Toddler Harness-To leash or not to leash

It must be really tough to keep up with only one child, a Princess child.... Actually, with all of the fat kids out there, maybe we should all be re-thinking strapping them in a stroller all of the time.

Why do you keep insisting that people who don't use leashes keep their children strapped in a stroller all the time?

Mine hardly ever were in the stroller and never strapped.
We also didn't use a stroller at Disney past early 4 ish and then infrequently.

Why do you keep insisting that people who don't use leashes keep their children strapped in a stroller all the time?

Mine hardly ever were in the stroller and never strapped.
We also didn't use a stroller at Disney past early 4 ish and then infrequently.

Because some people are stating that, if you have a runner (fortunately, I only had one), that you can just strap that child in a stroller. There are also posters on this thread who say it is wrong to use a harness on a toddler, yet perfectly fine (in other threads) to put an 8 year old in a stroller. Just because you didn't abuse the use of a stroller doesn't mean that others don't.

Heck, the person I quoted wrote that the child should be put in a stoller.

Leashes are for pets, not children. If you can't run after your child it's time to invest in a gym membership or bootcamp or keep them in a stoller. I could never embarrass my child or myself by displaying my inability to keep up with her.

What makes you think that i can't keep up with my child or that I am out of shape? You have ONE child and from what I have gathered, she is a bright, well behaved young lady (at least according to your numerous posts). I have TWO hyperactive, non listening little boys wth one in particular that will dart away before you can blink. I assume you will have more children and you just may get that little boy that does the same thing. Then some poster can tell you to go to bootcamp when he slips his sweaty handout of yours and runs away. And besides, if I keep my boys in a stroller all the time, they will never learn. When we harness, it is a last resort and they don't have free range. They are still expected to stay close and hold hands. There is something called karma. You don't know what your next one may or may not do.

You don't know what your next one may or may not do.

No you don't, but you can say what you won't do! And I for one will not use a leash on a child and many others feel as I do. I can say that. Just like I don't believe in CIO and will never do that. There are some things you can say you won't do.

Please, no matter what, make sure that you control your child. I don't care how you do it. I just saw a little girl (2 or 3?) run out between two parked cars at the grocery store. Fortunately her mom dropped everything and caught her before the oncoming traffic got her. I shudder to think what might have happened. Parking lot traffic is crazy!

I never used harnesses/leashes/whatever with my kids because they were not runners. I cannot believe how judgemental people are about the use of such devices. First of all, who cares? I'm not going to look at anyone in any way for how they choose to keep their kids safe.

When I was about 20 (I am now 52) I read a story about a woman who's mother in law told her to put the kid on a leash. The woman would have nothing to do with it. One day the woman was stopped at a cross walk, holding her child's hand and the child wiggled out and in a split second was in the traffic and hit by a car. That child was seriously and permanently injured. I will never forget that story. Assuming the mother is still alive 30+ years later, she lives with the knowledge that her child is disabled because she was afraid of what people would think.

Let's not be so judgemental and remember that "there but for the grace of God, go the rest of us."

It must be really tough to keep up with only one child, a Princess child.... Actually, with all of the fat kids out there, maybe we should all be re-thinking strapping them in a stroller all of the time.

:scratchin no it's very easy to take care of one child and that goes back to my opinion of if you can't handle a lot kids then don't have so many! We have one because that is all the work we want to do. Leashes are degrading and down right humiliating in my opinion. As for the stoller, yes if you are in a area where it could be hazardous if they one strap them in until they are in a safe place. Then TEACH them how to act in public.

I hate leashes with a passion and would never use one, and hate seeing them on kids. And especially when I see them on kids 3 and up! (that aren't special needs)

There is a middle ground between being in the stroller and holding hands. I only held my toddlers hands for serious things like parking lots or crossing streets. At Disney or stores they walked with me or held onto the stroller or cart.
Children can be taught to stay with you, you have to be consistent and tough. They have to know you mean it every single time, no exceptions.

There can be a few special cases with special needs children but even then not all children.

You seriously think all kids behave the same way? I wish I had been smart enough to use a harness with my daughter when she was a toddler. It turns out that she has rather severe ADHD. Of course when she was a toddler, we didn't know that. No amount of "discipline" could keep her from running off impulsively, especially at a place like WDW. If even one child is saved from harm due to the use of a harness, then, I hope you would think twice about making judgements on parents who know their own children far better than you do.

agree that they have

Leashes are for pets, not children. If you can't run after your child it's time to invest in a gym membership or bootcamp or keep them in a stoller. I could never embarrass my child or myself by displaying my inability to keep up with her.

But you have no trouble coming on a message board and embarrassing yourself because of your frightful ignorance now, do you?

I worked the Main Entrance at a WDW park. At least once a week we would get a call over the radio that there was a missing child and we had to watch for that child exiting the park alone. We had children come up to us several times crying because they lost their parent. Some had lanyards with contact information in it. This is something I HIGHLY recommend. There is a company that makes a temporary tattoo with contact info the child can wear on their arm. I welcomed parents that had a "leash" on their child. Ive seen ribbon tied to child and parent's wrist. Ive seen back packs. I would prefer to see this than have to watch for a kid running under a turnstile and then the parent stuck on the other side. My niece has a monkey and she loves it. We use it when we go to the zoo. She still has her freedom to walk, but mom and dad have the piece of mind that she is not going to wander off.

Thats great! So when I barrel into you and shove you out of the way because my son is weaving and dodging the crowds, you'll be completely understanding right? :rolleyes:

:scratchin no it's very easy to take care of one child and that goes back to my opinion of if you can't handle a lot kids then don't have so many! We have one because that is all the work we want to do. Leashes are degrading and down right humiliating in my opinion. As for the stoller, yes if you are in a area where it could be hazardous if they one strap them in until they are in a safe place. Then TEACH them how to act in public.

HMMMMMM..
You do realise parents of Twins or Mulitiples do NOT get to choose wether they where going to have one or more children right:rolleyes2

I know for a fact when deciding to have another child and getting twins I certainly didnt decide to get 2 instead of 1!!!.
By the way You could have 6 children that all behaved amazing and then get just One child who is darn hard work,so theres not much sense to your point IMO.

I think that leashing a special needs child would be even worse than an average hyperactive child. I'm not a perfect parent and will make mistakes in my life but I feel very strongly that leashes are not for people, young or old, special needs or not. I treat my kids with respect and leashing a child is disrespectful! Side note, if they didn't make cute little monkey back pack, society friendly child harnesses, would you just tie a rope around the child's chest?:confused3

Yeh maybe ill stick a muzzle on him at the same time:rotfl2: may as well have the whole package.

Seriously!!! Im not sure ive ever seen a child running around with a rope around their waist:rotfl: I believe a parent should do what ever they feel is best for their child! ITS NOBODY ELSES BUISNESS. wether YOU believe in them or NOT

I would just like to remind everyone that each child and each parenting style is different. What works best for one parent/child may not work for another. People opposed to leashes are allowed to feel that way, just as those who like to use them are allowed to feel it is best for their child. There is no reason for a leash opponent to feel "sorry" for a child on a leash because that child could be perfectly content, AND the same goes for the leash users who say they feel "sorry" for the kids strapped in a stroller. Everyone needs to worry about their own kids and stop being so judgemental of others. I sincerely hope all of this judgement is not a trait being passed on to your children. Lighten up, everyone...it is Mother's Day for cryin' out loud!

I hope everyone has had a wonderful Mother's Day, whether your child is leashed, uses a stroller, walks freely by your side, strapped to your body...and any and all other ways you as parents see fit to take care of your child. All that matters is keeping kids safe the way you as their parent thinks is best. I don't understand why people are arguing and being so rude about this. Such a shame. :(

When my son was 2 and 3 we used a harness at Disney World. We did not get any dirty looks. We bought a harness from Target that looked like a plush monkey backpack. It was very cute. My son loved it, because it was like having a little stuffed animal friend with him. We actually saw several other families with the same monkey and a family with a puppy one.

I say you should use the harness and don't worry about what others think. Most people don't really care and honestly who cares if they do. It is your child who you want to be safe and not wodner off getting lost. And it is your vacation. The harness will allow you to relax and not worry so much.

Have a wonderful time !!

I have to disagree, completely.

I walk 5-6 miles per day. I'm not out of shape nor does my size 2 behind need a trip to boot camp. I can very easily keep up with my daughter, and I harness.

It's not degrading or embarrassing. It's peace of mind knowing that she's safe. A trip to MK isn't like a trip to your local amusement park. The crowds are thick, the people swarm. If my daughter was to run off she could be gone or injured within seconds even though I'd be right behind her. Within seconds she'd be swallowed by a group of strangers and let's face it, at 5'4" I just can't see over the head of that 6' man that's hindering my vision.

DD is quite well behaved and did great on our trip last month sans harness. She held hands like she was taught and didn't run off .. until mama duck and her babies came across the pathway. We weren't in a crowded section and I was able to follow right behind without her leaving my line of vision; I was able to explain within the following 60 seconds that she can't run away from Mommy. On said trip, harness vs. nonharness was a solid 50/50 split.

Despite the success on that trip, her cute Minnie Mouse "leash" will be in the suitcase come October. Sure, maybe we'll get some sideways glances but if only I had $0.01 for every time another mom, dad, or grandparent stopped to ask, "where can I buy one of those?"...

I'll take my daughter tucked into bed at night -- safe, sound, unscathed -- over a snooty comment or look. She matters to me, "perfect parents" don't.

I would have never thought I would use a leash prior to having children. My mom bought one for us when my older dd was not quite two and she got very fast when I was VERY pregnant and ran in front of a car. One of the scariest moments of my life!

Both my children would ASK for it around age 2 when we would take it on big outings. They much preferred the freedom over the stroller. We have one of the animal backpack ones and I can count on my hands how many times total it has been used between the two girls; but at the zoo/museum they wanted it over being strapped in the stroller.

I think they enjoyed the independence provided with the leash when they weren't allowed to run freely. I wouldn't use it everyday, but for certain situations it had a time and place in our family. I think you have to do what works best and makes sense for your family and not worry about what others think.

my boys are grown now.. man, I WISH they had those leashes when they were little!! I would have used them in a heartbeat!

it is not a matter of gym membership, boot camp, or inability to keep up with them.. kids can dart out in a heartbeat. when you are looking the other way for a millisecond.

any young parents who choose to use these, this my my Grandma advice you do whatever you think will make for a more pleasurable trip for your family, and help keep your family safe and together. ignore the condescending looks from those who don't agree. they don't matter at all!

Funny story. I had my son with the Monkey backpack harness. This mom stopped to chastise me at WDW about how awful it was to treat my child like a dog. While she was yelling at me her little angel ran off into a store. I kept my eye on her to make sure she was safe. When she was done yelling, I calmy looked at her and said, "I know where my child is do you know where yours is?" To which she replied, "of course, she is right next to me she does not wander, I know how to control my ............" When she looked down and frantically started calling for her. I said to her, "while you were busy being a busy body not only did I know where my son was, I knew where your daughter was too - she is in that store right there." SHe just walked off and proceeded to yell at her DD for running off and making her look bad.

Who gives a rat's hiney what other parents think of you.

The monkey one my DS even likes to wear around the house. He thinks it is his "friend".

:rotfl::rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter