To those who have toured WDW with the monster Nikons (24-70, 14-24, etc.)

Hoan & Poopie

Mouseketeer
Did you find it cumbersome?

We are going again in October and I would love to bring my newly acquired 24-70 2.8 but am concerned about hauling it around all day with it's weight/size. This would be on a D700. Previous trips I have just brought my 28-200G which is a 12oz lens vs 31oz.

I don't have a problem physically carrying the weight but wondered how others with said lenses have made out, cons?

Thanks

Not a Nikon guy, but my 24-70 f/2.8 lives on my Canon 40D with battery grip. I'm fairly certain that your set up would be about equivent to that. I have had no issues and wouldn't do it any differently.

Not sure if this is Hoan or Poopie, but either way you should be fine...especially if it is a lens you are used to carrying around elsewhere. I am a 5'7 girl and didn't have any problem lugging the Nikon 80-200 f/2.8 everywhere with me (it weighs just under 3 pounds). The 24-70 f/2.8 is just under 2 pounds, so I honestly think you should be fine.

If you get sick of carrying it, just get a locker and pick it up on your way out. You'll have to spend a few bucks, but at least you won't be uncomfortable! :goodvibes

Ha ha, actually this is 'Hoan' but when we go we both do our share of taking pics. She has gotten bit by the photography bug about as much as I have.

You'll be fine. I have a longer camera strap and carry my camera messenger style and don't mind the larger lenses at all. I was in Chicago a couple days for business last week and took just my 28-105 lens and my camera felt really awkward to me with such a small lens. Once you get used to the larger lenses they really don't feel so monsterous after a while.

I just got back last week. The temp was 98 or better each day we were there.:eek: The majority of time, I had my Pentax K10 w/battery grip and the Sigma 28-70 mounted. I carried the 70-200 for a good time in my bag. One day I had my Sigma 100-300 f4. There were two things I am addressing: 1) I just purchased a RS4 Black Rapid Strap. At times, the camera got heavy around my neck. I have a good strap (LowePro Voyager C), but it didn't work as well as I anticipated. I needed to sling it messenger style and then it wasn't quite as easy to bring up to eye level, hence Black Rapid. 2) I have a Lowepro Fastpack 200 backpack bag. My DW has a Lowepro Slingshot 200 AW. I found the Slingshot to be a little cooler to carry and easier to use. Besides it is AW and the last day I really needed that, unfortunately I didn't have it.

Those are the two things that will be changed for my next WDW vacation. I didn't find it unusually cumbersome to carry the heavier lenses. With the right equipment, its not difficult.

as others have stated it all depends on what you are used to, I did WDW in JAnuary with my 2 Sony A700's with batter grips, one had my 28-75 2.8 Minolta lens, the other body had my tokina atx-pro 80-200 2.8,

I'm used to carrying that setup on a regular basis, so for me it was no big deal, just the usual neck pain because I have neck problems..

since that trip I've aquired the Optech Dual HArness which takes all the pressure and weight off of the neck, and I've used it for all day events without neck pain, so I am looking forward to my next trip to WDW

I carry a D80 with a battery grip and a 70-300, no big deal really. The biggest thing you have to watch for is whacking the lens on something. I usually just rest my hand on top of the lens to keep it from swinging around.

Craig

I carried that exact lens on a D3 for 7 days in September last year. I was 7.5 months pg too. :)
You'll be fine. :)

I just got back last week. The temp was 98 or better each day we were there.:eek: The majority of time, I had my Pentax K10 w/battery grip and the Sigma 28-70 mounted. I carried the 70-200 for a good time in my bag.

I didn't find it unusually cumbersome to carry the heavier lenses. With the right equipment, its not difficult.
I just got back from our first trip last week also in that crazy heat.

I think you all are crazy! Halfway through the week I got sick of carrying my stupid little superzoom. Even that little thing felt like a ton around my neck or on my shoulder halfway through a day in the parks.

2 weeks ago, I thought carrying a dSLR shouldn't be too bad. After a few days, I was ready to toss my little superzoom in the lake and go find myself a little Canon Elph that I could just slip in my pocket.

Maybe I would feel different with a dSLR since after seeing all you guys' pictures with the fantastic DOF. I am sorting through pictures and I may as well just delete every one of them. Everything I take is extremely distracting because of all the people in the background at the same focus as the subject. I can't separate the subject from distracting background for the life of me.

I just got back from our first trip last week also in that crazy heat.

I think you all are crazy! Halfway through the week I got sick of carrying my stupid little superzoom. Even that little thing felt like a ton around my neck or on my shoulder halfway through a day in the parks.

2 weeks ago, I thought carrying a dSLR shouldn't be too bad. After a few days, I was ready to toss my little superzoom in the lake and go find myself a little Canon Elph that I could just slip in my pocket.

Maybe I would feel different with a dSLR since after seeing all you guys' pictures with the fantastic DOF. I am sorting through pictures and I may as well just delete every one of them. Everything I take is extremely distracting because of all the people in the background at the same focus as the subject. I can't separate the subject from distracting background for the life of me.

It was very, very hot!!:eek: I had to switch my equipment around and after that it worked a little better. The heat was the reason I started carrying the DW's bag versus mine and my strap was just a little to short to use messenger style. I purchased a black rapid strap today to address that issue.

Another vote for "You will be just fine" My 24-70 f/2.8 is my walk around lens on my D300

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter