Tokyo Disneyland & DisneySea

We're thinking about going in a couple of years. We're planning on going to Japan anyway, so we're going to stop by while we're there. Any tips would be fantastic! I've been looking online, and there's just not a whole lot of info... that I can read. HAHA :rotfl:

We're thinking about going in a couple of years. We're planning on going to Japan anyway, so we're going to stop by while we're there. Any tips would be fantastic! I've been looking online, and there's just not a whole lot of info... that I can read. HAHA :rotfl:

Do you have any specific questions? I'd be happy to help. I also have Kevin Yee's travel book Tokyo Disney Made Easy that I'd be happy to send you. I have it somewhere in the house. It's a bit dry but it does have plenty of info. Again, PM me or post questions and I'll help as much as I can or direct you to places where you can get your questions answered.:thumbsup2

We went to Tokoyo in 94 and the park was THE most crowded place I've ever been in my life. On the rare occasion that you hear some english spoken, your ears pick up to see who you can talk to. :rotfl:

Tokyo, if you haven't been is CRAZY expensive, but with all that being said I'm glad that we went.

For the attractions that speak, you sit in the last row and can listen to a translation into english.

I'd also be happy to try to help with specific questions. I guess one tip would be that they have English language maps/ time schedules at guest services, if not at the park entrance. Some rides have headsets for English language narration, while others did not. CM's really try to go out of their way to be helpful, and Japan in general is way more courteous to foreigners than the US is.

And be sure not to skip the Pooh ride there because it rocks, and is nothing like the MK version. :tigger:

I went several times when we lived there. I had a discount card and could get in for 5100 yen. I think normal price was around 5800 yen.
Pooh is very different and very cool but very crowded (IMO worse than DL in CA and WDW when we went in 2000). Get the fastpass. Pooh is VERY popular in Japan.
Oh, and you HAVE to get a bucket of honey popcorn across from pooh or on the other side of fantasy land near Peter pan (I THINK). That popcorn ROCKS! We'd keep refilling our bucket all day long. I think the popcorn was about 450 yen. The bucket was abounr 1100 yen and the strap to carry the popcorn was another 100 or 200 yen.
I talked to a CM who gave us a private tour in CA DL and he said they tried the honey popcorn there but the bees made them shut it down. (BTW, the tour wasn't supposed to be private but our family was the only ones on the tour!)
If you are dying for American, there is a restaurant in Tomorrowland. Can't remember the name, but it's very large and they have hamburgers that are mickey shaped.
Understand pizza is not like what we have in the US, you will find chunks of potato, squid, etc on top.
I also liked the restaurant in Adventureland that overlooked the pirates of the carribean ride, but it was very pricey.
This goes for all of Japan but if you stand somewhere long enough looking confused, someone who speaks English will approach you to help. :) What a PP said about trains and English is true for major trains and mostly in Tokyo but if you get to smaller stations, etc you won't always get it in English. Learn to say your stop and if you aren't sure at a stop, point to the stop and say the name of your stop as a question (ie. "Machida?") and they'll shake their head yes or no. Also, not all ticket machines have English. I was at Shinjuku (Largest station in Japan) waited in a long line, got there and it was ALL in Japanese! I stood there for a second and the businessman behind me spoke enough English and I spoke enough Japanese to get my ticket. :)
One little thing I liked about TDL was the songs. They are mostly in Japanese but usually the chorus is in English. At the Mickey Mouse Revue, they were singing the Mickey Mouse clubhouse song and it's supposed to go "M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E!" Well, spelling words in a language other than your own is hard! So instead it goes "Mickey Mouse, Mickey Mouse, Mickey mickey Mouse!"
Oh and one more thing. They opened Buzz when we lived there and they were having a celebration parade and the CMs before the parade were getting the crowd excited, etc (all in Japanese) so we had no idea what was being said, etc. Then all of the sudden the CMs were chanting and the crowd joined in. What were they chanting? "Buzz-O!" So in our family Buzz Lightyear is Buzzo :)
Rachel

Do the CM's in TDS participate with trading pins like in WDW & DL? We went for the first time to WDW in 2007. I have the bug. :yay:
DH is from Japan and our next visit will most definitely will include TDS! I'm not to worried about loggings since M & D live near there. Still debating weather to get a motel nearby TDS. Any thoughts??
BTW, tell DH that we are very proud of his service and thank him for us. :cheer2: I hope he arrives safe and sound to you and the kids.

Do the CM's in TDS participate with trading pins like in WDW & DL? We went for the first time to WDW in 2007. I have the bug. :yay:
DH is from Japan and our next visit will most definitely will include TDS! I'm not to worried about loggings since M & D live near there. Still debating weather to get a motel nearby TDS. Any thoughts??
BTW, tell DH that we are very proud of his service and thank him for us. :cheer2: I hope he arrives safe and sound to you and the kids.

I didn't see any pin trading when we went. I didn't see any places that would have trading. http://www.tokyodisneyresort.co.jp/index_e.html would have info for you. There would also be info on hotels. They have 3 in the resort Disney hotels, 6 official hotels, 5 partner hotels (I've stayed at one of them and will be staying (hopefully!!) at another one in a few weeks-nice!) and 14 good neighbor hotels. The partner hotels have buses that run pretty often, the official hotels are all on the monorail (which costs money-in resort hotels can ride for free, but not sure about official) and the good neighbor hotels have buses, but they have to be reserved.

I loved going to TDL and TDSea. DisneySea is SO amazing. We had a blast at both places, but TDSea was much cooler. It has Journey to the Center of the Earth which is one of my most fave rides in any park. My only issue-my legs were too long. I left Tokyo with bruises!

The food can get pretty expensive depending on what/where you eat. Do NOT go to Planet Hollywood at Ikspiari. The food was nasty, and all I had was a burger. Several of our friends on base have gone as well and said the same thing. I felt bad for not warning them!! However, a friend of mine said that the popcorn bucket I lent her was a lifesaver. They tried almost all the popcorn in the parks-and there are MANY kinds. From sea salt to black pepper to CURRY!! If going, get the bucket-you can try some really good popcorn and it's filling-saving money at dinner ;) She also said it kept her 2 girls from arguing-another plus.

Politeness is everywhere in Japan. The CM bow and are EXTREMELY nice-you can't really compare CM in America to ones out here-it wouldn't work. Knowing phrases/words for please, thank you, I'm sorry, etc. would be very helpful too.

Do the CM's in TDS participate with trading pins like in WDW & DL?

Nope. In fact, there is even a sign in the shop at the end of TDL's Pirates of the Caribbean (which appears to have the largest pin selection in the park - but not much by WDW and DL standards) that says that there is no pin trading at the Tokyo Disney Resort. The question must have been asked a lot...

My own page of Tokyo Disney tips, maps, and photos: http://www.thirdamendment.com/tokyodisney.html.

Nope. In fact, there is even a sign in the shop at the end of TDL's Pirates of the Caribbean (which appears to have the largest pin selection in the park - but not much by WDW and DL standards) that says that there is no pin trading at the Tokyo Disney Resort. The question must have been asked a lot...

My own page of Tokyo Disney tips, maps, and photos: http://www.thirdamendment.com/tokyodisney.html.

I checked out your page and was laughing at the Stitch taking over the park-he didn't take over the park, he took over Japan!! I find Stitch stuff EVERYWHERE out here. In fact, I found a HUGE Stitch out in town the other day. It was as tall as me!

Well I've been to Tokyo DisneySea twice (2006 and 2008) and here are my thoughts.

1. Theming: Quite possibly the very best in the world...just outstanding, outstanding effort.

2. CM: This is where I feel they fall short of many Florida CMs. The DisneySea CMs may be outwardly polite, but they don't try to make your day 'magical'. What I mean is that you get the feeling that they are there to do their job, and they don't really care to try more than that. I'm not blaming them...just saying that's how it is there.

3. Rides: DisneySea has unique rides that can't be found elsewhere...so a trip there is worth it.

4. Food: You can find enough food there if you spend enough. The Japanese portion size is quite inadequate compared to the fare in WDW so most North Americans won't be satisfied and may have to buy more.

All in all, I loved Tokyo DisneySea. I didn't bother with Disneyland because I've been to the Magic Kingdoms in LA and Orlando and Hong Kong too many times already. But Tokyo DisneySea is one of a kind, and for a disney fanatic, worth the airfare. :thumbsup2

2. CM: This is where I feel they fall short of many Florida CMs. The DisneySea CMs may be outwardly polite, but they don't try to make your day 'magical'. What I mean is that you get the feeling that they are there to do their job, and they don't really care to try more than that. I'm not blaming them...just saying that's how it is there.

They may not try to surprise you with "stuff" but I encountered some truly magical CM's when I was there. I'd booked the MiraCosta hotel and was only able to get one of the lesser views; when I asked about getting a view of the Aquasphere (which was one of the options for my room type), the CM checking me in started talking to some people... and all of a sudden I was upgraded to the BEST Porto Paradiso view. Which was truly a dream come true, and way beyond my expectations.

Admittedly, I received similar service in other non-Disney hotels. But I never got the impression that Japanese CM's were just there to earn a paycheck. It's just a different culture... plus many Japanese are shy about approaching foreigners (unless the foreigner seems to obviously need help) because they are very self critical of their language skills.

Also have to say that I love the Cappuccino popcorn at DisneySea... :love:

Understand pizza is not like what we have in the US, you will find chunks of potato, squid, etc on top.

Rachel

the first time I had CORNFLAKES in my soft serve Ice cream was an experience to say the least.. fried eggs on a Teriyaki flavored Quarter Pounder. Canned corn on my pizza. Fermented Bean curd... chopped up octopus tentacles deep fried in dough.....

ahh those were the days....

We are actually hoping to get orders back there in 2010. If we do, one of our FIRST trips will be back to TDS!

I stayed for 4 nights/days at TDL/TDS last october for halloween at the Mira Costa. I paid the extra for the Porto Paradiso view room - which was spectacular - both for the view and the cost! (let just say OUCH! on my credit card - then again I'm from Australia where our dollar buys NOTHING!).:sad2: Still - staying at the paradiso we saw all the shows from our room - the hotel is part of the park so we were right on top of the lake. Including the Christmas show they were rehearsing every night and morning after the park was closed!

The previous posters have said everything - the amazing Pooh ride, the astonishing quality of TDS and it's theming. Inane pointless Aquatopia ride - which was DH's fav cause it had no theme, no story, no secrets, no point - except that amazing technology they use also for Pooh. And yes the Japanese LOVE Disney - the crowds are astonishing and they run for Pooh at rope drop. At TDS I really liked the technology used for 20K under Sea ride - get into little diving bells and pretend to dive underwater exploring Atlantis and being attacked by giant squid etc. They did that really well.

Now the extra thing the Japanese do is cosplay. Yep for certain weeks of the year - and halloween is one - Disney actually encourage everyone to come to the parks dressed as their favourite characters! I've never seen so many Alice's in all my life! It's Fan-freekin-tastic! and the outfits are astonishingly good.:worship:

here is my flickr page http://www.flickr.com/photos/85906292@N00/sets/72157608805750674/

I have posted some of my costume photos to give you an idea.

MK is bigger than DL MK - more open spaces and WAY more crowded than DisneySea. TDS would have to be the most beautiful theme park I've ever visited.

the other difference is the shopping. Limited merchandise - mostly centred around food - tins and tins and walls and piles and mounds of biscuits, rice crackers, chocolates, mochi balls etc. The rule of thumb I was advised was that because the Japanese live in small houses and they have a gift giving (omiyage)culture they give each other gifts of food.

We spent 6 months learning Japanese before we went and it was useful to a small degree. CMs spoke enough english - signs are dual Japanese/english. A lot of dialogue and shows was in Japanese and we didn't have enough to understand what was happening ("Capt, Capt our submarine is being attacked by a giant squid" just isn't one of those lines they teach in language classes :lmao:

everyone who has been has given long posts about the exceptional quality of TDL and TDS. I liked the discussion board on Laughing Place the most followed by Mice Age.

Save your $$s and go!:flower3:

the first time I had CORNFLAKES in my soft serve Ice cream was an experience to say the least.. fried eggs on a Teriyaki flavored Quarter Pounder. Canned corn on my pizza. Fermented Bean curd... chopped up octopus tentacles deep fried in dough.....

ahh those were the days....

We are actually hoping to get orders back there in 2010. If we do, one of our FIRST trips will be back to TDS!

I LOVE cornflakes in my ice cream ;) Big Seal puts them in a lot of sundaes and parfaits. So yummy!! As for the octopus ball things....not so much. Yea the portions are smaller, but then again-I don't need as much food as I get back in the states. I'm used to it by now.

The Pooh ride is amazing! I have a feeling I'll be a little dissapointed when I get to WDW and ride that Pooh ride for the first time. And I liked Aquatopia. True-no real point, but I laughed hysterically when we rode it-4 times in a row:rolleyes1

As for shopping-there are a lot of food items for sale in all the touristy spots I've been to. I asked a co-worker when I worked at the gym, and she said that a lot of people buy tins or boxes of cookies and treats to take back as gifts. One gift can be for several people-example: work. They take a box or tin to work and set it out. This works two-fold. The tin is a nice decoration, and everyone has a souvenir. She also said it's like a 'gomenasai' (sp) payment. It means that they're sorry that they got to go away and have fun while everyone at work had to work!

HI ! My family will be going to TDL this July (yes I know it will be hot and crowded:)) My question - we will be going straight from the airport to the Miracosta - any recs. on the best way to do that? ALso, we want to go into Tokyo for a day or 2 - best way to get there/see Tokyo? I have been doing some research of course, but would love to hear from someone who's been there.

THANKS!!

best way to do Tokyo is via subway/train. you could spend a week just in Ueno Park and be content.. Zoo, Museums, people watching...

same with getting to the hotel.. take the train.

that's what i keep hearing. we are from Texas - so no train riding here. i have never had any problem with subways etc. in cities, but have never gone with luggage??? so you just get on with your luggage? I know it may seem such a silly question, but that is really my only concern about the trip from airport to TDL.:rolleyes1

thanks for your help - we are very excited!!

yeap. the train actually pulls in to both terminals at Narita. In fact there will most likely be a place to stash your smaller carry ons above or below the seats .there will be somebody who can help you get on the right train and help you buy tickets. or you could just follow all the people in costume to the right platform hehehe.

Tokyo's stations are all bilingual sign wise so no worries there.

HI ! My family will be going to TDL this July (yes I know it will be hot and crowded:)) My question - we will be going straight from the airport to the Miracosta - any recs. on the best way to do that? ALso, we want to go into Tokyo for a day or 2 - best way to get there/see Tokyo? I have been doing some research of course, but would love to hear from someone who's been there.

THANKS!!

Taking the train is probably the quickest way, but changing at Tokyo Station can be tricky. I think there is also a bus that goes direct to the resorts-- it runs less frequently, but I imagine it would be less confusing especially if you are not familiar with travel in Japan.

Found a link: http://www.tokyodisneyresort.co.jp/tdr/english/plan/access/narita_bus.html

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter