Tom Sawyer's Island, Disneyland - soon no more?

Todd&Copper

<font color=darkorchid>Sweet Chicken, that is one
I just read this on TMZ, and am seriously doubt it will happen, but since this is the place to post rumors, here goes:

So Long, Tom Sawyer. Hellooo, Keira Knightley

Posted Oct 3rd 2006 5:20PM by TMZ Staff

Is Disneyland slowly but surely morphing into ... Pirateland? Disneyland's Tom Sawyer Island, one of the attractions personally designed and guided by Walt Disney himself 50 years ago in Anaheim, Calif., might be destined for the wrecking ball in favor of a "Pirates of the Caribbean"-themed area -- replete with an animatronic Keira Knightley and Orlando Bloom replacing Becky Thatcher and Huck Finn. According to a report by Disney theme park-watchdog-site MiceAge, the Tom Sawyer Island attraction, full of treehouses, caves, and trails that refer to scenes in Mark Twain's beloved adventures, will be given a $28 million-plus makeover into a full pirate paradise. The original "Pirates" ride, by which the films were "inspired," have been tweaked to reflect Johnny Depp's portrayal of Captain Jack Sparrow.

The opening of the new "Pirates" attraction will be timed, says MiceAge, to coincide with the release of the third "Pirates of the Caribbean" film next summer. A source with knowledge of the park's finances and operations tells TMZ that from a financial standpoint, the move is a no-brainer: "That's very valuable real estate [in the theme park], and if you ask a hundred kids who Jack Sparrow and Tom Sawyer are, what do you think they're going to say?" The two "Pirates" films have grossed more than $1.6 billion worldwide.

A Disneyland rep tells TMZ that this was "the first" he had heard of the change, and said that there were no plans to change any of the Tom Sawyer Islands, whether in Anaheim, Calif., Orlando, Fla., or Tokyo.

Moron TMZ writer can't even get it right. They aren't added Keira and Orlando to Tom Sawyer Island. Their adding them to POTC.

I say let's do it. TSI is just not relevent anymore. It's not interesting, and under utilized. Let's put something on there that will be fun for all ages.

<rant>
Because as well all know, no child likes to run around, climb rocks, crawl through caves or play on pontoon bridges.

Excitement in life only comes through brand-building experiences with proper product placement. Why bother letting your child have imagination when their lives can all be bundled up into a neat little happy meal format?

Plus you'll spare them the trauma of being exposed to something from a literature! I can see where all parents want to avoid those deeply embarrassing questions like “who was Tom Sawyer” and “can you read me a Mark Twain story”! What would the other parents say at soccer practice!?!?

Now plop you addled child in front of the DVD player while you rush off to buy!

Consume people! Consume!

<end rant>

If Disneyland and Walt Disney World are going to continue to grow and survive, they need to be something more than commericals for other Disney products. No one is going to spend five thousand dollars on a vacation to watch commericals.

Imagine if Disney Studios only made movies that "starred" Mickey Mouse. They wouldn't be around long no matter how many plush they sold.

all we are talking about is re-themeing the caves and forts to pirates. Which are more popular than Tom Sawyer. So what? I like the idea. 50 years from now, something else will be more popular. And they'll re-theme the caves and forts again.

My ds 12 going on 13 loves TSI. Given the choice between our ONLY chance to see the new pirate show or going to TMI for the 110th time he choose TMI.

Why? One because he has been raised to run around and use his imagination like I believe kids should (JMHO). Two, because he read the book when he was 10 and was completely enthralled by the world and words of Mr. Twain our greatest American writer (what you thought it was that whiner who wrote Catcher in the Rye? :rolleyes: ).

Yes, I admit it. I gave him that totally unhip book Tom Sawyer, I gave him Huck Finn too. Call the HRS somebody, not only am I taking an intrest in my own childs education, I'm giving him materials that incourage free thinking, independance, and a love of America. Someone stop me before I let it slip that it was the REPUBLICANS that freed the slaves!

I loved the pirate movies. I actually took ds out of school to go to the first showings (shocking, how dare I go against the school systems rules for my own child, more of that evil Twain influence I guess).

BUT the pirates movies are just fluff, entertaining fluff yes, but still fluff.
You CAN'T be a pirate and be a good man. OK? Huckleberry Finn and to a lesser degree Tom Sawyer will still be read and relevant long after the pirates franchise has been swept into the waste bin of history.

To replace something of substance (Twain) with something that is just feel good action and pretty people is truely sad. And for those who say it won't happen, look what they did to the Swiss Family Robinson tree house at DL.:sad2: :sad2: :sad2: :sad2: :sad2: :sad2: :sad2: I MISS WALT!!!!!!!!!:sad:

PS to those who think TSI should be updated with a new theme, have you READ Tom Sawyer or Huck Finn? Please take the chance to lose yourself in some of the greatest adventure lit. ever written.

I don't have children and I am not a teacher. Maybe those who are parents can let me know whether TOm Sawyer, Huck Finn, and other Twain books are assigned in school. Aren't they still read by America's youth?

Larry

In the schools where they aren't banned because some extreme parent is trying to "forget" history (Song of the South, anyone?) they are still assigned and read. When will they put Davy Jones in the Haunted Mansion as #1000? Why not just redo the whole freakin' Square to be themed to one franchise? Christ. When Pirates isn't hip to people anymore or when Depp gets caught in some pedophile/drug/murder/etc. scandal, the Disney execs are going to be scrambling... Bad idea, folks. Bad idea.

The Huck Finn and Tom Sawyer books are generally read by older high school students who have limited interested in a fort playground. But little ones, like my 4 yr old, would be very excited to visit Jack Sparrow's Island.

But little ones, like my 4 yr old, would be very excited to visit Jack Sparrow's Island.
So the basic idea is to dumb down everything to the level of a four year old.

Funny, I thought the basic concept of Disneyland was to spark and encourage the imagination - not reduce it.

Another Voice said:
So the basic idea is to dumb down everything to the level of a four year old.

Of course not. But Tom Sawyer's Island was built for the younger set. As far I can tell, the island is currently "dumbed down". How changing it to a pirate theme makes it less imaginative escapes me.

I may be in the minority, but I am not a big fan of all this pirate makeover stuff. Yeah the movies are good and the update of the ride is fine, but changing TSI is a bad idea. Plus I like TSI the way it is. :)

randytenn said:
Moron TMZ writer can't even get it right. They aren't added Keira and Orlando to Tom Sawyer Island. Their adding them to POTC.

I say let's do it. TSI is just not relevent anymore. It's not interesting, and under utilized. Let's put something on there that will be fun for all ages.

Be careful how you rant about this TMZ writer being a moron.... Miceage.com reported this yesterday.... With an AA of Keira Knightly and one of Orlando Bloom... So, it isn't just a MORON TMZ writer... there is some substance to this...

Tink's Tormentor said:
Be careful how you rant about this TMZ writer being a moron.... Miceage.com reported this yesterday.... With an AA of Keira Knightly and one of Orlando Bloom... So, it isn't just a MORON TMZ writer... there is some substance to this...

Actually, he didn't. He said:

...Add to all that the inclusion of Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightly animatronics to Pirates itself, ...

No where did he mention adding animontronics to the island, only to POTC.

MJMcBride said:
Why is that?

The entire theme works...Rivers of American...TSI...Frontierland...the area is a western theme, not a pirates theme. Making TSI Pirate Island would just affect the theme of the area, plus kill a bit of classic Disney. Just my thoughts.

Smooshdog said:
The entire theme works...Rivers of American...TSI...Frontierland...the area is a western theme, not a pirates theme. Making TSI Pirate Island would just affect the theme of the area, plus kill a bit of classic Disney. Just my thoughts.

but do you spend time on TSI or is it just the theme of the area, enjoying it from afar?

Smooshdog said:
The entire theme works...Rivers of American...TSI...Frontierland...the area is a western theme, not a pirates theme....
Sounds like you're talking about WDW, not DL. In DL, they have at least the tangential connection of New Orleans Square (and a seagoing sailing ship).

I'm not absolutely opposed to an introduction of the Pirates theme to the Island at DL, if it were done well. Perhaps the part of the island closest to NO Square as Pirates, morphing to TSI or other theme in the other parts of the island. More concerning to me, actually, were the hints that electronic attractions would be added on the island--I'd really like it to keep that stuff off of the island.

1) I can see this happening.
2) More revenue
. . . Pirates Island Play Area
. . . Pirates Island Davy Jones' Souvenir Shoppe
. . . Pirates Island Landlubber's Cove Souvenir Shoppe
. . . Pirates Island Landlubber's Submarine Sandwich Shoppe
. . . Pirates Island Treasure Hurt Play Area
. . . Pirates Island Treasure Hunt Souvenir Shoppe
. . . Pirates Island Pieces and Bites of Eight Sandwich Shoppe

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter