To those who have not returned yet - what will get you back?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What will get us back? Us missing Disney. We used to go every year for Christmas. My dad passed in January, 2019, a few short weeks after our final Disney trip together. We couldn't bring ourselves to go back just yet and did a trip to California in his honor during December 2019 (he had always wanted to go and see the west coast.) We were supposed to go as a larger family for Thanksgiving 2020 but canceled. Now we keep watching Disney vloggers and it's making us wanna go sooner than Christmas.

But...we have a trip scheduled for Christmas week. Right now we're planning as if we're gonna go. We have a few audibles and tiers, I guess, for how the trip can play out.

Not very likely, but totally possible: COVID is still a risk. We don't quite get winter numbers again, but travel hasn't returned back to normal. Let's say some areas of the country are spiking. Well, then we'd probably go off-site at a villa with a kitchen, where we can prep our own food or take-in. We'd drive down and maybe do 2-3 days in the parks during an 8-10 day stay.

More likely: COVID numbers drop very low, but masks are still a thing, there's no entertainment, and some restaurants are still closed. We may change to off-site and do less days in the parks. Maybe we do 4-5 days in the parks instead of 8. It'll be a very relaxed trip. I'll golf, we'll try a few restaurants in the area, like Bull and Bear, and we'll save money and most likely book an Easter trip.

Not quite likely, but there's a chance: Mask mandates are waived or very relaxed. Entertainment doesn't return; restaurants are open. If relaxed, we'd probably just keep our stay at a Deluxe and do less park days. We'd enjoy the amenities and go resort-hopping some days. If masks are waived, our trip will be unchanged.

Not very likely: Masks are waived, fireworks return.... Keeping our current trip and I'm switching to a split stay - surprising the family with either a DVC (if available) or monorail resort with park view for NYE. We deserve it after this year.

Vaccines for everyone including children. Covid19 cases dropping considerably, Disney back to normal and Annual Pass being sold again. I live less than 3 hrs away. I gave up my pass due to Covid19. I had been a passholder since 95. I know it was before the Castle was pink lol

Just to make you feel better, after going every year (at least once) since 2015 I have only been twice and that was just for 2 days each time. It seemed to be more exciting when a few years were pushed in between visits. Classic absence makes the heart grow fonder situation.
This much is certain. We were there in December 2019 (doesn’t that seem an age ago) and have another trip booked for December 2022... Three years between visits is a long time, especially at our age... 🙁

Florida resident annual passes being sold. Not going to pay triple figures for one day. We did the 4-day Discovery ticket because family and friends were coming to town. But we won't do it again. Unfortunately we moved to the Orlando area in June, have been to each park once, and won't go again until we can buy annual passes. If that's 2022, then so be it. Disney just doesn't want my money.

This is intended for those who have chosen to not return to WDW since COVID hit. I had a 10-day May 2020 trip that couldn't have been better planned. It was canceled of course due to COVID. We deferred the trip for Holidays 2020 before the world knew how long COVID would be. We opted to cancel the trip indefinitely and get our money back.

For us, it was all the limitations that the virus has brought we rather spend our money when we can have a more complete experience.

There were a few things we were hesitant about before COVID, however. The Epcot entertainment cuts were big for us and the overall experience wasn't as magical as I feel it could be (i.e. Disney Springs ship captains ignoring a hello). But overall WDW offers so much we wanted to visit again and made plans to enhance the experience further.

Now with more cuts like River of Light (my wife's favorite nighttime spectacular), Magical Express and the loss of EMH...we aren't so sure we want to go back anytime soon. We're considering our first Univeral trip Post-COVID in place of our WDW trip, which was going to be a second 2020 trip for us.

For us to go back obvious for us is vaccinations are in full force and the world and the WDW experience is returning to normal operations (i.e. we put our masks away, all shops are open, nighttime shows return, etc) The other big thing would be the return of an After Hours event. I was willing to pay for one last trip so with EMH out of the equation that is an important must for us.

So for those who haven't come back what will it take for you?

1. For the border to re-open ( Canada)
2. For cases to be far lower
3. For masks to not be required
4. For character meals and meet and greets to be back
5. For parades, shows, fireworks to be back
6. For regular hours to be back, especially late nights at MK

My annual pass expired at the end of November. I won't go back until maskless travel is the standard. My parents have a condo in Kissimmee and I'd guess the next time I visit them is Christmas '21.

We cancelled two trips - one in May 2020, one in August.

We are currently booked for 12 days at the Riviera in August. We're hoping to be vaccinated by Memorial Day, but really making sure it's done by the end of July is the most important thing. Worried about when my 14 year old can get it... but it's likely going to be OK by then. I'm more worried about the flight down than anything else.

I have no trouble smelling or breathing through my masks. Perhaps you should look into other masks if you’re having trouble?

Everyone is different. I can hardly smell anything at all through any mask, doesn't matter which one it is, but I can breathe through them fine - did my stress test in one and had no issues. Yet my best friend struggles to do anything more than a very light walk on flat ground in them - doesn't matter what style she wears.

I have no trouble smelling or breathing through my masks. Perhaps you should look into other masks if you’re having trouble?

Good for you.
Personally, I have not found a mask where my sense of smell isn't impacted - and I've been living in a lockdown state with a maniacal liberal gov that requires masks wherever I go. So I've tried them all. It won't change my position on this....and I'm not debating this with you.

I can’t justify the cost of a trip for the state of WDW right now.

We need:
1. Some form of fp
2. Fireworks
3. Parades
4. Longer hours
5. Entertainment
6. Restaurants

Or a decent discount. Since that’s not likely...

I’d also prefer COVID cases to be trending down and less mask restrictions (say indoor, but not needed outdoors), but these are probably things I could talk myself out of if the above was met.

Vaccines for my daughter and I. We are the only ones in the family that want to go anymore. Hoping we can go in December when she's on break from college.
If the vaccines are available by May or June we'll go then. Hopefully things like fireworks and parades will be back but we'd go even if they are not. Would prefer masks not required but not a deal breaker in December. Not sure if I'd go in June if I had to wear a mask though.

The only thing keeping me away at this point is the quarantine restrictions in my home state/job. I can’t afford the extra 2 weeks off after returning from Disney or any travel out to f the state.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter