Toddler Harness-To leash or not to leash

I am still here, patiently rechecking this thread for one of those parents who can tell me how to make my two year olds listen. I have seen the same two posters, one more so than the other, say over and over again as to how her
ONE child listens. Well, tell me how to do it. Tell me how to not embarrass myself and my sons by not having to harness them so they understand why running away is not allowed. You can say that you teach your children over and over again so tell me how to do it please.[/QUOTE]

I am right there with you! I would love any advice to try and get my 23month old runner to listen. I have a 16 year old daughter so not a new parent and running was never an issue with her. I must admit I was judgemental when she was little for anyone that used a leash but now that I have my DS who loves to run, I truly understand the need for them. Every child is different and each has their own personality. I do not think it is parenting skills, as I never ever had a problem with my daughter. So anyone that has some advice I would love to hear it.

Ok. Here's what you do.

Teach your little one how to attack on command. Biting shins and crotch punches are particularly good. Then, if you do get dirty looks, detach the "leash" and yell 'Attack!' Then, once your kid has the offenders in tears of pain say 'Bet you wish he was on a leash now!' :thumbsup2

I cant stop laughing!!

Im with you on this and thought even though you are clearly getting tons of support that I'd share my experience as well. The first time we brought my DD she was only 23 months and despite my fears of chastising busy bodies we brought along, and used, the Monkey Backpack for when she was tired of riding in the stroller. Like everyone has said, her safety comes FIRST and I was prepared to tell anyone who had something to say about it that very thing to their face. I am happy to report that we didnt have one single negative comment, nor did I notice any dirty looks (maybe I was blissfully unaware as I took in my surroundings :cloud9:). One little boy pointed out my DD to his mother and said something about the "cute little monkey" and the mother smiled understandingly to me and told her son he used to wear one too. Luckily WDW is obviously super family-centric so I think you'll find more support than otherwise. Your little bolter will be safe and thats all that matters!

PS- I saved the Monkey backpack and will be using it for my DS who will be about 18 months when we go in October :thumbsup2

I'll tell you what, I am so SO glad I bought those aminal back pack leashes for my kiddos! My son didn't really have the opportunity to wear his much (he's still got his "drunk sea legs" and I didn't want him falling on the concrete) but my daughter LOVED hers.

I had several parents (and grandparents) comment about how nice her unicorn was, and how it kept her safe (and where I got it). I didn't have any negative comments while there. there were many many times where my well behaved daughter got so caught up in the fun and the (sometimes over) stimulation of the parks that she would dart here or there and it's a lot to handle a running toddler when her 16 month old brother (who weights almost 25lbs) is in your arms.

Next year in the parks I anticipate using them again on both of them, since they will probably want to bolt in different directions. When we got home, my daughter asked for her unicorn, so I let her wear it (ours has the detachable leash, so when we are home and she wants to play with it, we just use it as a backpack.)

Do I use it all the time? No. Do I use it if I am with several grown ups out and about? No. But if both kids come with me when I am alone, you betcha.

I've used a leash twice. The first time was when I was in a crowded place and had six kids. I had two in a stroller, one walking and two big ones. The little guy wouldn't hold my hand. So I used a leash. Six kids? Yes, because I was a foster mom and had agreed to take on a sibling group so they wouldn't be separated until a grandparent could take them. The little guy wouldn't hold my hand because he didn't know me. (He is now my son.)

The second time was when I was traveling by plane to see my mom. This time I was with four kids. My daughter, a 16 year old foster daughter, and my two little ones (who I adopted). I carried my little girl Tori in a sling through a lot of the airport, but when we got to security I had to take her out of the sling to go through security. She was 2. Why do I use the leash? Because she was terrified of "cops" and had been taught, at two, to run from them. It took one time in a mall for her to see a security guard and get hysterical for me to clue in. So going through security, the leash was a great tool to get her through without her bolting.

No one looking at my kids would have known they had special needs. No one would have known they weren't my biological kids.

My point? You never know someone's story. Don't judge until you've walked a mile in their leash.

I always thought that I would never use a leash on my child, that was before he was born. He is now 2 and has ASD and we will be bringing the leash when we go in October. Why, because he likes to pull away and run, and although we tell him not to and hold on hard it does still happen. They say the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results, so until I am sure my son will stay with me he will have a harness.
Michelle

PS We had my 12 yr old nephew wander away at DW a few years ago and even that was nerve-wracking can't imagine a non-verbal 2 yr old

I've used a leash twice. The first time was when I was in a crowded place and had six kids. I had two in a stroller, one walking and two big ones. The little guy wouldn't hold my hand. So I used a leash. Six kids? Yes, because I was a foster mom and had agreed to take on a sibling group so they wouldn't be separated until a grandparent could take them. The little guy wouldn't hold my hand because he didn't know me. (He is now my son.)

The second time was when I was traveling by plane to see my mom. This time I was with four kids. My daughter, a 16 year old foster daughter, and my two little ones (who I adopted). I carried my little girl Tori in a sling through a lot of the airport, but when we got to security I had to take her out of the sling to go through security. She was 2. Why do I use the leash? Because she was terrified of "cops" and had been taught, at two, to run from them. It took one time in a mall for her to see a security guard and get hysterical for me to clue in. So going through security, the leash was a great tool to get her through without her bolting.

No one looking at my kids would have known they had special needs. No one would have known they weren't my biological kids.

My point? You never know someone's story. Don't judge until you've walked a mile in their leash.

God bless you

I am still here, patiently rechecking this thread for one of those parents who can tell me how to make my two year olds listen. I have seen the same two posters, one more so than the other, say over and over again as to how her
ONE child listens. Well, tell me how to do it. Tell me how to not embarrass myself and my sons by not having to harness them so they understand why running away is not allowed. You can say that you teach your children over and over again so tell me how to do it please.

I am right there with you! I would love any advice to try and get my 23month old runner to listen. I have a 16 year old daughter so not a new parent and running was never an issue with her. I must admit I was judgemental when she was little for anyone that used a leash but now that I have my DS who loves to run, I truly understand the need for them. Every child is different and each has their own personality. I do not think it is parenting skills, as I never ever had a problem with my daughter. So anyone that has some advice I would love to hear it.[/QUOTE]

When my first child was just over 2 years old, she went through a running phase (I say phase, but it only lasted a few days). At the time I also had a 3 month old baby (her sister). What worked for us? Draconian measures. Wherever we were, we would immediately leave if she ran off -- whether it was the mall, the park, on the way to the park, etc. I physically picked her up (while also wearing the baby) and we left and went home. She quickly discovered that running was less fun then whatever activity we were doing and she stopped.

Was it a major pain for those few days? Yes. I had to leave family functions or other outings to do it. But I wasn't about to leash her and I actually encouraged her to be out of the stroller so it was the only safe option. I'm sure some kids are oppositional defiant or have some other disorder where this may not work, but I think the vast majority of kids would end up making the same choice my daughter did.

I will start out by saying that I am not a fan of the leash at all. I do not use them. However if you feel the need to use them that is your business and I personally don't care.

That being said- if you are going to use them please do not let your child run ahead and clothesline people. On our last trip 2 of my young children who were walking almost got taken out by a child on a leash. The child was trying to run at full speed straining against the leash while the Mom was busy chatting up whoever she was with. There was about a 4 foot lead on it. The kid tried to run sideways at this point and almost knocked 2 of my children down. I can tell you that I was less than amused. Pay attention to your kids. Whether you are leashing or not you still need to watch them.

Oh- and I will say that I have seen kids picked up by their harnesses by the parents when they wouldn't stand up and I find that odd. YMMV.

That being said- if you are going to use them please do not let your child run ahead and clothesline people.

Oh- and I will say that I have seen kids picked up by their harnesses by the parents when they wouldn't stand up and I find that odd. YMMV.

Blame the parents, not the leash. Some people are just inconsiderate and I wouldnt blame you for being irritated by that but the vast majority of parents use them to keep their LO's safe rather than as a convenience item for the parent. Similarly, I use a stroller and it always ticks me off when stroller using parents hog up narrow walkways by strolling down the middle. I am a harness user when it is necessary (like crowded amusement parks) but strive to be considerate of others. There are always going to be idiots out there making the rest of us look bad!:thumbsup2

Oh I do blame the parents. If you are too lazy to actually look at what your kid is doing then I tend to think that you are just using the leash because you are a slacker. Not because of safety reasons. I do agree with you also about the strollers. In the same vein- if a person is walking with a stroller adults, please do not step over the front of the stroller. Either walk in front of it or wait for it to pass. No child needs your crotch in their face. JMHO.

Again- I don't use leashes and don't care if anyone does, but just be considerate of others.

I have never used a leash before, but I can tell you that if my adopted daughter was coming this trip I would. She ran away last year and although we kept up with her the whole time, it really would have been safer to have her near me. Not to mention the stress the situation put on my other kids!
I love the quote of the previous poster about not judging people. I whole heartedly agree. A lot of people have judged me regarding my kids (especially my adopted daughter) and no one really knows what someone else is going through! Don't judge!!

We have a Mickey One we will be using in Dec. I dont care what others think really how often will you seem them again, probably never!

Forget your kids, I think I need one for my mom!:lmao:

We'll be walking somewhere, and she'll say, Baby, you lead, I'll follow right behind. I get to the intersection (Casey's at MK, the turn to Hollywood Blvd., etc), turn around, and BOOM! she's gone!:confused3

So backtracking I go, until I find her in one out the shops. Oh, Baby!!!!! Aren't these wonderful?!?!?!? (Like we didn't just see them at the Resort gift shop, Mom?!?!?!)

Think if I got her the Minnie one it would work? :rotfl::rotfl:

Forget your kids, I think I need one for my mom!:lmao:

We'll be walking somewhere, and she'll say, Baby, you lead, I'll follow right behind. I get to the intersection (Casey's at MK, the turn to Hollywood Blvd., etc), turn around, and BOOM! she's gone!:confused3

So backtracking I go, until I find her in one out the shops. Oh, Baby!!!!! Aren't these wonderful?!?!?!? (Like we didn't just see them at the Resort gift shop, Mom?!?!?!)

Think if I got her the Minnie one it would work? :rotfl::rotfl:

:lmao::thumbsup2:laughing:

Incidentally she's taken to pretending she's a dog and just yesterday her sister started walking her around the house on an actual leash - she certainly wouldn't be embarrassed by a leash - she'd thinks its great that she turned into a puppy dog just like her best friend.

:rotfl: That's hilarious. Several of my children have spent plenty of time pretending to be one animal or another, but none have gone so far as to be walk around the house on the dog's leash (onlly because they didn't think of it, mind you.).

It't not safe but i've also taught my child not to run into streets. I also hold her wrist vs hand on the sidewalk. I also pick her up if we are crossing high traffic spots just in case. Leashes are not a majority because MOST people can handle their kids. There is a reason why people don't really use them. It's embarrassing for all parties. I think "Modern Family" showed well that no matter what you call it it's a leash for a child. If you keep your child engaged and if you take there lead there is no need to worry about them running off. It's parenting, no one said it would be easy. It's not for safety as much as it is for parents not to have to watch their kids.

I'm sure you mean well, but you really don't know what you are talking about. I'm pretty sure most people don't use harnesses so they don't have to watch their kids.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter