Tom Sawyer island...how much time?

elg_s

Mouseketeer
Despite numerous trips in the past 5 hrs, I have yet to set foot on Tom Sawyer island. We are going again at the end of October for 1 week (and MNSSHP on 11/1 :cool1:). My 8 yr old DS has informed me that TSI is a "must do" this trip. How much time should I plan on spending? I know it will depend on how long the kids (5 yr old DD too) want to run around and explore, but I have no idea how long the raft takes. Also, what's the best time to go?

TIA

My kids LOVE Tom Sawyer's Island and would stay there for hours if we let them. We schedule about 45 minutes total for the raft trip there and back and for exploring. The raft only takes a few minutes, as long as you're not having to wait. We usually go mid-morning -- about 10:30 or so. We are generally there in early October, and I've not seen it especially crowded.

The raft will take you a short distance across the river to the island, and it takes longer to dock than to get there. They also run pretty much continuously.
My DS's 10 & 8 spend about 1-2 hours there every time we go. The caves are fun, but their favorite is the huge fort, where they can pretend they're soldiers defending their territory from the enemy, and other boy stuff. There are bathrooms there, and a secret tunnel that goes down stairs underground and leads out on the other side.
Despite all the trees, I always seem to feel hotter there than on the 'mainland'. Maybe it's in my head:)

Despite all the trees, I always seem to feel hotter there than on the 'mainland'. Maybe it's in my head:)

My head too.

If we are going to go, we try in the AM or late in the day, the heat of the day sucks the fun out for me.

We say meet beck here (raft) in 1/2 an hour, and go looking or send the first "get back here" text about 45 mins after arrival. So an hour is about right.

For my DS8, TSI is a must-do. We usually spend about an hour on the island. We cover it all. Granted, we usually spend 2-3 days in MK so we are in no hurry.

If you are the first raft over to the island when it opens in the morning, you can search and find one of 5 paintbrushes that are 'hidden' (loose term there, most are in pretty plain sight)...return a paintbrush to the CM working the raft and you'll get a special prize (was a Front of the line pass for any attraction in MK when we did it a couple years ago).

We regularly kill a solid hour here. The kids love to explore the caves, the playground, the trails... and by all means, do NOT neglect to do the fort!

It's a wonderful "recharge" for little ones.

we are taking or DS6 for his first trip to WDW in October - cannot wait - he will be especially excited about TSI which I am sure he will love exploring - thanks for the tip about getting the first boat across and trying to find the paintbrushes - I had read about this a while back but had completely forgotten all about it. Sure we will spend a few hours on the island

thats the same thing my kids told me....they want to go there (we have yet to do it 2) so looks like I will be figuring in 1hr or so...sounds good!

Skipped this the first 2 trips and did it last year with DD5. She LOVED it and still talks about it. What I loved was that it wasn't crowded and she could run here. She loved exploring the caves!

We spent about 45 minutes two different times but I had to make her leave both times! Didn't know about the paintbrushes so we'll be on the lookout this trip!

TSI was a blast when I was a little kid. It can't be missed if you got a young kid that would love to explore the caves.

DS7 and I usually play in the caves and fort for a couple of hours while DW shops or just relaxes (she gets in on some of the fun, but after so many trips through ol scratch's cave, she starts looking to exercise that demon).

That's so disappointing! I was a really cute little place to have a light snack.

I agree! Even if you didn't want an ice cream it was nice to sit back with a drink and relax. I really think they should reopen it if nothing else a small craft station for kids or something. It makes the Island feel rundown/abandoned with it being closed.

We do not always get over there either. I have never timed it, but I would guess it takes a little over an hour to really explore it. Our DS was 3 on our last trip. He set the pace. A 5 year old might move a little faster.

Thanks for the info. The kids are super excited! I was planning on about an hour...I'm sure this will be a must do on repeat trips! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter