To Those Who Get Queasy On Star Tours...

Eljay

DIS Veteran
Do you have any coping secrets? :confused3

I personally have ridden Star Tours several times and really enjoy it, with no motion sickness, dizziness or queasy stomach issues.

However, I have ridden with friends that do get those problems from the ride. My next trip will be with 4 first-time Star Tours riders and I am hoping to hear some first-hand experience suggestions on how to overcome or avoid motion sickness on the ride.

I will feel terrible if I ruin their day by suggesting Star Tours!!! :crazy2:

Thanks! :wave2:

Dramamine makes you incredibly drowsy. Unless you are so motion sick you can't cope, I wouldn't take it. It completely ruined my dh time at six flags last year. He barely remembers it, just remembers being really sleepy the whole time.

DH gets really motion sick on Star Tours, tea cups, etc. but he powers through because he loves us. :)
He normally needs a couple minutes to sit on a bench somewhere afterward, but once we get up and get moving again he is ok.

Dramamine comes in a "less drowsy" formula. I take half of one tablet, and I--who normally gets car sick if I read more than a couple of lines--can read all day in the car. I also took half of one when we did US/IOA (simulators and spinning really get me now), and I rode all day with no issues and no sleepiness.

Not as bad as Body wars .... but, I find if I keep my eyes fixed on the center of the screen and try and ignore the edges where things seem distorted and accelerated then I'm okay. People who get motion sickness generally do better in the front seat of a car than the rear because they can look straight ahead rather than to the side.

Sometimes, I will hold my hands up to screen out the edges of the screen.

Bonine works like dramamine, but does not make you drowsy. I use Sea Bands and Bonine which makes those rides tolerable, but not really fun. I feel like I have to do them once a trip just to say I have. ;)

Something else I discovered with motion sickness is that mine is triggered by visual clues. For example I can get "seasick" even at Test Track if I sit behind other people. My eyes can't find a fixed distance to focus on and it makes the queasiness worse.

I began asking for the front car or front row on these types of rides and I can't believe the difference! Noticed it first on TOT when we randomly ended up in the front row. No upset stomach, then tried it on RnR, Space Mtn, Soarin, and TT. Can't believe the difference. Helps a little on Star Tours. Hey, it's worth a shot.

If I start to get queasy on ST I focus on something stationary instead of what's happening on the screen.

Dramamine comes in a "less drowsy" formula. I take half of one tablet, and I--who normally gets car sick if I read more than a couple of lines--can read all day in the car. I also took half of one when we did US/IOA (simulators and spinning really get me now), and I rode all day with no issues and no sleepiness.

Excellent thank you! I hate feeling like :upsidedow all day after one bad ride.

Last time we were at Disney there was no Star Tours, unless we just missed it, lol. My DD & DH really want to do this ride but after reading some posts I'm a little worried. I hate feeling nauseous and am wondering just how bad it can be. Don't know if this helps but my 2 fav rides are Tower of Terror & Rockin Rollercoaster. If I can handle those would I be able to handle Star Tours. Sorry if my rambling doesn't make sense. :(

Last time we were at Disney there was no Star Tours, unless we just missed it, lol. My DD & DH really want to do this ride but after reading some posts I'm a little worried. I hate feeling nauseous and am wondering just how bad it can be. Don't know if this helps but my 2 fav rides are Tower of Terror & Rockin Rollercoaster. If I can handle those would I be able to handle Star Tours. Sorry if my rambling doesn't make sense. :(

It's hard to say, everybody is different.
I can't tolerate ToT at all, but Star Tours is easy for me.
I think it has more to do with the combination of 3D glasses and movement of the seats. Some people get disoriented or motion sickness as a result.

If I start to get queasy on ST I focus on something stationary instead of what's happening on the screen.

This doesn't help me on Star Tours - since the whole room is moving it's tough to "escape". I went on this last time and swore I never would do it again!

I might try some of what the others mentioned (Bonine, Sea Bands, etc) for EE and RnRC...I can ride each once but that's it - would love to go multiple times on each without feeling sick!

Star Tours has been around for a LOOONG time. Perhaps it was down for it's refurb when you were there last.

I don't think that the motions on ToT and RnRC would induce motion sickness in many people. The coaster is just too fast a ride, and the movements on ToT (at least for me) are too erratic to induce nausea. (Unholy terror, yes. Nausea, no).

If you get car or air sick then ST may be a problem for you- it certainly is for me. I'm always in the front row (handicapped seat) and find that shutting my eyes or just staring at a fixed point in front of me helps enormously. Bonine (generic name meclizine) is a non-drowsy antinauseant that works very well, but is not sold in Canada. If you can get to a US pharmacy you could try that.

Last time I was on ST, I closed my eyes and prayed. Same with EE :upsidedow.

This doesn't help me on Star Tours - since the whole room is moving it's tough to "escape". I went on this last time and swore I never would do it again!

I probably should have worded that better - the point is not to look at the action on the screen and instead pick someplace else in the cabin that is solid and watch that.

i get queasy every time i ride star tours and i just look @ the little robot that's like the captain or whatever, it helps.

mousiemom said:
i get queasy every time i ride star tours and i just look @ the little robot that's like the captain or whatever, it helps.

Do you take off the 3D glasses or leave them on?

We did this ride last year!!! We enjoyed it. Like someone mentioned I closed my eyes if I got that sick feeling. Also looking away from the screen helped me :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter