Toddler-Friendly Shows/Character Meet-and-Greet Ops

EKKloppers

Fortunate Visitor
I've been to Disney at least ten times in the past 20 years with children/young adults of varying ages, but it's been a long while since I've had a 2.5-year-old toddler along (this time, my great-niece, in November), and I'm aware that much has changed and shows have been added for that age group that I'm completely unfamiliar with. I'm looking for advice on best-bets for shows and character Meet-and-Greet/FastPass options - specifically at MK and HS - to keep the little one entertained, and all things running as smoothly as possible. And, allow me to thank you, in advance, if I'm unable to do so later. I'll probably be very busy wondering and asking other questions as I transition back into planning for the younger perspective...and loving every minute of it! The Disboards community is amazing! You have my appreciative gratitude!

This is another one of those that so depends on the toddler. Some toddlers love the music and movement of the shows and will watch forever, while some get scared and overwhelmed and others simple board. At HS, playhouse disney should be a hit. My guys did not like The Car stunt show when they were little as it is very loud, smells , and it very hot. Some kids love it. My guys did like Indiana Jones but I have seen kids scared there. I think that the Little Mermaid Show is a bit scary in spots but most kids seem to love it. Im trying to think if Beauty and the Beast is still running as it has been a long tine since we saw that one but it was delightful and I don;t remember anything too scary. Not really a lot of shows at MK. The Monsters Inc show is funny and not scary but will go over the head of a toddler. AK has two great shows.....Finding Nemo and Lion King. Lion King is faster moving and more action for toddlers. Nemo is perfectly fine, but it drug a bit for my little guy when he was really young. Not really a show, but the performers at Epcot are a huge hit for most toddlers. You just pause for a few minutes and watch. One of my kids still talks about this chair stacking act we say MANY years ago. I never really skipped any shows because of young kids. It offered a bit of down time even if they were not overly trilled with the show. A pack of fruit snacks sometimes will get you through a show that a toddler might be a bit less interested it. Oh, forgot the nighttime shows: My boys both loved Fantasmic as its my favorite and we played it up. It is an amazing show BUT a bit intense and I have seen even kindergarten age kids scared. Wishes is great for everyone as long as the loud noise does not scare them. Both of my boys have been less impressed with Illuminations, though they both love Epcot. If Candle Light Possession is showing, I find the show perfectly wonderful for little ones. Others disagree, but I have always exposed my boys to all different types of things and the music and reading there are beautiful. Again, a small snack or even a quite toy here will get you through any down time at the show and allow the adults to see this beautiful show that your little one might love too.

My advice is more general because our upcoming WDW trip will be my son's first. He has been to Disneyland at age 1 and on a Disney cruise at 2. His favorite rides at Disneyland were Jungle Cruise and Small World. We were surprised that he didn't enjoy things like Pooh because the dark made him nervous. After the fact I read an article that suggested using a phone as a night light on rides, so we are ready this time if the dark is still an issue.

For shows, we sit on the aisle so we can get up and leave if my son gets bored. We tell him in advance that we will go if he asks, and he was good on the cruise about telling us rather than fussing.

Character breakfasts were a hit on both trips. The characters are good about reading small children and knowing when to keep their distance.

A stroller for naps, snacks and a willingness to be flexible are all a big help for making the trip fun.

At Hollywood Studios, I would make sure to see the Disney Junior show. Lots of fun and dancing!

If you can and she enjoys Disney Junior characters, you can try and book a meal at Hollywood & Vine to meet Jake, Doc McStuffins, Sofia the First, etc.

We liked meeting Buzz and Woody at HS as well. The queue has lots of fun photo ops too.

At Magic Kingdom, Princesses are a big deal! FP+ for Anna/Elsa and maybe even Cinderella/Rapunzel. She would probably also really enjoy Tink and Town Square Mickey!

It depends on the toddler, and how able he/she is to sit still. We took DS at 2.5 and 4, and at 2.5 there's no way he will sit through a long show like Nemo at AK (but girls are better at 2.5).
At either age character meals are the best way for them to meet and greet. At that age do not expect them to be able to wait more than 20 minutes in line, so if you are not doing a meal make sure you FP+.

Hits at both 2.5 and 4: Crystal palace and Tusker House character meals. We did not do O'hana when he was 2.5 but I am sure he would have loved it as much as he did when he was 4. He also loved the "Dream along with Mickey" show at the castle in MK, it being outside means he could run around if needed.

Hits at 4 than I am not sure would have worked at 2.5:
Nemo Musical at AK, Disney Junior show at HS, Buzz and Woody at HS. Turtle talk at Epcot (we did it 3 times!).

Also, a toddler's patience and ability to sit still is directly proportional to the amount of sleep. Mornings are always better than afternoons for toddlers at Disney IMO. Do not attempt a show or character lunch if it overlaps with usual naptime.

It really depends on the kid. My DD at 2.5 loved Small World, Dumbo, the Disney Jr. Show, Nemo Show, Lion King Show, Turtle Talk, Country Bear Jambroee, and meeting any character. My nephew at 3 could not still through Nemo or Country Bears. He was also afraid of characters. He did love the Disney Jr. show and the Tomorrowland Speedway as well as the Lights Motors Action Show.

Thanks ALL for the great recommendations, tips, and general reminders about what it's like to have a little one along after so many years! And how true it is that each experience depends on the toddler! I probably should have waited to ask because what my little guest is like now might change, rather drastically, over the next five short months. There are new developments nearly daily, it seems!...Something I've forgotten, in hindsight. They grow so quickly, and their tastes change like the wind. One day they love peas, and the next day they won't look at them...:scared:! Thanks, again!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter