To those who have not returned yet - what will get you back?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my case - I am going in a month because I hit the point of needing some normalcy and WDW is doing better than my local grocery stores at mask and distancing compliance. I was going to wait until no masks but the reality is they are now talking about another year or two and that the vaccine may not work against the new strain (may just be hype but I never thought we'd still be here a year later either). So for my mental health - now is the time. I've tried staying more local with our national parks nearby but to be honest the areas around those have been very little mask compliance and the restaurants at full capacity with no mask enforcement so I spent most of the time either on remote trails or in my hotel room. So watching the videos has made me feel like WDW is worth trying.

We are here at WDW right now and mask compliance is near 100% everywhere. Honestly, it’s better than back home in that department!

We won’t be back until all of the following*:
1. Mask requirement is lifted
2. Fireworks
3. Parades
4. Character meet and greets
5. Return of fast pass
6. Longer park hours
7. Return of shows
*I have no idea when (or if) these will all come back. If WDW decides to stick with what’s going on now as some kind of new normal we will continue to vacation elsewhere.

1. Not over critical for us but we will need to be vaccinated
2. Fireworks even with vaccination I would not want to be packed in like sardines
3. Parades yes but the same as #2
4. Not really important to us
5. Yes!!!
6. Yes!!!
7. Yes!!!

We cancelled our June 1, 2020 trip and we won't go back until:
- No masks
- Park hoppers
- EMH
- Longer hours
- Entertainment/meet n greets
- some sort of replacement for Magical Express
-FREE magic bands!!!!

I really feel like Disney is slowly chipping away at the magic.

always hopeful.

With your list it does not seem you will be going back anytime soon!!

No masks. Fastpasses back. But I think we're going in May lol. We miss it.

I thought the vaccinations aren't guaranteed to stop you from getting it? They still aren't even sure it's going to work? Just wondering why so many are saying they'll go after they get the vaccine.

From the CDC website:
Will a COVID-19 vaccination protect me from getting sick with COVID-19?
Yes. COVID-19 vaccination works by teaching your immune system how to recognize and fight the virus that causes COVID-19, and this protects you from getting sick with COVID-19.
Being protected from getting sick is important because even though many people with COVID-19 have only a mild illness, others may get a severe illness, have long-term health effects, or even die. There is no way to know how COVID-19 will affect you, even if you don’t have an increased risk of developing severe complications. Learn more about how COVID-19 vaccines work.

So, you can still catch it and test positive thus spread it to others but you won't get sick, per the CDC.

Those of you saying you won't go until the mask mandate is lifted are going to be waiting a while :)

I’m ok with that. We have other places we can go. Instead of WDW next month we’re doing the Poconos. I was thinking if WDW for June 2022 but I think we’re gonna do Cancun instead. When Disney is back to normal it’ll still be there. We can partake then. With huge deals hopefully!

Probably a couple of more years. My kids are looking toward a trip to Europe once things open back up so that will likely be our next family vacation or maybe Hawaii.

As background, I'm from NYS, follow strict guidelines for my family, and haven't gone in a restaurant or anything like that since this began in March. Do curbside pickup, etc. My daughter goes to school 2 days a week. I would be ok with going to Disney in its current state except for the quarantine measures here in my state. She would miss too much school. Even if they allowed the opt-out 4 day testing quarantine, I'm not sure the school would accept it. So....that only leaves us with summer. If she was in school 5 days a week, I would go now and not worry about the time.

I agree with most everything I've read here.
I would like to see longer night time hours WithOut the paid events at night time. There have been only one "free" night for everyone for quite a while now, and it is horribly crowded without some attractions open. We did this once, and that was enough.
Disney needs to increase their famed customer service and reinstate night time hours. I fear their customer service is not what it used to be.
I guess we won't be back until all things are back to normal. If they aren't? There are other destinations in the world besides Disney, even though we would miss it. But I can't get over the chipping away at what used to be free and part of their famed brand name treatment. Nothing lasts forever, and if they don't return to some of this instead of money grabbing at every opportunity, then their brand name will be tarnished eventually.

No masks. Fastpasses back. But I think we're going in May lol. We miss it.

I thought the vaccinations aren't guaranteed to stop you from getting it? They still aren't even sure it's going to work? Just wondering why so many are saying they'll go after they get the vaccine.
From the CDC website:
Will a COVID-19 vaccination protect me from getting sick with COVID-19?
Yes. COVID-19 vaccination works by teaching your immune system how to recognize and fight the virus that causes COVID-19, and this protects you from getting sick with COVID-19.
Being protected from getting sick is important because even though many people with COVID-19 have only a mild illness, others may get a severe illness, have long-term health effects, or even die. There is no way to know how COVID-19 will affect you, even if you don’t have an increased risk of developing severe complications. Learn more about how COVID-19 vaccines work.

So, you can still catch it and test positive thus spread it to others but you won't get sick, per the CDC.

I was wondering the same thing.

As well as those that are saying they are waiting until most American's are vaccinated...I have a feeling that if it doesn't become a mandated vaccine then that won't be happening either 🤷‍♀️

I want to be in a situation where masks aren't required and distancing isn't necessary. I'm not saying masks shouldn't be required, I just want the pandemic to be controlled to such an extent that those precautions aren't necessary anymore.

We go to Florida every 2 months or so, primarily to visit family & enjoy the warm Florida sunshine. In 2020, we only visited Disney theme parks on two days (DHS, MK). We had some fun but for three main reasons, it was NOT AT ALL worth the price of admission for us. :sad2: Our FL-resident family members shared our view, even at FL-resident admission prices! Sad to say, we won't return to the Disney theme parks again until:
  1. Fireworks/light shows return - definitely special for Disney.
  2. Evening park hours return - our favorite time in all of the parks.
  3. Many more live entertainment/shows are added - fun for all ages and they absorb the crowds.
I've received my first dose of vaccine so far. My DH and I ought to both be fully vaccinated by the end of March. We'll continue to wear masks in public for the safety of others. But wearing a mask outdoors in the FL heat & humidity is oppressive so we won't return to WDW between May-October until masks become optional - a long time off, I'd expect. Would love to visit regularly the rest of the year but won't happen until/unless the above 3 things return.

I’m ok with that. We have other places we can go. Instead of WDW next month we’re doing the Poconos. I was thinking if WDW for June 2022 but I think we’re gonna do Cancun instead. When Disney is back to normal it’ll still be there. We can partake then. With huge deals hopefully!

I don't blame you on that. If my kids weren't growing up and the years of them being enthralled by Disney fleeting, I wouldn't be in such a hurry to go back either. But I also wouldn't cross your fingers for deals. Disney seems to be trending in the opposite direction. Prices up. Perks down. And people are so desperate to travel again I don't think getting people back will be much of a challenge.

We plan on going this August, to make up for a canceled trip last Summer. For us, vaccinations are key (though we realize it may not be available in time for our teen). I'm fine with all the rest...masks, social distanced, lack of shows/fireworks/parades, short hours, etc. are all okay with us (actually, I expect most of that). I would not recommend WDW now for someone is making a once-in-a-lifetime trip, but otherwise I still feel like we'll have an enjoyable vacation, which is all we ask for. If I need to book fishing and golf to add activities...I will.

We already do our best to stay diligent; we do trust many of the COVID mitigation practices like masks and social distancing, but we avoid unnecessary travel or visits. There is some inherent risk in everything we do but we feel we keep in balanced. The vaccine will reduce that inherent risk enough for us to travel some. But we plan to remain diligent — masked up and distanced — until community spread is gone. I expect Disney and others plan the same and masks will be around well into 2022.

Last edited:
Dh and I treated the whole family (10 of us) last October. This was the first trip for 2 of them and, of course, they both had been told for months just how over the top amazing WDW is with all the restaurants, atmosphere, magic everywhere you turn..etc...etc..
Now, I realize there are people who think this is still THE place for a vacation.
Well, with shortened hours, lack of restaurant choices, no fireworks, no shows, no parades, no streetmosphere, mandatory masks, and really no where to absorb crowds other than ride queues, it was seriously lacking the experience we had in the past..
Its like eating your FAVORITE meal in your entire life and order it at you FAVORITE restaurant and come to find out its under new management, fired your favorite waiter, and they no longer even serve that favorite dish...
Yep, its gonna be while..we used to take 3,4 or 5 trips a year since 1999...😪😟

This is a good summary for how I feel. I would guess that people that primarily go for the rides will return a lot sooner than those that go for the 'Disney' experience.

For me,, I don't want my next Disney vacation to be worse than the previous Disney vacation. I always want it to be better. It can't be better when so many of the things I love about Disney aren't there right now. A lot of things have to change from where they are now to make that happen.

This is a good summary for how I feel. I would guess that people that primarily go for the rides will return a lot sooner than those that go for the 'Disney' experience.

For me,, I don't want my next Disney vacation to be worse than the previous Disney vacation. I always want it to be better. It can't be better when so many of the things I love about Disney aren't there right now. A lot of things have to change from where they are now to make that happen.

They you have the first timers who don’t know how good it was.

One of my good friends is planning a huge family trip in august. I told her I wouldn’t go because of everything that’s closed. She exclaimed that her cousin works there and it’s allllll open (my friend can be a bit of a know it all but I love her). I told her everything that’s missing and she says well it’s just to drink around the world for her kids 21st bday yet she’s taking the grandkids and all of her other older kids. Everything I mentioned wasn’t a deal breaker because she didn’t know what she’s missing. I then told her we cancelled our next trip because we go often and wound be missing out. So you’ll always have that group willing to go.

1. Vaccinations.
2. If I'm going in the summer or fall: no mask requirement. If I'm going in the spring or winter I can deal with the masks but prefer not to deal with one for an extended period of time in the hotter temps. (I'm not an anti-masker at all and wear one in public in VA all seasons. I just don't like to be outside for long periods of time with one on in the heat!)
3. After Hours events. This one isn't a MUST, but it'd definitely be a draw. We went with my family right before Covid hit hard and our After Hours night was by far the highlight of our trip. My sister usually hates Disney because of the crowds and is already trying to go back as soon as we can do After Hours again.
We've never been super into characters so the cavalcades are enough for us. Same with fireworks. We like seeing them from wherever we are in the park, but would much rather get a half-view of them instead of dealing with the castle crowds.

We always planned our next family trip as Fall 2021, so not going in 2020 was already part of our travel plan long before covid. Everything is reserved for late October and the hope is we are vaccinated by then.
We are ok with limited offerings and wearing masks as our trips are usually only ~4-5 days and there's more than enough for us to do. Our 2019 trip ended up being DCL, so we still haven't done FOP, Toy Story Land, Galaxy Edge aka all the newer stuff.

I want to be in a situation where masks aren't required and distancing isn't necessary. I'm not saying masks shouldn't be required, I just want the pandemic to be controlled to such an extent that those precautions aren't necessary anymore.

That's where we are.

We aren't doing big crowded vacations using air travel and inside restaurants until the pandemic is under control. Thankfully we live in a major vacation destination with lots of outdoor recreational activities. (In the fall we went camping/rafting but picked up yummy dinner from a nearby restaurant to eat riverside.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter