• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Toddler injured leg, four days until our trip. Little help?

branv

<font color=blue>The safety feature in my parents
Out of the blue last night our just turned 2 yo can't bear weight on his right leg. Today is a little better, as he's not sobbing anymore when he tries to put weight on it, but he still can't make it more than a few steps before he grimaces, sits down and grabs his leg. We went to the pedi, and xrays are clear. No swelling, signs of infection, bruising, fever or tenderness when squeezed out moved. His range of motion is totally normal, and when he's sitting he's the usual ants-in-the-pants nonstop movement. He can use the leg totally fine, even to push against the back of my chair in the car and he even got up on his knees and "walked" for a minute. He's in a good mood. But putting full weight on his leg is a no go. We have no idea what happened, fine one minute (and a crazed active toddler at the park earlier that day), "ouch" the next.

The pediatrician said to watch it, and Ibuprofen until then. At his age it's very unlikely a sprain/strain, but not impossible.

But of course we leave for WDW in four days! What do we do if he's still unable to walk much or at all while there? He's huge for his age: 35 lbs of constant motion. So there's no way we can hold him all day for 20-30 minutes in lines for which we don't have FP. Any tips how to make this work? Is there a pass we can get that will let us take our stroller into line? We're not trying to get out of waiting, just wanting to be *able* to do the lines with him. Would I need a doctor's note?

Thank you so much. Between worrying about him and knowing the trip is looming, I'm so nervous.

Yes, there is a pass that you can get to take the stroller into the lines. It's referred to as a "stroller as a wheelchair" pass. When you enter the park, go to guest services and explain what is going on. They will put a sticker on your stroller. No doctor's note is needed, but you will have to have your son and his stroller with you when you go to guest services.

If you don't already have a chiropractor in your stable of healthcare providers it will seem an odd suggestion , but I suggest it. The misalignments chiros look for aren't big enough for MDs to are about, but they can cause big issues, including mystery pain. Find a family Chiro and get the little guy in to see him or her!

Out of the blue last night our just turned 2 yo can't bear weight on his right leg. Today is a little better, as he's not sobbing anymore when he tries to put weight on it, but he still can't make it more than a few steps before he grimaces, sits down and grabs his leg. We went to the pedi, and xrays are clear. No swelling, signs of infection, bruising, fever or tenderness when squeezed out moved. His range of motion is totally normal, and when he's sitting he's the usual ants-in-the-pants nonstop movement. He can use the leg totally fine, even to push against the back of my chair in the car and he even got up on his knees and "walked" for a minute. He's in a good mood. But putting full weight on his leg is a no go. We have no idea what happened, fine one minute (and a crazed active toddler at the park earlier that day), "ouch" the next.

The pediatrician said to watch it, and Ibuprofen until then. At his age it's very unlikely a sprain/strain, but not impossible.

But of course we leave for WDW in four days! What do we do if he's still unable to walk much or at all while there? He's huge for his age: 35 lbs of constant motion. So there's no way we can hold him all day for 20-30 minutes in lines for which we don't have FP. Any tips how to make this work? Is there a pass we can get that will let us take our stroller into line? We're not trying to get out of waiting, just wanting to be *able* to do the lines with him. Would I need a doctor's note?

Thank you so much. Between worrying about him and knowing the trip is looming, I'm so nervous.

The disabilities board should be able to help more, but he can get a stroller as a wheelchair tag from Guest Services and you can push him through the lines in his stroller. You will not get out of waiting with the tag anyway, you will still have to wait, the baby will just be in the stroller. Only on select lines (Peter Pan) will you get a return time and come back. You won't need a doctor's note just explain that he can't stand up in line.

Thank you all so much!

I just realized that he might not be able to walk through the security gate at the airport. Oh my goodness, I'm assuming they aren't nearly as easily accommodating as Disney.

Thank you all so much!

I just realized that he might not be able to walk through the security gate at the airport. Oh my goodness, I'm assuming they aren't nearly as easily accommodating as Disney.
They sort of have to be. He isn't alone in not being able to walk so they have to allow people thru security with chairs and such.
In their case I would have a note from the doctor just to cover your bases. It can't hurt.

And I hope he's feeling better. I hate to scare you but a friend of DGD just had the same exact situation, sudden intense pain and unable to walk without any known injury. She's 8 though. Anyway, hers was an infection that required surgery. She's on the mend but it was concerning as they were not sure on the source of the infection. Keep an eye on the little guy and maybe get a 2nd opinion if he's not improving?

Thank you all so much!

They are equally accomodating. Babies get carried through all the time, you may be asked for a hand swab instead.

Just wondering how did you react when he first was crying? If everything seems okay and the pediatrician can't find anything wrong, maybe he is playing chicken so you will hold him and carry him around?

TSA will NOT accept a not from a doctor. I was explicitly told that while chatting with a TSA officer. Who's to say the not was not forged.

Go to the orthopedist before a chiropator if you can get in.

His leg or his foot? My older daughter had the tiniest sliver of a splinter in one toe, and it was agonizing for her to walk. She could point out where it was though, and the doctor removed it with special equipment. (Special light and magnifier/micro tweezers)

If he's just grabbing random places on his leg, but can walk on his knees, hmmmm.....

I have no experience with chiropractors, so am not suggesting an "instead of" approach, but I do second the idea of seeing an orthopedist. My little guy was about 2 when he had a similar problem, though not quite as severe. Ortho got an X-ray which looked clear, but treated it as a fracture and said that sometimes they're so fine the X-ray just doesn't seem to show, however after a few weeks in a boot, a follow-up X-ray WOULD show new bone growth around the fracture if it existed. That would either confirm the fracture diagnosis or let you know there must be some other cause.

My guy did well walking in his boot (for Disney, I'd still recommend the stroller-as-wheelchair tag) and, sure enough, the follow-up X-ray showed it had been a fine fracture. No clue what caused it, no memorable falls or twists had occurred.

Best of luck to you!

I'm not sure that it will put your mind at ease at all, but a couple of months ago, my 3yo DS suddenly developed a limp. It came completely out of nowhere. DW noticed it at bedtime. We asked his Daycare teachers to watch it the next day, and they also noticed it. So, the following day, we called the Doc and got him in for the day after that (Day 4 after we noticed it). He was pretty much ok by that 4th day with only a slight limp, and the Doc couldn't find a problem. He was completely fine a day or two after that.

I am by no means a medical professional, but it may go away on its own if it has already shown some improvement. Obviously, if it continues, Disney trip aside, you should probably push your Doctor about it or get a second opinion.

DD had that happen around that age. Turned out to be a big growth spurt that was causing the leg pain. Our doctor says it is pretty common. It lasted a couple of days then it was gone. Hopefully that is all it is with your DS. Is he by chance totally starving and constantly eating right now too? That was always a telltale sign of a growth spurt with DD- Still is today and she is 9.

Thanks for your insight everyone. The pedi did say to give it a free days and if there is no improvement that we'd move forward. It's killing me to not know and feel helpless (and we all know the kind of thing Dr. Google can say). My poor little guy loves to run around, and keeps forgetting it hurts. You see him try to stand up and take a few steps and that look of discomfort hit his face, then down he goes. He's a little verbally delayed so can't tell us where exactly it hurts. He's at least in really good spirits.

Thanks for your insight everyone. The pedi did say to give it a free days and if there is no improvement that we'd move forward. It's killing me to not know and feel helpless (and we all know the kind of thing Dr. Google can say). My poor little guy loves to run around, and keeps forgetting it hurts. You see him try to stand up and take a few steps and that look of discomfort hit his face, then down he goes. He's a little verbally delayed so can't tell us where exactly it hurts. He's at least in really good spirits.

Heh - my son didn't speak until he was almost three and when we asked him about it later, he said, "I guess I didn't find anything to talk about."

And those good spirits will continue to Disney World and here's a suggestion. When you get the tag for the stroller so you can take it through the lines, get him an ice cream and since you'll be in line for his ice cream, get one for yourself. Ice cream cures everything.

While you're dealing with this perhaps a good toddler sized baby carrier? Brands like Beco and Tula make good ones and you can put kiddo on your back? Might get hot but could be helpful

Bringing some info from the disABILITIES FAQs thread to you......

My child doesn't have a wheelchair, but needs to stay in the stroller. Is this allowed?
Strollers are not usually allowed inside buildings or in most queues, but can be if needed for a disability.
Some children require a stroller because they can't walk or just need to 'security of the stroller to help calm or help contain them in line. Some children have a special needs stroller that looks a lot like a regular stroller and could easily be mistaken for a regular stroller.
To use a stroller in lines, you will need a sticker tag from Guest Relations that allows the stroller to be used as a wheelchair.
A tag may be necessary even with large special needs strollers - in the past, most people who needed these owned them. An Orlando company started renting them out in 2008 and people have been renting them for their older children without disabilities who don't want to walk. Because of this, they may no longer be recognized as "Special Needs Strollers" without the sticker.
With a 'stroller as a wheelchair', you will be able to:
    • take the stroller in all lines and buildings, even if strollers are not usually allowed
    • use wheelchair entrances. Few attractions have actual 'wheelchair entrances.' Since most lines are wheelchair accessible in the regular line to the point of boarding, you will usually be in the 'regular' line. (see post 11 of this thread).
    • use the stroller until boarding. The child may need to be removed to board a ride, but you can leave the stroller at the boarding area. You won't need to fold it, but should take anything of value.
    • use the stroller in shows and sit in the wheelchair seating areas. The child may need to get out of the stroller and sit on an adult's lap if the stroller seat is too low. Most shows have limited numbers of wheelchair spots, so wheelchair spots are sometimes filled before other seats are filled.
    • use wheelchair areas for parades. Wheelchairs and strollers are usually parked very close together across the front of the viewing area. If your child needs to be away from others, this may not work for you, or you may need to park behind the front row to get more space. Areas sometimes fill quickly, so arrive early.
If you have a park rental stroller, you will need a new sticker each day. If it is your own OR AN OUTSIDE RENTAL stroller, the sticker will be dated for the length of your stay.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter