tomato harvest - best way to use them?

MazdaUK

<font color=green>Curse this time difference!<br><
My three tomato plants this year have yielded a great harvest:goodvibes I must have 2lb or more in the fridge and waiting to ripen on the side, plus plenty more still on the plant. What are your favourite ways to use and/or preserve tomatoes?

I don't want to give them away (I've sweated blood on these babies!) but the boys only really like pasta sauces/pizza (and won't even eat "raw" - i.e. sliced - tomatoes on pizza:headache:). They're not as flavoursome as I'd hoped - its not a heritage variety, more your "bulk" basic round type.

Maybe next year I'll go back to seeds......

TIA

First let me say - I must be out of touch - I had no idea DIS had a cooking board! Awesome......

I also have lots of tomatoes from our garden but ours are a variety, some cherry, some yellow/orange tomatoes, roma, and reg ole beefsteak tomatoes.

I sliced up various tomatoes and made a cucumber/tomato salad with italian dressing - very tasty.

I also made angel hair pasta - with a clove garlic, fresh basil and oregano, and sliced cherry tomatoes topping and served with some grated parmesan.

So far that is all I have come up with - I have been avoiding making a pasta sauce- I enjoy the "fresh" tomatoes so much - we also pack them in lunches to just eat like grapes....wash, bag but that would be a little less practical with regular big tomatoes.

Looking forward to other people's ideas..

I make a fresh pasta dish with green beans, Brie (cut into chinks and melting with the heat) and lemon but the kids won't eat it. None of us are big on "raw" tomato so i need to do something with them before they go off!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter