Toasty..Roasty..or OMG!!!

lizard476

Earning My Ears
My sis and I going to WDW July 5-12. Of course, out of the entire travelling band of gypsies (we are taking 6 kids, ages 4-14) I am the only one with sunburn issues.
We are talking no tan, just varying shades of red when in sun..
Is is extremely hot? Is there shade? Am I gonna get so burnt I turn into a lobster?
Need some help on this one. It's our first trip and I need to plan on bringing a bottle or buying stock in sunscreen.
We live in MS so we are used to humidity....
When you quit laughing, post your reply...

also thinking of a spray on tan..
:rotfl:

I think you better buy a boat load of sunscreen!! and please let us know what brand you buy so we can all buy stock in it!!! :rotfl:

I think you better buy a boat load of sunscreen!! and please let us know what brand you buy so we can all buy stock in it!!!

Ditto! Make sure it is waterproof and reapply every 2 hours or so!!!!

You sound a lot like me. Our family turns red at the thought of walking outside.

We use any of the waterproof baby sunblocks (reapply every 2 hours or so) and are fine. (I have already had to start sunblock in the mornings for my boys before school - they burn on the playground at recess.)

Last summer we spent a week at the beach. We would spend 3-4 hours near the water twice a day and didn't get the slighest tan (or burn).

Go with the sunblock and don't do the tan (it won't keep you from burning).

There are plenty of places for shade I'm told; and you can always cool off on the water rides or at a nice air-conditioned meal.

You'll be able to deal with the heat and humidity. Have you tried to use a tanning bed before coming? My wife's skin sounds very simular to yours apparently. Before we go every summer, she starts going to a tanning salon two months ahead of time. Every other day she goes stating out with a five minute session and very, very slowly building up. She purchases a tanning cream/lotion from the place she tans at and uses it everytime before laying in the bed. By the time it's ready to go her skin is ready to meet the Disney sun with the aid of 30spf sunblock. She's done this for the last 10 years and has never burned once.

My daughter and I are both like you and only have shades of red instead of tan. We went to WDW in 04 and we both found that we didn't get sunburned by using the Spectra brands of sunscreen....We are going again in June...and we have already stocked up on it...wishing ya luck!!

My sis and I going to WDW July 5-12. Of course, out of the entire travelling band of gypsies (we are taking 6 kids, ages 4-14) I am the only one with sunburn issues.
We are talking no tan, just varying shades of red when in sun..
Is is extremely hot? Is there shade? Am I gonna get so burnt I turn into a lobster?
Need some help on this one. It's our first trip and I need to plan on bringing a bottle or buying stock in sunscreen.
We live in MS so we are used to humidity....
When you quit laughing, post your reply...

also thinking of a spray on tan..
:rotfl:

Seriosly do what the surfers do here.. get the sunscreen at the surf shops. One over the counter I know alot of Surfers use is bull frog.you dont want to be roasty toasty but if you do get burned before you take a shower put on white vinegar on the burn let it sit 5 mins then shower off. it takes the heat/ burn out of the burn.also helps prevent peeling which is a good thing when your burnt like a lobster.. how can we tell if your a tourist.. Because your burnt/ tanned. i am white as a ghost because i stay out of the sun .. i dont want skin cancer. At the surf shops they sell special UV shirt that block the rays and the surfers use them when surfing.they are lightweight so they dont weigh you down like a t shirt would and they were form fitting. Hope you have a great trip. i know in some of the parks they have cooling stations which are misters you can walk under .. ohh AHHHH i love em and i am a florida native :)

Don't worry, i'll distract them with my pale white hidden from the sun wisconsin butt.. :lmao:

Check out Coolibar. They have some wonderful shirts, pants, hats and swim attire that act as sunscreen. I got us all rash guards and hats. A bit pricey, but you can also do a Google search for clothing with built in sunscreen. Solarveil is another type of fabric used.

Have you tried the Neutrogena sunblocks? I live with the stuff while at Disney. It is a broad spectrum uva-uvb with helioplex. Great for your skin and I have yet to burn while there. I like the spry because it is the quickest and easiest to apply while at the parks, spray and keep going no greasy mess on me, my bald head, or my hands.:worship:

I think any of the sunscreens with Zinc Oxide are the best. I am VERY fair and keep from burning with these. Look for Bull Frog or Blue Lizard. They are a little pricier but do the job well :)

I burn easily and have always used a lot of sunscreen. Last year while at TL I ran out of sunscreen. A lady that was sitting near me offered to let me use hers. It was a waterbaby SPF50. This stuff was really thick and the water beaded off my skin. I spent approx 6 hours in the sun and water with no burn at all. I just bought one of these to use at the waterparks.

For my everyday sunscreen I use an SPF30 sport lotion. Usually I get the Banana Boat brand. The sport lotions are waterproof and sweatproof.

As a very fair freckle faced ex-life guard redhead, I can attest to Bull Frog. It saved my poor nose a few summers. I think that most waterproof, highest SPF available, broad spectrum sunscreens will do the job. Just makesure you get even coverage & reapply! AND the surf shirts are great for blocking the sun AND they dry super fast after the water rides!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter