• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tom Sawyer Island on a busy day?

MelissaMakesCakes

Earning My Ears
So I have never spent any time on Tom Sawyer Island. We will be in MK in 11 days and I know it will be busy. I was thinking a late afternoon activity would be to spend some time exploring this part of MK we have never been to before. Is this enjoyable when the park is busy or is it not fun when crowded?

Also, it looks like you take the Liberty boat to get there? Is that true and is that the only way onto Tom Sawyer Island?

TIA. This board is always so helpful.

So I have never spent any time on Tom Sawyer Island. We will be in MK in 11 days and I know it will be busy. I was thinking a late afternoon activity would be to spend some time exploring this part of MK we have never been to before. Is this enjoyable when the park is busy or is it not fun when crowded?

Also, it looks like you take the Liberty boat to get there? Is that true and is that the only way onto Tom Sawyer Island?

TIA. This board is always so helpful.

I've never seen TSI very busy even on the most crowded of days. I think it is a great idea to escape most of the masses. The Liberty Belle does not take you there, but only goes around it. There are raft launches near Big Thunder Mountain to get you there.

My DS9 loves Tom Sawyer island!

A few things to do on the island besides seeing the Fort and exploring the caves: play checkers, relax in a rocking chair, let the kids play on the small play area, have a picnic lunch (picnic table, benches or the rocking chairs to sit on.) Some people like to sit and read a book on the rocking chairs too -- it's nice and shady.

Don't go over to the island too late in the day as it closes at dusk (not really sure of the closing time on the day that you're visiting but on March 27, the calendar says it closes at 7:00 p.m.)

Here are a couple of pictures and some more information:
http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/guides/magickingdom/fro-sawyer.htm

We went for our last trip during Spring Break and found TSI to be a wonderful refuge. The LibertyBelle goes around the island but does not dock. There are two piers that have "rafts" that go back and forth. There is a ton of shade, places to explore and since it is self contained, you can't really lose the kids. DD loved it and after exploring for a while, DH and I snagged two rocking chairs and let her go run through the caves to her heart's content.

We love TSI!! Our boys love to run and explore while we camp out in the rocking chairs. We have timed it so we can watch the parade go by with a relaxing view from the chairs!

We really enjoyed it. There was something very cool and relaxing about being AWAY from the crowds and just exploring the bridges, caves and stuff. It was also really cool to see Big Thunder Mountain from across the water too. Made it feel like you had this secret section of the park to yourself. I'd do it!

Isn't there kind of a built in crowd control on the island too since they only let so many people on each trip as people leave??

Isn't there kind of a built in crowd control on the island too since they only let so many people on each trip as people leave??

I am sure that there is some maximum capacity of the island that they have to enforce for safety reasons. In theory, if the island is full, they won't let more people on. Not sure if this ever happens in practice, though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter