to verandah or not?

my2kids

Mouseketeer
ok, i need some opinions... we can get a cat 6 with verandah for $2566.00 and a cat -9 for 2166.00 in sept 09... my question is this, my daughter will be 4yrs.old she is very tiny (still in 24mo.clothes at 3.5yr) and DS will be 7- he is very tall for his age- do you think the verandah would be safe for the kids? my daughter is a climber so i am worried she may get out- i need some input- thanks!

ok, i need some opinions... we can get a cat 6 with verandah for $2566.00 and a cat -9 for 2166.00 in sept 09... my question is this, my daughter will be 4yrs.old she is very tiny (still in 24mo.clothes at 3.5yr) and DS will be 7- he is very tall for his age- do you think the verandah would be safe for the kids? my daughter is a climber so i am worried she may get out- i need some input- thanks!

Just my 2 cent.... NO not worth the risk

Rob

For only $400 I would go for the verandah! The railings are really high - I am 5'8" and it was like almost to my chest. We had a Cat 6 with the solid wall verandah last time (DS was 8). It was a real bummer for him 'cuz the edge of the railing hit right about the level of his head so he couldn't see ANYTHING unless we picked him up. Picking up an 8 yr old is not so easy any more! If you go for one with the clear plexiglass they can see right thru it - should be no temptation for climbing like there was with the solid one that he couldn't see thru! Just don't book one of the Aft ones!

The other thing of course is that you have to lay down the rules. They're simply not allowed out there alone - at least 1 parent must be out there with them and you keep the door locked the rest of the time. They're big heavy sliders...not easy to open. They'll be fine.:thumbsup2

Just my 2 cent.... NO not worth the risk

Rob

I agree with Rob, I asked the same question when I was booking my cruise for May (I am taking DS4 and DS9mths) and even though my son isn't a climber I decided that I would have a better nights sleep if I knew there was no way he could decide to 'try something new!!' :scared1: - I may be making an assumption here, but if you are anything like me, the fact that you've asked the question, makes me think you are at least slightly concerned - in which case I don't think you should have a verandah - one more thing NOT to have to worry about!!!:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I'm sure you will have a great time whatever you decide (in fact I am now looking forward to the really BIG window view I will have!!!:rotfl: )

I say it depends on if you are a parent.

If you are a parent, you will supervise and discipline your children. You will not let them out on the verandah unsupervised, and on the verandah you will not allow them to climb up on the chairs (the step before climbing from the chair to the railing).

However, if you are somebody who is occasionally troubled by the kids you have an obligation to take care of, a verandah is not for you. The kids will get out there, climb up on the furniture, then get up on the rail and hopefully nothing worse will happen.

My wife is an exceptional parent. I am making the effort to be more of a parent and less of an individual with kids. Between us, I know we will keep our children out of trouble on the verandah.

I am booked in a cat 5 stateroom for a seven day cruise and I am looking forward to using the verandah as an escape from the crowds. It sounds like you find a benefit to the verandah, so you have to decide if your children will be properly supervised and if they are disciplined sufficiently to not ignore you when you tell them what not to do.

:) thanks for all the opinions- you are right i am very concerned and i am also one of those overprotective moms.(not always a bad thing,:confused3 right?
i think we will probably go for the cat 9 or 8 just to be on the safe side. The way my son is growing he will be tall enough to see next time and maybe by then she won't be tempted to try something new like sneak out and climb up on a chair!

Go for the verandah at that price it will be worth it, just give your kids a safety talk first, you will enjoy it.

I love my verandah.:lovestruc

We had both on the same cruise. On the second day we had water leaking a tiny tiny drip from the bathroom light. I called maintance and they insisted we had to leave the room. They moved us to a verendah.

My kids were 7 and 5. They actually liked the room with the window without the verendah better because they liked to sit in the window.

:) thanks for all the opinions- you are right i am very concerned and i am also one of those overprotective moms.(not always a bad thing,:confused3 right?
i think we will probably go for the cat 9 or 8 just to be on the safe side. The way my son is growing he will be tall enough to see next time and maybe by then she won't be tempted to try something new like sneak out and climb up on a chair!

You sound exactly like me!!!:goodvibes :goodvibes And no its not a bad thing to be overprotective!!!:goodvibes :goodvibes And there will always be time for the verandah next time!!;) ;)

i was going back and forth about the same issue, and i've decided NO veranda for us this first time. the cat 9's look great, and i'm glad i *finally* made a decision (now i just have to get myself to actually book it)

i just know i'll sleep and relax better. Having to be on 'full alert' while in our stateroom isn't something i want on our vacation. (my kids are dd8 and ds6 - he's who i'm worried about). even thinking of stuff like "if i'm out somewhere w/ dd, and dh and ds are alone in the stateroom, and dh has to use the bathroom for a while (you know what i mean)... yes, he can keep the door open, but again, just something i don't want to even have to think about.

we'll enjoy the view from our room, and the breeze from the regular decks.

We cruised with our son at 2 years, 4 years, and 6 years. Verandah all those times. It wasn't a problem at all. The door is not easy to open, the lock is up high, and the balcony railing is high.

I much prefer having a verandah....it's great when DS took naps.

This last cruise, he was under the weather, so we spent a lot of time in the room, making that verandah extra nice.

I say it depends on if you are a parent.

If you are a parent, you will supervise and discipline your children. You will not let them out on the verandah unsupervised, and on the verandah you will not allow them to climb up on the chairs (the step before climbing from the chair to the railing).

However, if you are somebody who is occasionally troubled by the kids you have an obligation to take care of, a verandah is not for you. The kids will get out there, climb up on the furniture, then get up on the rail and hopefully nothing worse will happen.

My wife is an exceptional parent. I am making the effort to be more of a parent and less of an individual with kids. Between us, I know we will keep our children out of trouble on the verandah.

I am booked in a cat 5 stateroom for a seven day cruise and I am looking forward to using the verandah as an escape from the crowds. It sounds like you find a benefit to the verandah, so you have to decide if your children will be properly supervised and if they are disciplined sufficiently to not ignore you when you tell them what not to do.
No offense, but nobody here asked to be lectured to. I'm sure there are plenty of exceptional parents out there who do have children who might venture out on to a verandah if left unsupervised for even a few minutes. While these children may not be as perfect as yours are, I'm sure they have excellent parents who do actually care about their safety.

As for the OP's question....if you're at all concerned, I'd go with the Cat 9. You'll save some money and won't have to worry about the children out on the verandah. Plus, in September it is very hot so it only takes that door being open for about 2 seconds before all the nice air conditioned air leaves the room and all the hot humid tropical air rushes in! ;) We're personally not big fans of verandah's and after our first cruise in a cat 4, we've gone with connecting cat 8's ever since....which is even more scary for a PARENT because the kids basically get their own stateroom!

You Gotta go with the Verandah!!! It is sooo worth the Extra money! The door to the Verandah from the cabin is heavy and if you keep it closed and (even Locked) there is no worries about the little ones. The lock is at the top of the door. But having the Verandah will make the cruise all the more enjoyable IMHO.

I would say if it's going to spoil your trip, or even put a damper on your trip, to be worrying about it, just get a porthole room. My kids really enjoyed sitting by the window, as another poster mentioned. I have some really cute pictures of them sitting in that window.

On the other hand, everybody says the verandahs are super safe...so I could see either decision making sense.

I'm no help! :confused3

Just my opinion - but I think the thought of the veranda is much scarier than the reality of the veranda. One of my kids is adventurous too - but the mere glance over the edge puts fear into him. I realize some kids might not be cowed by the sight, but then there's the locks. I have had difficulty opening the locks - one multiple cruises for that matter. After 4 cruises, 2 of which have been with kids under 4, it's become a non-issue for me as far as conscious fear goes. I always have one obligatory dream about the ship before we get on - and sometimes it's ME going over the side instead of one of the kids! - but as soon as we board and do the refamiliarization, it's not a concern for me. That is not to say that we don't have firm set rules that we review and drill into the kids during the first day - and that we don't monitor them each day after that - but I don't stress about it any more than I stress about them running into the street if I'm not holding their hands. (And that's a near impossibility with a 9-year old at this point.)

All of that said - of course do what's most comfortable for you, but I truly believe that the fear about verandas and kids is overblown for most people. It's just a very visceral visual in the mind, I understand.

I say it depends on if you are a parent..

:goodvibes While I personally did not agree with most of trimix's post, I will say I 100% :thumbsup2 agree with this statement...and for that very reason, a good parent KNOWS their [non] perfect kids. And a great parent doesn't just hope, think, or pray' that their kids will never get into any trouble, they will do all that they can to protect them, encourage them and teach them. And since you know your children so well, I would :yay: applaud your decision for not choosing a verandah.

I asked this very same question regarding our June Mexican cruise with our 7 year old EXTREMELY ADHD twins... our twins are adopted foster drug babies and the SEVERE ADHD [among many other issues] is one of the side effects of the drugs. And we DO NOT EVER disillusion our selves into thinking "oh I TOLD them not to do XYZ...and they won't do it" :rotfl: :lmao: In fact with our boys it is pretty much the exact opposite. :banana: And as a GREAT parent I KNEW I would not fully relax...worrying about when will they find the lock [you notice I didn't say if :lmao:] and how many chairs, mattress, tables etc will they find to build a 'ladder' to go up and over :scared1: the railing. I also knew since we were taking all four of our younger kids that we would need more hands to help us with the boys..so we are paying for our brother in law to come with us....and NO he doesn't have a verandah room either :lmao:

Now before I have to go dawn my :firefight flame proof suit I will say that there are MANY families that have more relaxed/reserved children that would never even think about going out onto the verandah, much less build a ladder. I honestly do envy them...that they can go to a 'normal' restaurant, to a wedding, church, or even on a verandah cruise and not even think twice. So as you can see it all depends on the personality of your children NOT a lack of parenting style. :lovestruc Enjoy your cruise. :dance3:

save the $400 for shutters. you have piece of mind and holiday memorys at the same time.
I would be leary of a veranda with small kids as well and i don't think my parenting skills are all that bad.:flower3:

I worry alot....and actually I booked a veranda for our Jan 08 cruise. I worried the entire 12 months prior to the cruise. We had no problems. It was wonderful. My kids are well behaved and listen well, but, you never know. The doors are very heavy and cannot be opened....we kept the door locked when we were not using the veranda. period. It was always locked unless an adult was out on there.

The main reason that I booked it was that our 3year old naps every afternoon and goes to bed early....I knew that one of us would be trapped in the room for hours at a time...............but, I brought a good book, ordered room service and enjoyed my veranda every afternoon during nap time and in the evenings too....very relaxing. I never made it to the pirate party (like I said, she goes to be EARLY), but I got to listen to the music and watch the fireworks from my veranda.

We were on a 7 day cruise, so it was worth it to us.....we didn't feel like we were missing out staying in the room. And, its been said before, nothing really matters except that you will be on DCL and it will be MAGICAL!!!!!

For only $400 I would go for the verandah! The railings are really high - I am 5'8" and it was like almost to my chest. We had a Cat 6 with the solid wall verandah last time (DS was 8). It was a real bummer for him 'cuz the edge of the railing hit right about the level of his head so he couldn't see ANYTHING unless we picked him up. Picking up an 8 yr old is not so easy any more! If you go for one with the clear plexiglass they can see right thru it - should be no temptation for climbing like there was with the solid one that he couldn't see thru! Just don't book one of the Aft ones!

What is an Aft one and why is it bad? I just booked a verandah room today for our Nov cruise. My kids will be 13 and 16 so I am not worried about them climbing. Heck our 15 y.o. DD is 6 ft in her bare feet! :scared1: I'm almost 5'8" and DH is about 5'9.5". She's got a few inces on each of us. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter