Today Show Medical Expert Joseph Fair

Well, now that WI is 100% open with absolutely zero restrictions, effective immediately, consider your challenge accepted.

It was just on the news here an hour ago, that a barbershop in Kingston, NY, 90 miles north of NYC, stayed open, even through the mandated lockdown. Now, it's been found that one of the barbers is positive for COVID-19 and customers who've been there in the last 3 weeks need to get tested. :headache:

Doesn't look like NY (city or state) may be getting rid of the moniker any time soon. :headache: Even without a "challenge" from another state. Ugh!

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...citly-during-lockdown-tests-positive-n1207076

Well, now that WI is 100% open with absolutely zero restrictions, effective immediately, consider your challenge accepted.

Wow! I guess the world watches WI now. Really no restrictions?

I thought Washington was the epicenter from China, NYC from Italy.
Yes, but the cases from Italy also came from China. So the first cases in the US were in Washington. And it stayed fairly contained there for awhile. Their numbers spiked early, but never reached the critical mass they were expecting. But I'll also say the west coast was much faster in shutting things down. I do think those 3 days where CA shut down, but NYC was encouraging people to continue to go out really hurt NYC. Would they still have been hit hard? Of course. But I think it could have looked different.

And I only know so much about WA because I flew up there for a meeting 2 days after that first confirmed case and we had a discussion about what it might mean. I can promise you none of us could predict anything like this. It's a little eerie now to think back on that weekend.

Wow! I guess the world watches WI now. Really no restrictions?

Yes, but the cases from Italy also came from China. So the first cases in the US were in Washington. And it stayed fairly contained there for awhile. Their numbers spiked early, but never reached the critical mass they were expecting. But I'll also say the west coast was much faster in shutting things down. I do think those 3 days where CA shut down, but NYC was encouraging people to continue to go out really hurt NYC. Would they still have been hit hard? Of course. But I think it could have looked different.

And I only know so much about WA because I flew up there for a meeting 2 days after that first confirmed case and we had a discussion about what it might mean. I can promise you none of us could predict anything like this. It's a little eerie now to think back on that weekend.
Nope. Absolute lunacy.

Nope. Absolute lunacy.

I know they're two very different states, but I can't even imagine a world where everything is open when I can't "legally" see my mom or go to the beach (which is 20 mins and in my own county). Crazy!

Actually, for intubations, I saw a local news report that they did ask patients if they want to be intubated. (FACTS: 80% of COVID-19 patients intubated do NOT recover. The longer one is intubated, the less likely one will recover.)

This new protocol was accidentally discovered by a doctor in one of the NYC hospitals during the apex. I forget the exact reason why they happened to flip a patient over on his stomach. They might have been waiting for a ventilator. The doctor then found out the patient was breathing easier as he upped his oxygen. He found it worked almost instantly better than intubating the patient! He ran and told other doctors on the COVID floor. They also tried it and it worked. This became the new protocol as they spread the news to other hospitals to try it. It has saved many, many more lives than being placed on a ventilator.

Because of this, NYC no longer needed as many ventilators as was feared, and we were able to get rid of our excess to other states who were still in short supply. :thumbsup2
:confused3 :confused3:confused3:confused3:confused3:confused3:confused3

I HAVE given doctors the credit it took to save these people's lives.

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Yes, but it wasn't a protocol used for COVID-19 in NYC and possibly the rest of the U.S. This was on the news in a filmed interview by the DOCTOR who initially tried it and then told the other doctors on his floor and they eventually told other doctors in other hospitals to try it. <-- WHERE IN THAT STATEMENT AM I NOT GIVING THE DOCTORS THEIR DUE CREDIT??? If this doctor knew to try that approach because he knew it already and he knew they were doing it in China, then YES, he gets credit for knowing it and trying it. I DID say I don't remember why he decided to flip over the patient. So, I don't remember if HE did or didn't mention that in his interview. Which is on him. I am repeating what I saw him say firsthand. (An interview which is crediting a doctor.) Only that they weren't doing it in NYC until then. Ventilators were the standard approach in NYC, until it was tried at that hospital and they found it worked better than ventilators.

I usually try to annotate or footnote any and all info I read, watch or am given, so others can track and read the source for themselves. Or I CAN give it later if asked, if I didn't provide it. The interview with the NYC doctor can be Googled and found on abc7ny.com as well as the other local NYC news stations. The one with the boy, and again his and his father's first hand accounts FILMED out of their own mouths, can be found on ABC World News. Google it. Go for it.

I don't expect people to just believe things because "I saw it firsthand." Nor do I expect others to. Not everything people read by others on the Internet is true.
Again, you skipped the part where I said: it wasn't a protocol used for COVID-19 in NYC and possibly the rest of the U.S. [as we were/are the epicenter and getting the majority of the cases first.] This was according to the "firsthand account" of the doctor being interviewed. IF he did or didn't credit other sources, that's on him.

:bored:
In the medical world, ideas are shared from all over the world. Not everything can or should be replicated place to place. So although this person you speak of may have done that there, the idea for such a protocol is well known in the medical community worldwide for ARDS, as I said. It's studied in medical school when they get to the ARDS part. That's all I'm trying to say. I am taking care of proned patients and we've been doing it since the beginning of this, too. And many people do come off ventilators and go on to recovery, as well. You have to take some of the numbers and other things with a grain of salt as who knows where they are getting data from. Things are chaotic right now.

Imzadi, I get that that was what you saw and what the doctor said in the interview. But, Pea is correct that this is not a new technique and is used in acute respiratory distress. It is often used in conjunction with ventilator use. My cousin who passed from Covid in March in rural Indiana was on a vent and prone in an attempt to save his life. My husband's boss who survived Covid was also intubated and pronated in March in our small critical access hospital in Indiana.

As for the original post, that patient/interviewee "may" have had covid, I don't think we know enough to say positively one way or the other. But, on the subject of supplemental oxygen and ventilation. You can only increase oxygen so much via a nasal cannula or mask. And for the worst cases of Covid, people wouldn't survive without a ventilator.
Also, hospitals routinely (long before covid, shoot even for patients who are going to have surgery) ask patients their wishes about ventilator use long before they "need" it. It's part of admissions to determine a patient's wishes, if they have a crisis and are unable to breath for themselves. So, he it's quite likely was asked about his wishes when he was still stable, as early as admission, whether he would allow ventilator use if needed to save his life. Just because they asked, doesn't mean they thought he 'needed' it in that moment.

The only reason why he looked like he "clearly" had it was because he: was in a hospital bed, dressed in a gown and had oxygen. I personally thought he otherwise looked very much like a healthy person not like a "clearly" ill one. I just didn't understand the whole point of the interview. It was odd.
Agree. As a RN, my assessment of him was that he needed to go home with oxygen. He looked good- color good, speaking easily with no apparent shortness of breath, didn’t seem to fatigue easily during the interview- he was in a bed that likely should go to someone else. And four negative tests to me says negative.

This is not accurate. 13 of 72 counties have set up their own rules. I like in Dane County and we're not open.
The majority of those counties dropped them yesterday. Dane is one of the few that didn't cave.

In the medical world, ideas are shared from all over the world. Not everything can or should be replicated place to place. So although this person you speak of may have done that there, the idea for such a protocol is well known in the medical community worldwide for ARDS, as I said. It's studied in medical school when they get to the ARDS part. That's all I'm trying to say. I am taking care of proned patients and we've been doing it since the beginning of this, too. And many people do come off ventilators and go on to recovery, as well. You have to take some of the numbers and other things with a grain of salt as who knows where they are getting data from. Things are chaotic right now.
Imzadi, I get that that was what you saw and what the doctor said in the interview. But, Pea is correct that this is not a new technique and is used in acute respiratory distress. It is often used in conjunction with ventilator use. My cousin who passed from Covid in March in rural Indiana was on a vent and prone in an attempt to save his life. My husband's boss who survived Covid was also intubated and pronated in March in our small critical access hospital in Indiana.

As for the original post, that patient/interviewee "may" have had covid, I don't think we know enough to say positively one way or the other. But, on the subject of supplemental oxygen and ventilation. You can only increase oxygen so much via a nasal cannula or mask. And for the worst cases of Covid, people wouldn't survive without a ventilator.
Also, hospitals routinely (long before covid, shoot even for patients who are going to have surgery) ask patients their wishes about ventilator use long before they "need" it. It's part of admissions to determine a patient's wishes, if they have a crisis and are unable to breath for themselves. So, he it's quite likely was asked about his wishes when he was still stable, as early as admission, whether he would allow ventilator use if needed to save his life. Just because they asked, doesn't mean they thought he 'needed' it in that moment.

Indimom, first of all, I'm sorry for your loss. :(

Second, you are misunderstanding what I said, too, :( so it's obviously something in what I communicated that is off. :headache: I didn't say, or meant to infer that proning was a new technique, or that this doctor I watched, had said he invented the technique. I *think* I get now that you and Pea-n-me are saying this is such a common technique, that of course, it would have been used and been thought of to use.

But, actually when the Coronavirus hit the U.S., about 10 weeks ago, proning was not a technique that was being done on COVID patients. When they started doing it, that's the "new" part. Not that the technique itself is new. I think that point is where we are off in our communications.

I couldn't find the video I saw, but Googling with some of the search terms you and Pea-n-Me used in your posts, :thumbsup2 I finally found, what I think is a better video which explains what I am talking about.

This video shows firsthand interviews, Pea-n-me, a criteria said to be on the look out for, :thumbsup2 by some of the actual COVID doctors, who are all named, and where they work. The interviews are unfortunately spliced together. But, put together by The New York Times. It's by an organization I believe in. For those that may be suspicious of the news put out by the Times and think these could all just be actors, I have included other more neutral links which mention the same thing. No charts are included which could be created for an agenda. Note the dates on all the articles. They appear, starting in April, after only a few weeks of proning.

The video (below) appears in conjunction with an article written by the NY Times titled: What Doctors on the Front Lines Wish They’d Known a Month Ago.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/14/nyregion/new-york-coronavirus.html

Also reposted here (no video) for people who can't reach the NYTimes site, due to subscription problems:
https://rickhodes.org/covid19/3

Snipped excerpts from article: (Bolding mine.)
(Published April 14, 2020)
"Doctors say the coronavirus is challenging core tenets of medicine, leading some to abandon long-established ventilator protocols for certain patients. But other doctors warn this could be dangerous.​
Just about a month ago, people stricken with the new coronavirus started to arrive in unending ranks at hospitals in the New York metropolitan area, forming the white-hot center of the pandemic in the United States.​
Now, doctors in the region have started sharing on medical grapevines what it has been like to re-engineer, on the fly, their health care systems, their practice of medicine, their personal lives.​
Doctors, if you could go back in time, what would you tell yourselves in early March?​

“What we thought we knew, we don’t know,” said Dr. Nile Cemalovic, an intensive care physician at Lincoln Medical Center in the Bronx. [...]​
The biggest change: Instead of quickly sedating people who had shockingly low levels of oxygen and then putting them on mechanical ventilators, many doctors are now keeping patients conscious, having them roll over in bed, recline in chairs and continue to breathe on their own — with additional oxygen — for as long as possible.
The idea is to get them off their backs and thereby make more lung available. A number of doctors are even trying patients on a special massage mattress designed for pregnant women because it has cutouts that ease the load on the belly and chest. [...]​
At Lincoln Hospital in the Bronx, Dr. Nicholas Caputo followed 50 patients who arrived with low oxygen levels between 69 and 85 percent (95 is normal). After five minutes of proning, they had improved to a mean of 94 percent. Over the next 24 hours, nearly three-quarters were able to avoid intubation; 13 needed ventilators. Proning does not seem to work as well in older patients, a number of doctors said.​
No one knows yet if this will be a lasting remedy, Dr. Caputo said, but if he could go back to early March, he would advise himself and others: “Don’t jump to intubation.”
The total number of people who are intubated is now increasing by 21 per day, down from about 300 at the end of March. The need for mechanical ventilators, while still urgent, has been less than the medical community anticipated a month ago.

Accompanying video of doctors:
(The 2:00 min mark shows a Dr. talking about the dilemma of ventilators.)

From NYU Langone Medical Center:
https://nyulangone.org/news/why-some-patients-covid-19-are-placed-their-stomachs
(April 16, 2020)

"[one simple option has emerged as one of the best ways to help the patients struggling against the respiratory virus to breathe — placing them on their stomachs, called pronation.]​
“We have been using pronation for the past weeks and we have seen improvement in patients’ blood levels of oxygen,” Dr. Jorge Mercado, associate section chief of pulmonary, critical care and sleep medicine at NYU Langone Hospital–Brooklyn, tells PEOPLE, adding that it has worked both with patients who are on ventilators and those without them. [...]"​

The Miami Herald:
https://www.miamiherald.com/news/coronavirus/article242012816.html
(April 15, 2020)

"Dr. David Farcy [not to be confused with Dr. Fauci] was in the midst of a discussion about treatment with a severely ill COVID-19 patient at Mount Sinai Medical Center in Miami Beach when he realized something unusual. [...]​
Six weeks ago, Farcy said he or any other emergency medicine doctor in the country would have rushed to intubate the patient, putting him on a ventilator that would breathe for him in the hope that he would be able to recover from the illness caused by the novel coronavirus. But in recent weeks, propelled by online discussion in the medical community and a letter by a highly influential critical care doctor, some emergency medicine physicians have started rethinking the traditional way of treating acute respiratory distress syndrome, or ARDS., which can occur in severe cases of COVID-19.
Instead of automatically putting patients on ventilators, doctors are sometimes trying a method of helping patients breathe that involves placing them on their sides or bellies, and administering oxygen.​
And though some prominent doctors have remained skeptical about the approach, saying there isn’t enough evidence that it works, others are trying it.
In the case of his recent patient, Farcy decided to see if the new approach would help. He told the patient to lie on his side while receiving oxygen, a posture that changes the way air and blood flows through the lungs. And the patient improved. His blood oxygen — the amount of oxygen present in the bloodstream, an important indicator of health — rose.​
“This disease is not something we’ve ever seen, and not just as in, this is a new, novel disease, but this disease has challenged medical theories that I’ve been lecturing [about] for years,” Farcy said. “Until I saw it with my own eyes, I could not believe what I was seeing." [...]​
“[A letter written by an Italian anesthesiologist named Luciano Gattinoni, relayed findings from researchers in Germany and Italy] said we’re doing this wrong,” Scott said. “We should not be intubating everyone like China. We’re looking at a complicated disease that has two different presentations.”​

The Associated Press:
https://apnews.com/8ccd325c2be9bf454c2128dcb7bd616d
(April 8, 2020)

"NEW YORK (AP) — As health officials around the world push to get more ventilators to treat coronavirus patients, some doctors are moving away from using the breathing machines when they can.​
The reason: Some hospitals have reported unusually high death rates for coronavirus patients on ventilators, and some doctors worry that the machines could be harming certain patients.​
The evolving treatments highlight the fact that doctors are still learning the best way to manage a virus that emerged only months ago. They are relying on anecdotal, real-time data amid a crush of patients and shortages of basic supplies.​
Mechanical ventilators push oxygen into patients whose lungs are failing. Using the machines involves sedating a patient and sticking a tube into the throat. Deaths in such sick patients are common, no matter the reason they need the breathing help. [...]​
Generally speaking, 40% to 50% of patients with severe respiratory distress die while on ventilators, experts say. But 80% or more of coronavirus patients placed on the machines in New York City have died, state and city officials say.
Higher-than-normal death rates also have been reported elsewhere in the U.S., said Dr. Albert Rizzo, the American Lung Association’s chief medical officer.​
Similar reports have emerged from China and the United Kingdom. One U.K. report put the figure at 66%. A very small study in Wuhan, the Chinese city where the disease first emerged, said 86% died.
The reason is not clear. It may have to do with what kind of shape the patients were in before they were infected. Or it could be related to how sick they had become by the time they were put on the machines, some experts said."​

Indimom, first of all, I'm sorry for your loss. :(

Second, you are misunderstanding what I said, too, :( so it's obviously something in what I communicated that is off. :headache: I didn't say, or meant to infer that proning was a new technique, or that this doctor I watched, had said he invented the technique. I *think* I get now that you and Pea-n-me are saying this is such a common technique, that of course, it would have been used and been thought of to use.

But, actually when the Coronavirus hit the U.S., about 10 weeks ago, proning was not a technique that was being done on COVID patients. When they started doing it, that's the "new" part. Not that the technique itself is new. I think that point is where we are off in our communications.

I couldn't find the video I saw, but Googling with some of the search terms you and Pea-n-Me used in your posts, :thumbsup2 I finally found, what I think is a better video which explains what I am talking about.

This video shows firsthand interviews, Pea-n-me, a criteria said to be on the look out for, :thumbsup2 by some of the actual COVID doctors, who are all named, and where they work. The interviews are unfortunately spliced together. But, put together by The New York Times. It's by an organization I believe in. For those that may be suspicious of the news put out by the Times and think these could all just be actors, I have included other more neutral links which mention the same thing. No charts are included which could be created for an agenda. Note the dates on all the articles. They appear, starting in April, after only a few weeks of proning.

The video (below) appears in conjunction with an article written by the NY Times titled: What Doctors on the Front Lines Wish They’d Known a Month Ago.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/14/nyregion/new-york-coronavirus.html

Also reposted here (no video) for people who can't reach the NYTimes site, due to subscription problems:
https://rickhodes.org/covid19/3

Snipped excerpts from article: (Bolding mine.)
(Published April 14, 2020)
"Doctors say the coronavirus is challenging core tenets of medicine, leading some to abandon long-established ventilator protocols for certain patients. But other doctors warn this could be dangerous.​
Just about a month ago, people stricken with the new coronavirus started to arrive in unending ranks at hospitals in the New York metropolitan area, forming the white-hot center of the pandemic in the United States.​
Now, doctors in the region have started sharing on medical grapevines what it has been like to re-engineer, on the fly, their health care systems, their practice of medicine, their personal lives.​
Doctors, if you could go back in time, what would you tell yourselves in early March?​

“What we thought we knew, we don’t know,” said Dr. Nile Cemalovic, an intensive care physician at Lincoln Medical Center in the Bronx. [...]​
The biggest change: Instead of quickly sedating people who had shockingly low levels of oxygen and then putting them on mechanical ventilators, many doctors are now keeping patients conscious, having them roll over in bed, recline in chairs and continue to breathe on their own — with additional oxygen — for as long as possible.
The idea is to get them off their backs and thereby make more lung available. A number of doctors are even trying patients on a special massage mattress designed for pregnant women because it has cutouts that ease the load on the belly and chest. [...]​
At Lincoln Hospital in the Bronx, Dr. Nicholas Caputo followed 50 patients who arrived with low oxygen levels between 69 and 85 percent (95 is normal). After five minutes of proning, they had improved to a mean of 94 percent. Over the next 24 hours, nearly three-quarters were able to avoid intubation; 13 needed ventilators. Proning does not seem to work as well in older patients, a number of doctors said.​
No one knows yet if this will be a lasting remedy, Dr. Caputo said, but if he could go back to early March, he would advise himself and others: “Don’t jump to intubation.”
The total number of people who are intubated is now increasing by 21 per day, down from about 300 at the end of March. The need for mechanical ventilators, while still urgent, has been less than the medical community anticipated a month ago.

Accompanying video of doctors:
(The 2:00 min mark shows a Dr. talking about the dilemma of ventilators.)

From NYU Langone Medical Center:
https://nyulangone.org/news/why-some-patients-covid-19-are-placed-their-stomachs
(April 16, 2020)

"[one simple option has emerged as one of the best ways to help the patients struggling against the respiratory virus to breathe — placing them on their stomachs, called pronation.]​
“We have been using pronation for the past weeks and we have seen improvement in patients’ blood levels of oxygen,” Dr. Jorge Mercado, associate section chief of pulmonary, critical care and sleep medicine at NYU Langone Hospital–Brooklyn, tells PEOPLE, adding that it has worked both with patients who are on ventilators and those without them. [...]"​

The Miami Herald:
https://www.miamiherald.com/news/coronavirus/article242012816.html
(April 15, 2020)

"Dr. David Farcy [not to be confused with Dr. Fauci] was in the midst of a discussion about treatment with a severely ill COVID-19 patient at Mount Sinai Medical Center in Miami Beach when he realized something unusual. [...]​
Six weeks ago, Farcy said he or any other emergency medicine doctor in the country would have rushed to intubate the patient, putting him on a ventilator that would breathe for him in the hope that he would be able to recover from the illness caused by the novel coronavirus. But in recent weeks, propelled by online discussion in the medical community and a letter by a highly influential critical care doctor, some emergency medicine physicians have started rethinking the traditional way of treating acute respiratory distress syndrome, or ARDS., which can occur in severe cases of COVID-19.
Instead of automatically putting patients on ventilators, doctors are sometimes trying a method of helping patients breathe that involves placing them on their sides or bellies, and administering oxygen.​
And though some prominent doctors have remained skeptical about the approach, saying there isn’t enough evidence that it works, others are trying it.
In the case of his recent patient, Farcy decided to see if the new approach would help. He told the patient to lie on his side while receiving oxygen, a posture that changes the way air and blood flows through the lungs. And the patient improved. His blood oxygen — the amount of oxygen present in the bloodstream, an important indicator of health — rose.​
“This disease is not something we’ve ever seen, and not just as in, this is a new, novel disease, but this disease has challenged medical theories that I’ve been lecturing [about] for years,” Farcy said. “Until I saw it with my own eyes, I could not believe what I was seeing." [...]​
“[A letter written by an Italian anesthesiologist named Luciano Gattinoni, relayed findings from researchers in Germany and Italy] said we’re doing this wrong,” Scott said. “We should not be intubating everyone like China. We’re looking at a complicated disease that has two different presentations.”​

The Associated Press:
https://apnews.com/8ccd325c2be9bf454c2128dcb7bd616d
(April 8, 2020)

"NEW YORK (AP) — As health officials around the world push to get more ventilators to treat coronavirus patients, some doctors are moving away from using the breathing machines when they can.​
The reason: Some hospitals have reported unusually high death rates for coronavirus patients on ventilators, and some doctors worry that the machines could be harming certain patients.​
The evolving treatments highlight the fact that doctors are still learning the best way to manage a virus that emerged only months ago. They are relying on anecdotal, real-time data amid a crush of patients and shortages of basic supplies.​
Mechanical ventilators push oxygen into patients whose lungs are failing. Using the machines involves sedating a patient and sticking a tube into the throat. Deaths in such sick patients are common, no matter the reason they need the breathing help. [...]​
Generally speaking, 40% to 50% of patients with severe respiratory distress die while on ventilators, experts say. But 80% or more of coronavirus patients placed on the machines in New York City have died, state and city officials say.
Higher-than-normal death rates also have been reported elsewhere in the U.S., said Dr. Albert Rizzo, the American Lung Association’s chief medical officer.​
Similar reports have emerged from China and the United Kingdom. One U.K. report put the figure at 66%. A very small study in Wuhan, the Chinese city where the disease first emerged, said 86% died.
The reason is not clear. It may have to do with what kind of shape the patients were in before they were infected. Or it could be related to how sick they had become by the time they were put on the machines, some experts said."​
@Imzadi I appreciate what you are trying to say, it just differs from my understanding.

This was from a few days ago:

https://www.bidmc.org/about-bidmc/news/2020/05/ventilation

Study Confirms Critically Ill Patients with COVID-19 Benefit from Mechanical Ventilation
BIDMC Staff

MAY 13, 2020
Researchers help settle debate based on clinical anecdotes

BOSTON—Many patients with COVID-19 who are admitted to the intensive care unit (ICU) require support from a ventilator due to respiratory failure. Physicians around the world have observed that patients with COVID-19 may develop a severe lung condition known as acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS), a consequence of pulmonary infections and other illnesses. Decades of studies have established the best methods of mechanical ventilation to treat ARDS. However, recent anecdotal reports from some clinicians raised the question of whether COVID-19 related respiratory distress is ARDS or a new, unknown lung injury that warrants a different treatment strategy.

To help settle the question, pulmonary and critical care specialists at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center (BIDMC) and Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH) studied the respiratory characteristics and response of patients with COVID-19 respiratory failure treated with invasive mechanical ventilation at the two tertiary care hospitals. The team’s results, published in the American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, supported the use of established respiratory therapy for treatment of COVID-19.
“We provided all of our patients with the best known evidence-based treatments for ARDS, and patients had improved oxygen levels, decreased need for breathing assistance, and ultimately most were able to come off of the ventilator,”
said BIDMC pulmonary specialist Ari Moskowitz, MD, also an Assistant Professor of Medicine at Harvard Medical School.

Moskowitiz and colleagues, including Jason H. Maley, MD and Camille R. Petri, MD, both clinical and research fellows in the Harvard Combined Pulmonary and Critical Care Fellowship, studied a total of 66 adult inpatients with laboratory-confirmed COVID- 19 who were intubated and admitted to ICUs at BIDMC and MGH. All patients were managed with the best established ARDS therapies.

Patient follow-up a minimum of 30 days after admission revealed that the majority (75 percent) of patients were successfully extubated and discharged from the ICU. Overall, eleven patients (16.7 percent) died. Previous data from COVID-19 related ICU admissions in the United States report mortality rates ranging from 25 to 50 percent. The authors emphasized that successful outcomes at the two hospitals are likely a result of providing evidence-based therapies and maintaining a focus on high quality critical care. Both of these factors depend on a large team of expert nurses, respiratory therapists, physicians, and many other critical staff members.

During hospitalization, patients’ oxygenation improved with prone, or face down, positioning — part of the gold standard treatment for ARDS that has been shown to improve oxygen levels in the lungs of patients with typical ARDS. Moreover, the team’s data characterizing patient lung characteristics contradict prior anecdotes that COVID-19 respiratory failure differs from typical ARDS.

“By performing this study, we now have a better understanding of the respiratory failure caused by severe COVID-19,” said Maley. “Our study suggests that proven treatment strategies for ARDS are safe and effective for patients with severe COVID-19. We hope these findings will help clinicians who are treating patients with severe COVID-19 around the world.”

Imzadi said:
when the Coronavirus hit the U.S., about 10 weeks ago, proning was not a technique that was being done on COVID patients. When they started doing it, that's the "new" part. Not that the technique itself is new. I think that point is where we are off in our communications.
We were doing it here too in March, again because it is standard treatment with ARDS.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ny...ealth/coronavirus-patient-ventilator.amp.html

I thought Washington State was initially the epicenter and therefore getting the majority of the cases first?
Google shows about 9 pages for "New York City Coronavirus epicenter", but I believe I linked to ones that were NOT local to NYC, but national or international news sites:

https://www.reuters.com/news/picture/inside-new-york-city-epicenter-of-us-cor-idUSRTS37GAA

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/26/us/new-york-coronavirus-explainer/index.html

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/new-york-becomes-epicenter-of-coronavirus-in-the-united-states/

https://www.wsj.com/articles/new-yo...-as-u-s-epicenter-for-coronavirus-11584983498

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/coron...on-returns-work-recovery-uk/story?id=70358599

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-...more-coronavirus-cases-than-any-other-country

https://www.foxnews.com/health/coronavirus-deaths-in-the-us-top-3000

https://www.npr.org/2020/03/21/8195...-as-new-york-city-becomes-u-s-virus-epicenter

https://www.businessinsider.com/new-york-city-coronavirus-cases-over-time-chart-2020-3

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/would-you-risk-your-life

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...ork-city-preview-us-united-states/2931094001/

https://news.yahoo.com/the-mistakes...er-of-the-coronavirus-epidemic-090040375.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...oronavirus-us-is-this-due-density-or-testing/

https://www.usnews.com/news/politic...ghts-the-love-hate-relationship-with-new-york

https://www.newsweek.com/new-york-city-coronavirus-update-cases-10k

https://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-new...-epicenter-speak-out-about-crisis-81254981644

https://www.republicworld.com/world...-new-epicenter-of-coronavirus-in-the-usa.html

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/coronavirus-new-york-ground-zero

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/03...aling-coronavirus-outbreak-could-affect-mass/

https://deadline.com/2020/04/new-yo...back-to-action-covid-19-epicenter-1202919097/

https://www.baltimoresun.com/corona...0200410-mktotr4gd5ftzmklhhc4iq4eem-story.html

https://www.barrons.com/articles/ne...aths-top-1-000-the-latest-numbers-51585745276

https://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/i...rk-coronavirus-epicentre-200331072157721.html

https://fox2now.com/news/illinois-n...of-working-in-americas-coronavirus-epicenter/

https://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/watch/natl-guard-deploying-to-nyc-area-coronavirus-epicenter-80427589939

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/l...irus-battered-new-york/ar-BB146NpU?li=BBnb7Kz

https://www.thetelegraph.com/reales...urprisingly-Hit-New-Highs-During-15270279.php

Enough for you? I can post more. . .
Yes. Washington was the start. And CA, soon after had some cases. NYC is the epicenter now. But, I unfortunately think the "epicenter" will move. As in, if this national reopening has disastrous results, a different region/city may be considered the "new epicenter." Or that might happen if the U.S. gets a second wave in the fall as Dr. Fauci predicts. :(

I believe if you will read my comment again you might notice it includes the word initially, which indicates that it was the start. No idea why there was the need for you to respond to me with all the links, or to ask if that was enough for me?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter