Toddler leash

We have the monkey backpack one. We haven't needed to use it yet, but we leave all options on the table. Our DS will be 2.5 for our trip this summer and he is a handful!

When we took DS when he was 2.5 we made a strict rule that he was either on the stroller or had to stay close by and not run, if he ran he will be put into the stroller ASAP. He tried running twice and got the point. I have nothing against the backpacks, but they don't teach the kid to stay close in a crowd which they really need to learn. I often see too many kids yanking on them. Also, the issue with others tripping on it if your child runs is very real.
I know knowing for sure that you can locate you child if he runs gives you peace of mind. Have you considered a gps or bluetooth tag? You can get some very small tiles that you can put into anything that work pretty well with your phone using bluetooth over relatively good distances. You can also get a smart watch for kids with a locator.
:rolleyes1 Some kids are just runners, regardless of how awesome the parents are at discipline. Consider yourself lucky that apparently you didn't have one. Have you seen the backpack leashes? They are very short, and it's basically impossible to trip others with them.

:rolleyes1 Some kids are just runners, regardless of how awesome the parents are at discipline. Consider yourself lucky that apparently you didn't have one. Have you seen the backpack leashes? They are very short, and it's basically impossible to trip others with them.
I have five kids, only one runner. Putting him back in the stroller twice wouldn't have done a thing - try years! We had leashes for him and his twin, it was really the only way I could take them for walks without a stroller (to teach them not to run in the street, on lawns, etc. - can't keep them trapped in the stroller all of the time).

We used the monkey backpack for my DS when he was 18 months. He would scream and try to climb out if I put him in a stroller and he was a runner as well. We traveled cross country with layovers and the last thing I wanted was him to take off in the airport. We would hold hands and 50% and the 50% he would try to run. I was grateful we had it! Now at 7 yo, he likes to hold hands... go figure? And DD is complete opposite. She's almost 4 and still would rather be in a stroller or carried. It's not always the parents and their discipline strategies... sometimes kids just want to run.

I have five kids, and for some of my kids I would have smugly said a leash is not needed-its all in how you handle it-now, several kids later, same parenting and I would say it depends on the kiddo, we had a couple of runners. And sure, we could spend our time educating them on the hazards of that, but I always figured WDW wasn't the place, I wanted them safe, and I didn't want to be debating with a two year old! Crazy thing was once we put those backpacks on, they didn't run or even try. We sometimes had them on without the leash part clipped on and they still worked! lol

With twin 2 year olds, backpack leashes are a must for us. We got the butterfly and dinosaur ones off of amazon, and the kids love them. People can judge all they want, fact of the matter is you have kids that won't run off and give you a headache/heartache. Even if you have wonderfully disciplined kids (which I do not!), Disney World is in not home. There's tons of shiny, fascinating things that they see that could cause them to get lost in a huge crowd.

I had one for my son on our trip when he'd just turned 3 because he was a runner. He hated it! All I had to do was show it to him and threaten to put it on him and he stayed put. I never had to actually use it, just knowing it was in the backpack was enough for him. Lol! That said, I was totally prepared to use it if needed regardless of what anyone else thought. My child's safety comes first. OP, if you feel that a tether is best for your child, use one! Have a magical trip!! :earsboy:

Thanks everyone. The other night, I told my daughter that when I go to Disneyworld I have a backpack and Daddy has one too (this is true, we always carry backpacks there). She immediately said she wants one too. So I told her she can choose which one she wants. I showed her the Skip Hop options and ordered her the Monkey one she chose. She is so excited.

BTW I never give a _____ over what anyone thinks. If I think she will run away, I will have her wear the backpack. She is only 2 and it's hard to reason with her at this age about this matter. She doesn't understand the dangers that can be there. Plus she is very independent and doesn't like to stay in a stroller for long (she asks to push the stroller instead). She is a very good girl, but that is what she likes to do. We have no problem running after her at the local Barnes and Noble where there aren't many people around, but I won't take a chance at a large space with the crowds that WDW has. My daughter's safety is my only priority and the backpack idea will make it fun for her.

Last edited:
Funny you mention this, DS was a runner. Not sure if the crowds scared him or what
Just wanted to put some other views out there. In the end, at least for me, it helps to have different points of view to consider. Only the parent knows the child, and he or she will do what may fit their child best.

We used one on my son when he was little. He was very fast and would break our hold on him and run away if he could.

We did get some strange looks, but we ignored them.

My son absolutely hated being on that leash. We were able to use it an an incentive - if he promised to hold our hand, stay with us and not run away, he didn't have to wear it. He agreed and we never had another problem with him running away from us.

You know what is best for your children. If you need to use it, use it and don't give a care what other people think!

My daughter is 2.5 and is very fast. She loves to take off and run in open spaces and I am afraid of her disappearing in the large crowds at WDW. Has anyone here had any good or bad experiences with child tethers? Any recommendations?

Thank you in advance.

I am sure you've gotten many great recommendations, but I have not had time to read through them.

We also have a 2.5 year old, he is a very fast runner,. We will be visiting WDW in March and have a goldbug 2-in-1 harness we will be utilizing in the parks when he is not in his stroller. He actually asks to wear it around the house and loves to pretend that the "Leash" is a tail. We have the monkey and the frog.

Goldbug Animal 2 in 1 Harness, Lion
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001AXF5EC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_XdfSybAXXYRAF

My two kids couldn't be more different when it comes to listening. My son, though a fast little toddler, was a rule follower. You could tell him once and it was a law never to be broken. This little girl of mine here's a rule and smiles while breaking it. While only 15 months, I can tell it will be a trend with her. I will have no shame in using a leashed backpack if needed.

You may also consider using Safety Tats, or something similar. It is a temporary tattoo that you can write your phone number on so that if you did get separated, the CMs would be able to call you quickly. We used these when my boys were 2 and 5. They stayed on for about 4 days with swimming, showers, and copious sun screen application.

You do what you need to do. One of my kids did need one at the start of our trip. He didn't like it but needed it. We used that to our advantage after a couple days. We told him he didn't have to wear it if he stayed with us - and it worked. I brought it with me and made sure he knew I had it. It is better to have it and not need it than the reverse.

When we took DS when he was 2.5 we made a strict rule that he was either on the stroller or had to stay close by and not run, if he ran he will be put into the stroller ASAP. He tried running twice and got the point. I have nothing against the backpacks, but they don't teach the kid to stay close in a crowd which they really need to learn. I often see too many kids yanking on them. Also, the issue with others tripping on it if your child runs is very real.
I know knowing for sure that you can locate you child if he runs gives you peace of mind. Have you considered a gps or bluetooth tag? You can get some very small tiles that you can put into anything that work pretty well with your phone using bluetooth over relatively good distances. You can also get a smart watch for kids with a locator.
Lol tried running twice.
Credit to the child for makin a break for it lol

My daughter is 8 and has always been a bolter. I tried the leashes and she was always able to get out of them. If you decide to use one I would practice using it at home while you are out and about to get her used it. Because it didn't work for me, if my daughter wasn't in her stroller then she had to hold my hand, she was quick, but I was always quicker ;) The only trip I ever lost her (3 times no less) was the trip I was there with my mom and sister because they were not quicker, after 4 days, they were not allowed to watch her anymore lol.

My daughter is 2.5 and is very fast. She loves to take off and run in open spaces and I am afraid of her disappearing in the large crowds at WDW. Has anyone here had any good or bad experiences with child tethers? Any recommendations?

Thank you in advance.
My DD was also very fast at that age and very little fear. I choose to use the backpack version. Some people are judgmental but I feel that, as a parent, you get to choose what is best for your situation. My daughter is now eight and she does remember wearing the backpack. She expresses no ill will against it.

Never used one, but I don't see any reason not to if you think it will work.

I have a friend whose mom put her in a leash when she was a toddler, and it saved her life. The family was visiting a canyon and had stopped at a look out spot. She was so small; she slipped right under the safety fence, and fell off the cliff face. Her mother was able to pull her back up by the leash. Very scary. Without the leash, the fall to the canyon floor would have killed her.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter