Tom Sawyer's Island

marydmjj

DIS Veteran
I'm not sure if this has been posted yet but I heard on our local business news today that Disney is considering changing Tom Sawyer's Island to a Pirate's Getaway in time for the release of POC 3. The broadcaster said that Disney feels Tom Sawyer's Island doesn't connect with kids and families today and they want to change it to something that will.

We all still enjoy TS Island, but a new Pirates Getaway Island would be great too. Our GS would certainly enjoy that. And, I have to admitt, the island could probably use a little refreshing. pirate:

LUVMICKEY said:
We all still enjoy TS Island, but a new Pirates Getaway Island would be great too. Our GS would certainly enjoy that. And, I have to admitt, the island could probably use a little refreshing. pirate:

Hmm....wow Im surprised to find Im a little torn about this news. Last year ...Tom sawyers island was a pleasant reprieve from the park...we walked around, etc., BUT that said...it was just a little BLAH...and its a HUGE section of the park, they could definitely spice it up...not sure how pirates would fit in...but I love POC...it will be interesting to see how it all pans out. pirate: pirate:

Are you sure at Disney World? I heard about this at Disneyland from another message board which is usually as reliable as this. However, several didn't know if Walt Disney World would take the same approach to this.

It really doesn't matter to me because I never made the trip to Tom Sawyer's Island. I always felt it was a waste of time and maybe I am wrong in my belief - but that is how I felt. Is there any reason for me to go and see it on my next trip just in case it really closes? Is there anything there for a 21 year old taking his two 40 - something parents along? :confused3 My dad has always said he wanted to go - maybe I will take him there and leave him on that island why DM and I go ride Splash and Big Thunder!

It's in the wrong land for a Pirate themed attraction.

mattsdragon said:
It's in the wrong land for a Pirate themed attraction.

True, but still I would like to see it closes and they add something else there instead. :rolleyes1

I heard this on the radio this morning as well. Said they are getting rid of Tom Sawyer Island and turning it into a new POC attraction, in Disney World and Disney Land.

They could split the Island in Half and Keep one side TSI and the other side POTC. But TSI needs updating with something.

That makes me kinda sad! My DD's loved the island last year. It was, as somone else said, a nice break from the rest of the park. Nearly empty, shady, and the kids spent an hour just using their imaginations and playing. They needed that break and it was an hour well spent. I hope they dont' change it. :sad2:

This would make me a little sad as well. I guess I am from another generation who loved reading Tom Sawyer and can imagination the story there on the island. I also have great memories of playing there when I was a kid and getting a peanut butter and jelly sandwich at Aunt Polly's.

I also have wonderful memories of my kids running around the fort, shooting the air guns at the Riverboat as it went by, and playing checkers with my son. They were so excited when they "discovered" the escape tunnel.

There is not a lot of places left in WDW where you can use your imagination vs having the latest movie pounded into you.

DD6 was incredibly bored by everything on Tom Sawyer's Island, except the paintbrush she found, which got us a fastpass that we were able to use three times.

She did like the Swiss Family Robinson treehouse, though.

The LA Times had an article on this yesterday. It said Disneyland, but I would think that they would rehab both locations.

Maybe they'll do this so they can find a suitable place to try to sell their pirates souveniers? I sure had a hard time finding that stuff last week :rolleyes:

I did like the rumor on here a bit ago about turning the old discovery island into a pirate island complete with a themed dinner.

Very interesting! Any idea how soon this would happen?

In both of my previous trips to WDW, we missed the island. The first time, we caught the raft and had just gotten on the island when they decided they needed to get everyone off because a thunderstorm was coming through the area. Last year, when hubby and I were had time to head over, the raft had just left and we just never made it back.

Very interesting. It seems a change to something else would be in order, whether or not a pirate theme works for the area is another question though. Tom Sawyer doesn't seem to ever appear on television anymore and I doubt too many kids would have interest in reading the book. I just don't think coonskin caps (thinking of the old canoe rides) and that picture of the frontier resonate with today's kids. Just seems like something the Brady Bunch would have visited, not today's kids. Maybe that's just because my kids have no interest in that sort of thing though.

OT, but I'd love to see something related to National Treasure introduced. Not on the island, probably a better fit in the Studios or around the American Adventure. That movie is a huge hit with my kids, as is the first POC movie.

I hate this idea. I dont want every ride at Disney to turn into a Pirate ride because of some stupid movie. Im already never going back on POTC ride because of how stupid it is now and if they change Tom Sawyers Island to a pirate themed Island Ill never go to that. The only thing the island needs is some cleaning up and it will be fine.

Jalva22 said:
OT, but I'd love to see something related to National Treasure introduced. Not on the island, probably a better fit in the Studios or around the American Adventure. That movie is a huge hit with my kids, as is the first POC movie.

That's a great idea! I'd love to see a National Treasure attraction of some sort at Disney Studios.

I have mixed feelings about Tom Sawyer's Island. It's the classic I remember from my childhood, and my kids loved the forts in '05. It's a good place to go to get away from the crowds at the MK.

But, I can see how a pirate themed island would be appealing and that most kids would relate to pirates better than they would to Tom Sawyer. I wonder if a pirate themed island would turn TSI into a headliner attraction instead of the sleeper attraction it usually is?

I think the charm of TSI is that it's a chance for kids to PLAY in an unstructured way. The equipment requires them to use their imagininations. To me, cool caves and forts work, whether themed as TSI or POC. Forts and caves are piratey too. As long as they keep the place a PLAYground, I'll be happy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter