets pray for another clean bill of health! :thumbsup2

Kim

Congrats on being a Victor! I love how you put that.

Just wanted to say, good luck! I know it is a "yucky" day. I had to have a colonoscopy a few years ago for diagnostic purposes. My dr. did give me the pills and I'm not sure that it would be any better than the Fleet Phospho Soda. They are HUGE pills and you have to take them every so many minutes and drink ginger ale when you are taking them. It made me so sick...:sick: I still can't look at ginger ale without wanting to run to the bathroom:crazy2: I will say it is better than the Go-lytly though.

Versed is an amazing drug, huh? I asked for a "6-pack" to go and heard them laughing as I drifted off...

Well, wanted to wish you Luck and pixiedust: !

I wanted to tip my hat to you too for being a cancer victor. Congratulations! We're so glad you're here. Good luck with everything today. Hang in there, and keep up the positive attitude.

:hug: I hope that the procedure goes well and you're given a clean bill of health.

As far as the prep...........:scared1:

Just reading this is making me clench (and I'm not talking teeth here!) :teeth: Fingers crossed for a clean bill of health and another notch on the cancer survivor headboard. :thumbsup2

Congratulations Cancer Victor!!!:cheer2:
Good luck today pixiedust: pixiedust:

Kimba

Congrats on beating it!!!! that is huge! Good luck with your prep they suck.:scared:

Whenever I go for the check-ups and have to drink the syrup or get pricked or poked, I always think of those who have it far worse. Keep up the positive attitude and remember "Life IS good!". I don't believe in wishing luck because I know it will all be good!

Ahhh....hugs I will be thinking of you tomorrow.

I had to do the prep once it was not fun!

Keep up that great positive thinking - it was kept DH going (he is a hodgkins "victor")! Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter