Tokyo Dining

twhitaker

Mouseketeer
Whats the differance between Tokyo Dining and the other Japan Restaurant?? Which one is better?

Tokyo dining is an a la carte restaurant with a large number of sushi and sashimi items on the menu (as well as non-sushi items).

Teppan Edo is (as the name suggests) a teppan or hibatchi style restaurant with a more limited menu where you will sit around a large hot plate in groups of 8 (or is it 10?) and watch the chef prepare your entree.

Tokyo Dining tends to have a quieter and more relaxing atmosphere, IMO.

Teppan Edo (the other Japan restaurant) is a Teppanyaki style restaurant. You'll sit in groups of about 8 all facing the chef who will cook at the grill at the table. Tokyo Dining is a traditional restaurant where they cook in the kitchen.

I haven't been to either to know quality differences, but they're both pretty highly regarded. If the "show" is something that interests you (and you don't have a similar place near by), then Teppan may be something neat. Otherwise, going by the menus to see which offers what may be your best bet. (I do know that there is a far greater sushi selection at Tokyo, if that's your thing. It's not mine...but I'm abnormal :p)

I've been to both and I enjoy both, but I think I prefer Teppan Edo. As the others have explained it is a Teppan style restaurant where you sit at tables for 8 around the grill while the chef entertains as he cooks your meal. I enjoy the "show" and I think the food is delicious. There are several tables per small room so it can be noisy.
I enjoyed Tokoyo Dining very much as well. It is a much more dignified and refined atmosphere. Service is excellent and the food was great. In addition to the extensive sushi mentioned, the serve traditional Japanese food like Bento Boxes, as well as Tempura prepared entrees and items cooked on a grill.
Enjoy

Thanks for the quick reviews. I just booked Tokyo Dining because I want the more intimate atmosphere and we LOVE sushi!

Are ADRs needed for these restaurants? If so, are they needed at the 180 +10 mark or are they still available closer to arrival at WDW?

I'm not really very impressed with the sushi at Tokyo Dining. We eat so much sushi at local restaurants that the rolls they have don't really leave me wanting more. I guess we're just spoiled. I don't like kampyo gourd, and they put it in the roll I order and it kinda ruins it. If we want sushi, we'll just stop by the QS and get a spicy tuna roll.

We have tried Kimono's which was okay. Again, with sushi restaurants you have to know what to get, you might have to try a few things before you get something you really like.

I'm looking forward to doing Teppan Edo again, we liked it more than Toyko Dining.

Not sure if anyone remembers years ago when they had the Tempura Bar/Room, that was fun, we'd go there or to the lounge section.

I've read people recommend California Grill for sushi. And Wolfgang Puck's cafe has pretty good sushi, but it's pricey and the portions are small.

Are ADRs needed for these restaurants? If so, are they needed at the 180 +10 mark or are they still available closer to arrival at WDW?

You don't need to book them right at the 180 mark. If you're going during a slower time and are flexible about the time you eat, you may even get a reservation the same week, day or even a walk up. But if you're going during a busier time of year ( or during free dining) and/or you'd prefer to eat during peak times, then you'll want to book a reservation earlier rather than later. The good news is that neither restaurant requires a credit card guarantee, so it's easy to book, cancel or book another time, without the worry of charges.

We walked up last week and got a noon lunch reservation for Tokyo Dining with no problem. Both the service and the food were excellent. We will definitely go back there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter