• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Today Show expose on GAC abuse at Disney

I had been following a thread on the theme parks board that got deleted but someone there posted Universal Studios policy and it makes so much more sense than what Disney is doing. It bears repeating. At Universal when a guest has a GAC type card where people claim a disability that will not let them wait in line, the ride attendant stamps the pass with a return time equal to the length of the current wait. The disabled party is able to leave and come back for loading onto the ride at the designated time. This system would take away the incentive to abuse the current system and seems simple enough to implement.

Also it is worth noting that this abuse is not taking place with those with mobility issues. WDW addressed that abuse by making lines work for mobility devices. I think they cn do something with this other type of abuse.

I think this is an improvement over the current system but I can see ways that it could be abuse as well. 1) Fake a need and get your gac 2)go to a ride with super long wait that either has no FP, FP time hours in the future or all FPS are gone for the day 3) get return time ticket 4) go and ride 2 or 3 other lower wait rides while waiting for your return time.

I think a better solution would be to provide short range buzzers and a waiting area (like Dumbo) to those that cannot wait in line. You still have to wait, just not in a crowded line.

What a great idea! I love it!!
jrmasm said:
I think this is an improvement over the current system but I can see ways that it could be abuse as well. 1) Fake a need and get your gac 2)go to a ride with super long wait that either has no FP, FP time hours in the future or all FPS are gone for the day 3) get return time ticket 4) go and ride 2 or 3 other lower wait rides while waiting for your return time.

I think a better solution would be to provide short range buzzers and a waiting area (like Dumbo) to those that cannot wait in line. You still have to wait, just not in a crowded line.

I saw the investigation on the today show. That woman has a bad back and bad knees...and she gets a GAC? Heck, I have a bad back and knees too! I think disney needs to revamp the system. Maybe only allow the disabled person to bring in one person....those two can wait for the rest of the party to go thru the reg line if they wish.

I am quite shocked to hear about its use for ADHD, anxiety, incontinence, dislike of crowds and so forth.

Until you have or know someone who has one of those disabilities!!

I'm quite shocked that there is still belief that ADHD is just "bad parenting" though so it doesn't surprise me.

I posted on another thread that was deleted that I would have NO issues getting a note from my DD doctor for a GAC. My daughter is diagnosed ASD/SPD/OCD/ADHD and while she looks as normal as can be ... she definitely has a disability.

we are local AP holders for a few years, until recently I never knew about the GAC and there were times when we would go to a park with her only to have to leave a few hours later without riding any rides because of her disabilities. With the GAC, we have been afforded the ABILITY to enjoy the parks just as much as someone without a DISABILITY. Should my DD not be allowed to enjoy her time in the parks as much as the next child just because she doesn't have a visible handicap? or just because she isn't debilitated? I think not.

What a great idea! I love it!!

I saw the investigation on the today show. That woman has a bad back and bad knees...and she gets a GAC? Heck, I have a bad back and knees too! I think disney needs to revamp the system. Maybe only allow the disabled person to bring in one person....those two can wait for the rest of the party to go thru the reg line if they wish.

Can't do that either, let's say as a family we go to WDW and there are 4 of us ... so your saying that now I have to split up my family because of the disability?

I think the ONLY way to circumvent the issue is to ask for proof of need. Those in need should have no issues providing the proof and those NOT in need would be deterred from abusing the system.

Compassion? Why should we and especially children have to wait a long time even if it is there turn because of EVCs?
An EVC uses three spots in a bus. Than the EVSC user and his companions, mostly six get FOLT access. So ONE party takes up nine spots and a bus can load three EVC.

so why should my kids have to wait longer, plain and simple if your not there when the bus pulls up wait your turn like the rest of us did

so why should my kids have to wait longer, plain and simple if your not there when the bus pulls up wait your turn like the rest of us did

No, sorry, that's not Disney policy. Disney policy is to load ECV riders on the first bus they can get on.

I'm quite shocked that there is still belief that ADHD is just "bad parenting" though so it doesn't surprise me.

I posted on another thread that was deleted that I would have NO issues getting a note from my DD doctor for a GAC. My daughter is diagnosed ASD/SPD/OCD/ADHD and while she looks as normal as can be ... she definitely has a disability.

we are local AP holders for a few years, until recently I never knew about the GAC and there were times when we would go to a park with her only to have to leave a few hours later without riding any rides because of her disabilities. With the GAC, we have been afforded the ABILITY to enjoy the parks just as much as someone without a DISABILITY. Should my DD not be allowed to enjoy her time in the parks as much as the next child just because she doesn't have a visible handicap? or just because she isn't debilitated? I think not.

Can't do that either, let's say as a family we go to WDW and there are 4 of us ... so your saying that now I have to split up my family because of the disability? I think the ONLY way to circumvent the issue is to ask for proof of need. Those in need should have no issues providing the proof and those NOT in need would be deterred from abusing the system.

Which is exactly why I suggest a buzzer. Your party waits together.

Asking for proof doesn't do anything to stop the 'tour guides' that inspired the story on the Today Show if they have a disability but if you still have to wait like everyone else, they're out of business.

JeRmS said:

Can't do that either, let's say as a family we go to WDW and there are 4 of us ... so your saying that now I have to split up my family because of the disability?

I think the ONLY way to circumvent the issue is to ask for proof of need. Those in need should have no issues providing the proof and those NOT in need would be deterred from abusing the system.

So let me ask you, if Disney decided to get rid of the program (which I know they will not do, just playing devils advocate) what would you do?

The only people who I even thought were eligible for FOL were Make A Wish children. I thought it was reserved for those with a life shortening disease. I have no problem with these poor children getting special treatment and upset that others are using a system designed for them to get priviledges for lesser needs. And i am even more upset these other people may end up making it harder for a dying child. How could you even enter a FOL area ahead of one of these families is beyond me. I am quite shocked to hear about its use for ADHD, anxiety, incontinence, dislike of crowds and so forth.

My niece went on a Make a Wish trip. It was well after her cancer treatment had finished. She was and still is cancer free.

Kids on wish trips are not necessarily terminally ill. At the time of her trip, her life was not threatened at all.

So let me ask you, if Disney decided to get rid of the program (which I know they will not do, just playing devils advocate) what would you do?

go back to doing what we did before ... go to the park, enjoy what we can when we can and leave if need be.

simple enough!

Why?

Why shouldn't they have to wait like everyone else?

Not everyone who isn't in an ECV has infinite energy and ability to stand or walk.

Because it’s not about who should or shouldn’t wait, it’s about Disney using their resources to the best ability.

The only people who I even thought were eligible for FOL were Make A Wish children. I thought it was reserved for those with a life shortening disease. I have no problem with these poor children getting special treatment and upset that others are using a system designed for them to get priviledges for lesser needs. And i am even more upset these other people may end up making it harder for a dying child. How could you even enter a FOL area ahead of one of these families is beyond me. I am quite shocked to hear about its use for ADHD, anxiety, incontinence, dislike of crowds and so forth.

I completely agree with you. I didn't think it was that easy to get FOTL privileges. For that matter, I didn't think it was that easy to get a GAC.

People will abuse systems. Apparently, Disney needs to rethink the system they have in place..

I think you're getting a bit worked up over someones opinion, though I understand that everyone seems to get super defensive when they have an opinion that does not match their own on this issue.

I don't think the poster is saying that ADHD is an excuse for "bad parenting" but I can't seem to find that posters full post, but I do wonder why someone with just ADHD would need a GAC? I mean, I get it they are impulsive sometimes and have a short attention span and get irritated with waits but really, it's a good teaching moment. (Before people jump down my throat, I have ADHD, and other issues. So I get it.)

I think some of the things people use to get the GAC for aren't necessary, I truly do think some children need the GAC, and I also understand that each child is different but I can't help but think sometimes people just want to get it to say that they can. No one is saying your child can't get to enjoy the parks just like typical children, your daughter certainly can. It's just there are people who aren't like you or your child that are abusing the system.

--

About the ECV issue, since I can't multi-quote.

I am pretty sure that if a group of people are in line for the bus before the ECV comes up and a bus bulls up.. that the people should be able to fill in the bus first. It's supposed to be equal, but having the ECV go in and take up seats is not equal when the person didn't wait at all. Also, there are quite a few people who are not in wheelchairs or ECVs that have health issues as well, just because they aren't in a chair doesn't make their needs any less important.

thehowells said:

Would be nice wouldnt it?

I am pretty sure that if a group of people are in line for the bus before the ECV comes up and a bus bulls up.. that the people should be able to fill in the bus first. It's supposed to be equal, but having the ECV go in and take up seats is not equal when the person didn't wait at all. Also, there are quite a few people who are not in wheelchairs or ECVs that have health issues as well, just because they aren't in a chair doesn't make their needs any less important.

I KNOW this isn't the same thing, but I was trying to think how NY City buses handle ECV's. Most (not all) of our buses are equipped to handle ECV riders. The buses have fold up seats and if the seats are occupied when an ECV rider gets on, the people in those seats must give up their seats. You can either move to another seat or stand.

I have no idea if this would work at WDW because I don't know if you are allowed to stand on the buses. However, if they do allow people to stand, why can't ECV's be mainstreamed into the main waiting line? Or, if the bus is full (or there aren't enough seats to accomodate the riders already on the bus in the event they need to move), why can't the ECV wait for the next bus?

I know the answer is "Because that's not the policy". But why can't the policy be changed?

I am sorry that we disagree and no amount oh arguing would bring us to agreement but I would like to point out that I would never say ADHD is the result of bad parenting. But I would never see it on the level of needing FOL access like a Make a Wish child.

The one thing I don't get is that there are lines everywhere in life. I hate them, always have but I have to deal with them if I want to interface with society. Doesn't someone with ADHD or OCD have to deal with lines outside of Disney? Can't the same accommodations be made or do you get to skip all lines that your child encounters everywhere?

Not everyone who isn't in an ECV has infinite energy and ability to stand or walk""

nor do I, i'm over 350 lbs, my own doing, but I have never attempted to use it as a way to get any benefit

I save my money and pay for my trips, the same as everyone else I shouldn't have to wait longer, if there is a law re-guarding something that is what it is, Disney does this to try and improve their guests comfort, and it is abused

I believe EVC's are loaded first for safety reasons. They need to be strapped down and to be quite honest it takes room to do this.

I walk so I am not sure but I think this is the reasoning. Disney did start new policies also re: when they are loaded. It does seem to work a bit more smoothly and some lines EVC's are in the actual line. They would need to wait for the next bus if they were say 1/4 into the line. Also they do limit the number of family members who can load with them. I feel that from the first time I visited Disney until this year, each visit the process was quicker and smoother. Also new buses are in service now that are easier to load.

I have been in line in tears in pain and had to wait to load because of a wheelchair or EVC. I realize that everyone is doing their best. Sometimes I stay too long thus the extreme pain but that is not the person on the wheelchairs fault even if they have no pain at all.

For conversations sake I have been disabled for 12 years and am in constant pain. My doctors do not want me in a wheelchair and or EVC. They want me to walk, yes I need to be aware of my limits, but sitting all day is not my answer. Disney's answer is to be in a wheelchair or EVC for pain/stamina so my touring is very limited even with a GAC.

I think the coming back at a certain time will work for many but not all. Some days my stopping point just happens so I am better to get a fastpass then come back in say 90 minutes. If I can't use the fastpass we let our children go on twice and or share them.

As an adult it is easier for me to understand why I am not going on a ride but I really feel bad for parents who have to deal with their children and disabilities. My compassion goes out to them.

I said earlier if you have gotten this far - I have never gotten front of the line EVER. Yes I have been allowed to enter fastpass with the GAC but even that line can be long with the current system.

Yes it is. My niece is a pediatrician at a university and sho tels me 99.99% is fake.
She is threatened by parents that just want to get public money and advantages because they just have a rotten spoiled child.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter