• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Today at HS (April 26) so many closures during morning hours - what to do?

HS in particular seems to be having issues. TOT being half down is a major problem. Right now, it's 9:30 on a Thursday. RnR is down and TOT is at 70 minutes. Alien Saucers is at 40.

I would skip HS on my next trip with my princess, or maybe just hop for an afternoon, but she really likes TOT, so I think I have to rope drop it and then be stuck in a park with crazy waits until 2. I guess we will get to meet Olaf.

We are planning on 2 days at HS, but maybe only one on-site and only one RD. I thought it would be doable but if my first day has 3 rides down at RD and then crazy waits for EVERYTHING I don't see how to make it work, even with 2 days there. I get things go down, but 3 headliners at once seems like a lot. :( We have never seen Toy Story Land or Star Wars Land so we really want to go. But all these stories are not encouraging.

It's now 10AM, and RnR is still down. HS is a small park and these headliners going down are a major issue. RnR should be at 1500 riders/hour, TOT 1700. TOT half down and RnR down completely is over 2,000 riders an hour with nowhere to go. HS doesn't have many filler rides like teacups or carousel to take the volume. But MMRR seems to running really well now, and it moves a lot of people for sure.

To me, this makes HS a big risk from a planning perspective. A morning like today's would be really frustrating to me, and it's a Thursday school day.

Is Disney more lax with letting rides stay down this time of year? Their maintenance staff just came off a busy spring break season and are gearing up for a busy Memorial Day into summer. Right now is comparatively a bit of a lull in park attendance. I could see Disney letting more employees take vacations and underscheduling repair crews to save on costs. Are so many headliners down for so long at other times of year or is this an in-between busy seasons issue?

It's now 10AM, and RnR is still down. HS is a small park and these headliners going down are a major issue. RnR should be at 1500 riders/hour, TOT 1700. TOT half down and RnR down completely is over 2,000 riders an hour with nowhere to go. HS doesn't have many filler rides like teacups or carousel to take the volume. But MMRR seems to running really well now, and it moves a lot of people for sure.

To me, this makes HS a big risk from a planning perspective. A morning like today's would be really frustrating to me, and it's a Thursday school day.
Yeah our second HS day was a bit of a bust. Had hope we could've checked RnRC off our list but it was down from park open until 4pm when we had to leave. My oldest was disappointed. We were able to book an LL for SDD instead, but then all that was left at 10am with a pre-4pm LL was TSMM. So basically my genie+ purchase for that day was sort of a waste. Disney really needs to work on making HS not such a letdown. Heck, we even tried to book a LL for Indiana Jones, but my youngest tripped and scraped her knee on the way there. So we pulled off to the side to get some bandaids for her, and as we were walking up the guy saw us and closed down the LL lane. The return window was 12:45 - 1:00 for a 1:15 show and we showed up right at 1:05 and he refused to let us tap in and said we would have to wait in the standby line which was snaked all the way back to backlot express. Yet another instance of disappointment for my kids. At that point, I had kinda had enough, so we ate and then just went back to the hotel to play at the arcade until we needed to leave for the airpoirt. Can't say it was a magical ending to the trip, thanks to 2 full days of RnRC being down and a cast member refusing to let us in to a stunt show even after explaining to him that my youngest scraped her knee on the way there.

Last edited:

SDD is now up but RnRC still down. Anybody heard anything about what’s going on with it??

11:10a - MMRR, RnRC, and SDD all down
I hope they get things figured out before my trip with 2 HS mornings in 2 weeks.
This is crazy and ruining vacations. I get one being down here or there but the amount of downtime here seems beyond excessive. Other theme parks don't seem to have this many problems. Every day!

This is crazy and ruining vacations. I get one being down here or there but the amount of downtime here seems beyond excessive. Other theme parks don't seem to have this many problems. Every day!
It is really bad. Disney better get this sorted. Does anyone know if they're loosening rules on park reservations in view of all these closures? Can you hop before 2 PM with so many rides down?

We won't have hoppers. Lots of people don't. you should be able to have a reasonable day at any park without hoppers. They need a better fix than that.
Enabling some folks to leave may relieve some pressure in the park. Some of those with flexibility (e.g., AP holders, folks with longer trips) won't stick around in a packed park with many closures if they have options. It won't reopen closed rides, but may keep the other rides from having insane waits.

I think I might plan to hop late into HS. These mornings don't seem appealing to me. With TOT half down, there was already extra pressure on everything. How frustrating for everyone. I wonder how rope drop is going. It's hard to even have a strategy when you don't know what is going to be down.

When we were in Disney April 4-6, the amount of rides that broke down while were on them was insane! I have been to Disney many times, and never have I had these kinds of issues. It wasnt just HS, it was every park we went to. These are the rides that broke down while we were on them: ROTR ( made it through the first 2 sections of the ride, got buckled in and it broke down), People mover, TT, Space ship earth, Haunted Mansion, Splash mountain (this one we werent currently on, waited 2 hrs in line, it went down) Disney has a major maintenance issue IMO, and I dont know how they plan to address it. We only had 2 days in the parks, talk about suck the joy out of a trip.

Disney, stop building new rides till you can figure out how to keep the rides you have from breaking down everyday.

We were there that day. Our only HS day. The first WDW for my husband in 13 years. We did manage Slinky and Mickey/Minnie. That's it. So many folks with nothing to do and no where to sit. About 11 we found a bench in Toystory Land in the shade. There was an elderly woman in a wheelchair about 5 feet away from our bench. She was alone and hunched over, trying to catch some remaining shade. We decided to stay to keep watch on her and refresh DME to check LL. Most were gone at that point. I grew concerned and told a nearby CM about the lady. At this point we were 45 minutes into our bench break and no family/friends had checked on her. She was now fully in the sun and covered with sweat. We waited another 10 minutes and I returned to the popcorn cart to tell the CMs again. They promised to keep an eye on her.

I was so angry/upset at the whole situation. Lunch was Scifi and one thing I noticed this trip more than any previous trip was the servers rushing you through your meal. From start to finish we didn't even see a complete loop of the film. Maybe they made it longer? We decided to grab the only LL at the moment and watch Frozen. LL was just a waste as there was no advantage at all. Generally at DL they let Maxpass folks in first. This LL only let you in the general holding area. The show was cute, but we were back at having nothing to do again as most of the shows were not for an hour. We decided to exit the park and take the skyliner for a break. We took all lines and stopped for a Joffrey's tea. During our little trips we decided to resort hop and forget about HS. Things were starting to come back up, but with no more LL we didn't want to spend the rest of our evenings in a queue.

This makes 0 for 3 tries for my husband to ride Rise. First try we missed getting in the queue at DL. And now two times with closures.

We were at HS on Friday April 29th and we had a great time, but bummed we were unable to ride RnR and ToT . RnR was down most of the day and ToT had only one shaft working and lines immediately built to 120 minutes (not doing that). We literally were able to ride everything else (including Rise twice) and see Indy. If it wasn't for being there at park open (for resort guests) and working the Genie to it's fullest potential, our day would have been dramatically different. I'd feel sorry for anyone who bought a 1 day ticket to that park. Matter of fact, it's kinda crappy that Disney even sells tickets day of for that park. They have a huge problem with HS and I'm not sure they can solve it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter