Tokyo Disney on 2 Weeks’ Notice: Hightower Halloween Costume!

Looooooong time lurkyloo lurker, first time poster. :goodvibes

Just wanted to say that I'm so loving this trip report! Thank you so much for putting up all the pics and writing up all the details. I'm planning a trip, but it's hard to know if we'll pull it off with the way this economy is going. Until I make my trip a reality, it's fun living vicariously through yours.

Also.. every time you mention Uncle Matt, I can't help but think of Uncle Traveling Matt from Fraggle Rock. :cutie: It's a perfect mental image, considering your hubby's career.

Loved your latest update. I am wondering one thing though. Everyone here is so worried about your head. Is anyone concerned about the doorframe you hit. The poor frame may never be the same.:rotfl2:

Great update with fantastic photos, as usual. I particularly like the look of Toontown and the perfume shop. The Ambassador looks very nice too.

Yes! I can't wait to go back some day and see these places in the daytime!

Showing my lack on knowledge here...but what would have given them a heart attack? :confused3

That would be all the older features of the fort that have been removed from Disneyland's version, like the rifles that still have finger triggers to catch little fingers!

Is that a recycling/trash can, or something completely different?

Recycling! Also, I was told the same story about pin-collecting's demise at TDR. :(

These pictures really show what you mean by "it's like being in a dream about the Magic Kingdom where everything is just a bit off". I totally got that feeling from the shot of the castle at the Swiss Family Robinson treehouse and from the Adventureland entrance sign.

Yay! I'm glad you can see what I mean. It's really weird—I never feel that way in the MK anymore, but boy did the "bizarro" kick in over there!

That Stitch lunchbox is cute!

And how is calling a sandwich of minced meat (or whatever it said) appetizing? Yuck.

Good question! Some of the English translations are pretty funny (like my sandwich on "graham").

Wow, great update.
Sorry about the head!:headache:
Again, as always, beautiful pictures. And this time just one big butterfly was born, well actually the birthing process was a bit painful, mouth very wide open and out popped a MOTHRA! bwahahahaha:rotfl2:

My jaw is actually starting to hurt from its lack of use while reading/veiwing your trip reports. :lmao:

:rotfl2: Oh no! Where are the Disney lawyers when I need them to protect me with a disclaimer?!

I love how the restaurants have fake dinners! It's nice to see what you are really getting!

I couldn't help but notice that the Crystal Palace had a price for adults, a price for children 7-12, and another price for children 4-6! That's a pretty darn smart way of doing things!

Yes! It's a shame US Disney parks can't adopt the tiered system for kids. I hardly think a 10-year-old eats as much as an adult! :sad2:

LOL, no. I think we are about the same age since we both had the Peaches and Cream Barbie and both loved & remember Oreo Big Stuff. So if you are a hippie, so am I. But if you were around in the 60's, crap, you look great for your age!

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Mmm... Big Stuff.... makes me wanna get right on down to Goofy's Candy Co. for a naked ginormous Oreo!

BTW, reading your updates and the one thing that I keep thinking is... I need to bring an empty suitccase. All the merch pics you took are amazing. There's no way I would be able to say no to all of those things. And I'm pretty darn good with surpressing my shopping impulse... sigh... DH is NOT going to be happy...

YES! Patrick's parents made us take along one of their huge duffle bags at the last minute, and we were do glad they did. We filled that sucker, AND the one for Uncle Matt! So always bring an extra bag!

Sooo... a question for you.
You said Patrick's favorite hotel is Ambassador, what's yours?

:scratchin This is hard because I loved all three for different reasons, and the one I thought I was gonna love most, MiraCosta, didn't quite wow me the in the decor department the way I thought it would. But I guess the proof is in the pudding—if we ever go back, I'm already know I'd book MiraCosta just for the convenience and the views.

Weird how parts of Tom Sawyer Island look so Thunder Mountainy.
Also, your poor head. I don't ever bump my head, but I always manage to take a tumble.....I feel like such a clutz when I do it.

Yeah, I'm a klutz too. I think I just move too fast!

I can "feel" your pain with the hit to the head - literally! A couple of summers ago we were going through the Honey, I Shrunk the Kids play area and came around a corner and smacked straight into the sniffing dog nose. Could feel it bumping up so I put my ice cold water bottle on it and a little kid walked by, past my laughing son, and said "hey lady - you are bleeding!". Yep, I sure was - and not just a trickle - but enough to panic the CM who quickly came over, and sat me on a bench and called to have an emt to come look at me. I started to panic thinking I split my head open and would have stitches on my forehead. The emt asked what I had done - and apparently the English language left my head when I hit is because my reply was "I hit my head on the dog sniffer thing." All of our pictures for the rest of the vacation have me with a set of bandaids on my forehead. To this day we still laugh about it - and each summer I am asked by the family if I want to go play by the "dog sniffer thing."

:rotfl2: Oh my gosh, that's HI-larious! What a great story! And I love the little kid's flat, "Hey lady - you are bleeding!" :rotfl: Duly noted, little kid.

I hope that your head healed quickly! I sometimes have to watch those things as well. Loved the update! Those toiletries looked adorable!

Thanks! I only had a goose egg for about a day, and it didn't even turn all yucky colors or anything. Guess my doofy hat was good for something...

Ouch -- sorry you hit your head!

I'm intrigued by the fact that CP has pricing for ages 4-6 and then 7-12.

Yes! It just makes so much sense! Another lesson Oriental Land Co. could teach Disney...

Another fantastic update! I'm sorry about your head, but as a fellow klutz I feel your pain. I am constantly smacking, banging, scratching myself for no reason....I should really take out stock in Band-Aids :lmao: Looking forward to more TR, I'll need to keep myself busy next week while DH is out of town for work. (In fact he'll be in your neck of the woods at the Siggraph convention at the LA Convention Center).

Oh cool! But what, no Comic Con? :teeth: You and me both with the Band-Aids—Patrick always laughs at the innumerable Ziplocs full of Band-Aids I bring on our Disney trips, but then I look like the smartest guy in the room when someone actually needs one! :lmao:

Looooooong time lurkyloo lurker, first time poster. :goodvibes

Just wanted to say that I'm so loving this trip report! Thank you so much for putting up all the pics and writing up all the details. I'm planning a trip, but it's hard to know if we'll pull it off with the way this economy is going. Until I make my trip a reality, it's fun living vicariously through yours.

Welcome out of lurkdom! :wave 2: I hope you are able to swing the trip—I'll keep churnin' out installments in the meantime!

Also.. every time you mention Uncle Matt, I can't help but think of Uncle Traveling Matt from Fraggle Rock. :cutie: It's a perfect mental image, considering your hubby's career.

I know, right? :cutie: Maybe we should start calling him that!

Loved your latest update. I am wondering one thing though. Everyone here is so worried about your head. Is anyone concerned about the doorframe you hit. The poor frame may never be the same.:rotfl2:

:rotfl: Yes, next time you're at TDL's fort, look for the Lurkyloo-shaped chunk out of the doorway! :lmao:

Oh cool! But what, no Comic Con? :teeth: You and me both with the Band-Aids—Patrick always laughs at the innumerable Ziplocs full of Band-Aids I bring on our Disney trips, but then I look like the smartest guy in the room when someone actually needs one! :lmao:

Nope no Comic Con, heaven forbid DH would be set loose there, we could wave all of our Disney travel money good-bye :rotfl: You know what's funny, after I made my last comment on here, I logged off my computer and proceeded to smash 3 toes on the computer desk and then scratch the bottom of my foot on the metal hinge-thingy on my computer bag :headache: Got any (virtual) Band-Aids? ;)

Aw.... :hug: Here are some virtual Hello Kitty BandAids for your toes!

BAN52.jpg

And this one's for the bottom of your foot:

hello-kitty-band-aid1.jpg

Wow! Loved the Mira Costa update, and I think I forgot to comment - I was probably too tired to type.

I'm sorry you bumped your head, but I laughed until I cried, picturing that poor little girl - she probably thought you were lost from HM!:lmao:

The Ambassador is cute in a retro sort of way. Your room looks like its all ready for the Cleavers!

It's an air purifier - the buttons are too blurry for me to read, but the model number was legible enough to google :)

It's an air purifier - the buttons are too blurry for me to read, but the model number was legible enough to google :)

Hey good work, Sherlock!:thumbsup2 I tried to use my "Goggle" app for my phone, but it couldn't scan it well enough.

All caught up now. I am loving all the detail of the pictures and descriptions of all the resorts, parks and food. Disney Sea seems like an amazing park. I loved all the pictures from your room at Mira Costa. Very nice room location. Love the pool shots too. Thank you for staying at all three of the hotels so that we can all see and compare the resorts.:lmao:

Your comments are so funny, not sure I can comment on just one. I love the popcorn buckets and your use of the photo op location for the bear. I am so interested in all the food descriptions, esp desserts.:thumbsup2

Having just returned from DLR with my >750 pictures, I can relate to Patrick and his photo documentation. BTW thanks for your DL tips. I loved WOC, DCA and GCH.

All caught up! I missed an update 'cause I was at Comic-Con (nerd!). I LOVE the Ambassador already but, I think MiraCosta is divine. It'd be a toss up for me, for sure!

My family and I were eating dinner tonight, and since my 11 year-old son is a picky eater, I often try to steer the conversation toward trying new things, odd foods we heard about, etc., so that he might get a broader perspective on eating. Anyway, tonight we were talking about weird seafood, and I remembered your post about the octoballs. As I tried to describe the pictures you took of the food stand with the indentations for the octopus/dough/dumplings, my son's face lit up. He started describing the cooking method along with me: putting the octopus in the dough; turning them over to make a ball; putting on toppings. I was shocked! How did he know this?? As it turns out, making octoballs is a mini-game called Dumpling Masters that is part of his Legendary Starfy game on his Nintendo DS. So I dialed up your trip report and showed him your pictures from the food stand, to which he replied, "Oh yeah! There's the indentations, and you turn over the batter and it becomes a ball!" So then he got his DS and showed me the game--and there was (a cartoon version of) a little grill with 8 indentations. To play the game, you have to oil each indentation one-by-one, scoop in the batter, add pieces of octopus, turn them over (they turn brown as they cook!! Some of them burn if you take too long!), serve them, and put toppings on them (some of the toppings are even squirted on like in your pictures!). Hilarious! So, I guess video games CAN be educational, IF you can figure out where the cultural references come from, that is! Thank you!! :woohoo:

So sorry you hit your head :hug:, I would have cried too. Patrick took some really fantastic pictures. The new hotel looks great.

I was reading on the WDW Character Hunt website yesterday and thought of you.

They stated that: Duffy the Disney Bear is going to start making appearances at Epcot, tentative start date is October 14. What is up with that??

WOW! I have been sitting here now since 1:00 (7.5 hours) going through your TR and I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it! I am also in awe of how beautiful everything is (and so interestingly different!) at TDR and TDS. Your pictures and narrative are perfect and I hope that I can convince DH to go someday. DD was ready to pack and go after page 1! :goodvibes DH is just making grunting noises as I'm ooohing and aahing over it all, he'll take some mighty convincing - he's not nearly as adventurous as DD and I.

By the way, how tall are you because that's one of the things DD mentioned -she's 6'1 and she worries about things being sized down for the mostly Japanese tourists and she doesn't want to be embarrassed by not fitting into some of the rides.

Your early Tokyo photos are amazing too - I love the toy store ones (and how the first store you visited was right next to the Burberry boutique!) and can't imagine how you resisted all of that cuteness. :lmao:

DD and I are eagerly awaiting more! Thank you so much for this spectacular TR!!!!

Oh, and Hi PopArtGal!

WOW! I have been sitting here now since 1:00 (7.5 hours) going through your TR and I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it! I am also in awe of how beautiful everything is (and so interestingly different!) at TDR and TDS. Your pictures and narrative are perfect and I hope that I can convince DH to go someday. DD was ready to pack and go after page 1! :goodvibes DH is just making grunting noises as I'm ooohing and aahing over it all, he'll take some mighty convincing - he's not nearly as adventurous as DD and I.

By the way, how tall are you because that's one of the things DD mentioned -she's 6'1 and she worries about things being sized down for the mostly Japanese tourists and she doesn't want to be embarrassed by not fitting into some of the rides.

Your early Tokyo photos are amazing too - I love the toy store ones (and how the first store you visited was right next to the Burberry boutique!) and can't imagine how you resisted all of that cuteness. :lmao:

DD and I are eagerly awaiting more! Thank you so much for this spectacular TR!!!!

Oh, and Hi PopArtGal!

Don't worry about fitting in the rides. The Japenese planned in Gaijin to come visit so they plan accordingly. If you are tall just don't plan on buying clothes off the rack or shoes if you have big feet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter