Tom Sawyers island change??

benjaminguy

Earning My Ears
I heard that they were planning on changing Tom Sawyers island into Jake and the Neverland pirates island. Seems to be a good idea. Anybody else heard this?

First I've heard of that rumor. Not really caring for it - lets hope it was from a bus driver.

I had heard that there weren't any plans for Tom Sawyer Island due to it being the very last expansion pad for the Magic Kingdom.

There is room across the Rivers of America, north of Big Thunder Mountain. That area is big enough to fit another FrontierLand or AdventureLand on it. Slightly smaller than the area used for New FantasyLand.

Could be accessed with a Train Stop, a Boat Dock, or building a walkway from where Woody/Jesse meet behind the FrontierLand Station. Also could landscape a walkway from Haunted Mansion over that way.

I had heard that there weren't any plans for Tom Sawyer Island due to it being the very last expansion pad for the Magic Kingdom.

There is room across the Rivers of America, north of Big Thunder Mountain. That area is big enough to fit another FrontierLand or AdventureLand on it. Slightly smaller than the area used for New FantasyLand.

Could be accessed with a Train Stop, a Boat Dock, or building a walkway from where Woody/Jesse meet behind the FrontierLand Station. Also could landscape a walkway from Haunted Mansion over that way.

Agree that there is lots of room around the MK to expand it if Disney wanted to. They might have to re-route a road or build a bridge to do it, but nothing too difficult. Take a look at Google Maps for Walt Disney World and zoom in on the MK.

I would hate to see such a re-theming. I really like the old-fashioned nature of Tom Sawyer Island just the way it is, without any incursions of modern-day media. And my two boys, 6 and 8, LOVE it, despite having no idea who Tom Sawyer is. They insist on visiting Tom Sawyer Island on every trip.

There being land that is easily accessible and could be integrated into the park is one thing. That land actually being suitable for building is another.

Isn't this thread kinda moot?

No major additions/renovations to MK are anywhere close now...
20 years, kids...if we're lucky

The pirate overlay would be an odd play in wdw...unless they are expecting throngs of new people...which isn't reasonable at all on any level.

I think MK will stay put for a few years. DHS and AK is where the next upgrades will happen. I would even say behind scenes it would not surprise me if the execs wish they would have upgraded DHS or AK before the new Fantasyland.

Tom Sawyer's Island at Disneyland has been changed to "Pirates's Lair on Tom Sawyers Island" and has a great pirate theme.

Yes it has, but its more of a Pirates of the Caribbean theme, not Jake and Neverland Pirates.

I was honestly a bit skeptical about the change, but spent an hour exploring the rethemed and refurbished island, and found it to be awesome! At first I was a bit disappointed to hear that Tom Sawyer's island had been rethemed...but the retheming was so good that I was happy to let go of my disappointment.

Yes it has, but its more of a Pirates of the Caribbean theme, not Jake and Neverland Pirates.

I was honestly a bit skeptical about the change, but spent an hour exploring the rethemed and refurbished island, and found it to be awesome! At first I was a bit disappointed to hear that Tom Sawyer's island had been rethemed...but the retheming was so good that I was happy to let go of my disappointment.

Got to agree with this. I was amazed at how much more DL makes of Tom Sawyer's Island as compared to WDW's version.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter