• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Today Show expose on GAC abuse at Disney

What about ADHD,on the spectrum, anxiety, or just lying and cheating the system?

I have used many, alternate entrances and I have NEVER seen one with stairs. Do you really think that Disney has multiple alternate entrances for each ride? Usually, there is just one alternate entrance that accommodates everyone. That is why I was so shocked to see stairs. We do not know what the man's disability was, but the woman said she had back problems. She would not be able to take her tour group up the stairs nor would she be directed to such an entrance.

here is my take, i am honestly not trolling or trying to be rude

i expect to wait in lines at disney, we go when it is slower for crowds, if someone is so calaus to try and beat the system, go ahead, it really doesn't slow us down much

i have a much bigger problem with the scooters and power chairs, that people seem to rent by the thousands, i understand why they load them on the buses first, if they are waiting at the stop, if i am waiting when the bus stops, and one adult comes running out of no-where, that is not fair for us to have to wait for the bus to be prepped for the chair, load the chair, and the 6-7 companions that go along with it, when we were there first.

i have seen more than my share of people who don't know how to drive them at all, and in one case the lady stood up and physically moved the scooter to get it into place

i have a much bigger problem with the scooters and power chairs, that people seem to rent by the thousands, i understand why they load them on the buses first, if they are waiting at the stop, if i am waiting when the bus stops, and one adult comes running out of no-where, that is not fair for us to have to wait for the bus to be prepped for the chair, load the chair, and the 6-7 companions that go along with it, when we were there first.

For every adult who" comes out of nowhere" there are several who wait 2-3, even more buses to wait for one that is equipped to take them and has room. Have a little compassion.

For every adult who" comes out of nowhere" there are several who wait 2-3, even more buses to wait for one that is equipped to take them and has room. Have a little compassion.

Compassion? Why should we and especially children have to wait a long time even if it is there turn because of EVCs?
An EVC uses three spots in a bus. Than the EVSC user and his companions, mostly six get FOLT access. So ONE party takes up nine spots and a bus can load three EVC.

Compassion? Why should we and especially children have to wait a long time even if it is there turn because of EVCs?
An EVC uses three spots in a bus. Than the EVSC user and his companions, mostly six get FOLT access. So ONE party takes up nine spots and a bus can load three EVC.

Really, try to live as someone who needs an ECV for a DAY and come back and say that.

I have used many, alternate entrances and I have NEVER seen one with stairs. Do you really think that Disney has multiple alternate entrances for each ride? Usually, there is just one alternate entrance that accommodates everyone. That is why I was so shocked to see stairs. We do not know what the man's disability was, but the woman said she had back problems. She would not be able to take her tour group up the stairs nor would she be directed to such an entrance.

The lady claimed to have "back" and "knee" problems, which got her a GAC, but apparently, those same "back" and "knee" problems don't interfere with her business of showing people around the parks as a tour guide. I'm sorry..I could be really callous, and really cynical, but THAT particular woman is entitled to NO accomodation whatsoever IMO. If you can operate as a tour guide (and note, she wasn't even using a scooter!), then you can do the park as a regular tourist.

Same with the other guy...who apparently was spry enough to use stairs and also walk around the park. Perhaps he has some "hidden" disability...like autism, etc which makes it hard for him to be in crowds or wait in line. Again, though, it seems a strange profession to have...to be a tour guide in a crowded amusement park if you are bothered by crowds. I call BS on him too.

I do think it is too simple to get a GAC, honestly. For those that need them, they are a blessing. But, now, people make this crap up so they can get this sort of stuff. I would think the disabled community would be more incensed than anyone else about this. It is putting the whole program at stake for the selfish wants of a few.

Sorry, don't believe you.

You don't need to be sorry. It is just a matter of accepting facts we all knew for years. The system broke down and now those that really need help are going to pay the bill.
Drive all day,dance all night, the slogan the EVC rental companies use, has finally met the truth.

Really, try to live as someone who needs an ECV for a DAY and come back and say that.

I don't think it's a matter of lack of "compassion". as always whenever you start putting in special rules for one group that gives that group and advantage some where is going to find a way to abuse it until crack downs began.

I recognize that being in a ecv causes difficulties that I don't encounter and while I have empathy toward that situation I did not cause it nor think it entitles that individual to special treatment.

I think one issue maybe that everyone feels that "all" people should be able to do every thing. If I have a kid who has sensory issues and easy meltdowns, as cruel as it sounds maybe Disney is not the vacation for them.

I was visiting Notre Dame last week with seniors with mobility issues. Yes, it would have been wonderful if they could have gone to the top and seen the gargyoles but they are not about to slap in elevators on a 1000 year old church to make it accessible (France, does not have ada enforcements) and my mil was totally fine with that.

I recognize that being in a ecv causes difficulties that I don't encounter and while I have empathy toward that situation I did not cause it nor think it entitles that individual to special treatment.

Getting on the first accessible bus is not special treatment. It's a right, mandated by law, and is in the best interest of everyone.

I don't think it's a matter of lack of "compassion". as always whenever you start putting in special rules for one group that gives that group and advantage some where is going to find a way to abuse it until crack downs began.

I think one issue maybe that everyone feels that "all" people should be able to do every thing. If I have a kid who has sensory issues and easy meltdowns, as cruel as it sounds maybe Disney is not the vacation for them.

I was visiting Notre Dame last week with seniors with mobility issues. Yes, it would have been wonderful if they could have gone to the top and seen the gargyoles but they are not about to slap in elevators on a 1000 year old church to make it accessible (France, does not have ada enforcements) and my mil was totally fine with that.

O I have to ask . Did you go inside Notre Dame and did you see the Rose Window?

I do think it is too simple to get a GAC, honestly. For those that need them, they are a blessing. But, now, people make this crap up so they can get this sort of stuff. I would think the disabled community would be more incensed than anyone else about this. It is putting the whole program at stake for the selfish wants of a few.

Seeing that one needs a note from a doctor to obtain a handicap placard for their car, then it certainly can't be illegal for Disney parks to require one to obtain a GAC. This is the only way to stop people from abusing the system. People who truly, honestly need one most definitely would probably not have any issue providing one.

The lady claimed to have "back" and "knee" problems, which got her a GAC, but apparently, those same "back" and "knee" problems don't interfere with her business of showing people around the parks as a tour guide. I'm sorry..I could be really callous, and really cynical, but THAT particular woman is entitled to NO accomodation whatsoever IMO. If you can operate as a tour guide (and note, she wasn't even using a scooter!), then you can do the park as a regular tourist.

Same with the other guy...who apparently was spry enough to use stairs and also walk around the park. Perhaps he has some "hidden" disability...like autism, etc which makes it hard for him to be in crowds or wait in line. Again, though, it seems a strange profession to have...to be a tour guide in a crowded amusement park if you are bothered by crowds. I call BS on him too.

:thumbsup2

If I worked for Disney Guest Relations, I would be watching dialogues such as these in light of the recent press. This dialogue shows there are people:

a) that can benefit from assistance and who are not abusing their guidelines
b) profiting from the system
c) who could use the program and don't
D) who don't need the assistance but claim they do for whatever reason

The problem is that b & d causes angst with their customer base...just look at the dialogue.

I hope they find a way to deal with the REAL issues of abuse and not just sweep it under the rug. I would think most of us will agree there.

As a side note, when I post things here on topics such as these, it is in hope that Disney sees/hears their customers -- it isn't to offend others or defend my position. I say this because I get very disappointed when I see people being rude, IMHO to others, or make people feel as they they are wrong and need to put in their place. It really makes me quite sad because I would hope that if I saw you in line at Disney we would strike up a pleasant conversation and be human to one another...after all I would think if we are on the board we share a common passion.

Disney -- please address the issues so you don't have an angry mob coming after you reminiscent of Beauty and the Beast shouting...Kill the Beast! My attempt at a little humor ... Little is the key word!!!

:thumbsup2

I had been following a thread on the theme parks board that got deleted but someone there posted Universal Studios policy and it makes so much more sense than what Disney is doing. It bears repeating. At Universal when a guest has a GAC type card where people claim a disability that will not let them wait in line, the ride attendant stamps the pass with a return time equal to the length of the current wait. The disabled party is able to leave and come back for loading onto the ride at the designated time. This system would take away the incentive to abuse the current system and seems simple enough to implement.

Also it is worth noting that this abuse is not taking place with those with mobility issues. WDW addressed that abuse by making lines work for mobility devices. I think they cn do something with this other type of abuse.

I had been following a thread on the theme parks board that got deleted but someone there posted Universal Studios policy and it makes so much more sense than what Disney is doing. It bears repeating. At Universal when a guest has a GAC type card where people claim a disability that will not let them wait in line, the ride attendant stamps the pass with a return time equal to the length of the current wait. The disabled party is able to leave and come back for loading onto the ride at the designated time. This system would take away the incentive to abuse the current system and seems simple enough to implement.

Also it is worth noting that this abuse is not taking place with those with mobility issues. WDW addressed that abuse by making lines work for mobility devices. I think they cn do something with this other type of abuse.

I like your idea.

Out of curiosity, what condition do you believe should give you FOTL access?

I am surprised/not surprised by all this. I am surprised because I actually thought you did need a doctor's letter to get a GAC or at least FOTL access. I didn't think you could just go to Guest Services with a good story and get a GAC. I also thought that Disney took care of this problem by mainstreaming the lines as much as possible. I don't go to WDW all that often, and 9 times out of 10 I don't notice or care what people around me are doing.

I am not surprised because I not naive enough to think that everyone is honest.

The only people who I even thought were eligible for FOL were Make A Wish children. I thought it was reserved for those with a life shortening disease. I have no problem with these poor children getting special treatment and upset that others are using a system designed for them to get priviledges for lesser needs. And i am even more upset these other people may end up making it harder for a dying child. How could you even enter a FOL area ahead of one of these families is beyond me. I am quite shocked to hear about its use for ADHD, anxiety, incontinence, dislike of crowds and so forth.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter