Tom Sawyer Island manual w/c accessible?

roadtripper

DIS Veteran
We have never taken the raft over, assuming that we wouldn't be able to explore with DS' wheelchair. We don't need to do everything there, but can we just get onto the island and walk around with him, or is it completely inaccessible? DS likes a break from the crowds and we are there Pres Week, so I wondered if that might be a possibility.

We have been to the Pirates Lair (former Tom Sawyer's Island) at DL with my DS in wheelchair. It was mostly wc accessible. We could even go across the rope bridge with not too much trouble and go through the caves and tunnels. This is a small, manual wheelchair, not power chair. If that helps at all?

I was just asking a grandnephew of mine who works (and is qualified on all attractions) in Frontierland about TSI. He says they will allow personal wheelchairs on the boats. Also, TSI pathways have not been updated since it opened in 1973. There are stairs and very steep inclines, as well as "shaky" bridges with wooden slats. He told me that most people who come over with wheelchairs almost immediately turn around and go back.

They will not allow any ECV on the rafts for safety reasons.

Thanks for the info, Cheshire Figment. Maybe they will just let us a do a round trip on the raft--he might like that too.

At WDW you can ride the raft but you are pretty well locked out. I tried to go through the cave area with my sister and it was really hard. You can't even get to aunt poly's snack place or the rocking chairs near the water on the left. If you want to experience the ride over its ok but exploring the island is a no go.

Dan-tot

We have been to the Pirates Lair (former Tom Sawyer's Island) at DL with my DS in wheelchair. It was mostly wc accessible. We could even go across the rope bridge with not too much trouble and go through the caves and tunnels. This is a small, manual wheelchair, not power chair. If that helps at all?

How do you get to the rope bridges?? I can only figure out how to get to the Fort area (lift for accessilble restrooms) and the lower areas (lower pirate area, the show area for Fantasmic). Is there some way to get to the upper areas?

They will not allow any ECV on the rafts for safety reasons.

I don't know if DL has changed the rules since the last time I was at DL (Jan 2008 I think), but I had an ECV (off-site rental from Alan's) and I was allowed on the raft with my ECV and I rode it around Pirate's Liar, parking it out of the way for places it wouldn't fit and walk thru the tight places (I can walk around, but not long distances or for extended periods of time).

OP- Also, when you get to the island, there is an elevator/lift that will bring you up to the upper part of the island... not sure if a parent can ride in the elevator/lift with a child or not but it is w/c accessible, and unless they've changed their rules, it is also ECV accessible, based on my experience.

Went to TSI with DS (17 at the time) and small manual wc, we couldn't really go anywhere, It was a nice cool place to pause for a few moments, but not worth the ride over.

I don't know if DL has changed the rules since the last time I was at DL (Jan 2008 I think), but I had an ECV (off-site rental from Alan's) and I was allowed on the raft with my ECV and I rode it around Pirate's Liar, parking it out of the way for places it wouldn't fit and walk thru the tight places (I can walk around, but not long distances or for extended periods of time).

OP- Also, when you get to the island, there is an elevator/lift that will bring you up to the upper part of the island... not sure if a parent can ride in the elevator/lift with a child or not but it is w/c accessible, and unless they've changed their rules, it is also ECV accessible, based on my experience.
This thread has been discussing TSI and WDW, not DL. The islands are different and the transportation rules are different.

As I mentioned earlier, my Grandnephew currently works at MK and one of his regular assignments is TSI.

This thread has been discussing TSI and WDW, not DL. The islands are different and the transportation rules are different.

As I mentioned earlier, my Grandnephew currently works at MK and one of his regular assignments is TSI.

Oh.... has it? That's what I get for trying to post after staying up all night :rotfl: The OP hadn't mentioned which park (DL or WDW) she was going to and Welivefordisney mentioned DL in her post.... and in your post where you mentioned your grandnephew, I don't think you mentioned MK... you just said that he worked in Frontierland but didn't reference DL or WDW.... But like I said... that's what I get for staying up late and trying to post! :rotfl:

Since the majority of questions and posts here are about WDW, there is an assumption that most questions are about WDW. The majority of posters who are asking about DisneyLAND realize that and do mention it in their question.
That is very helpful since, as as pointed out, it will change the answer for some attractions.

If the poster doesn't specify, sometimes it's possible to tell from their ticker or signature. Sometimes not.

So, please posters, try to post which park you are asking about in your initiAl questions and please, people answering, indicate which park you are describing if you are not sure which the question is about.

Thank you

Thanks for that bit of info Sue... I'm sort of new to the boards (mostly a lurker). My mom is more active on here than I am.

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest