To the people who responded to the "teacher gift" post...

I don't think there is a single person here who would say that gifts are expected from clients/students etc.. But I think they would all say that a simple thank you would be nice.

very true.

I just get frustrated when people say "Its a choice to be a teacher blah, blah blah. And by the way you have it easy because I have too "insert tough job situation here"

again very true. I also think many people get frustrated when they see teachers complain in a similar fashion. I know I do. Let's face it, it is never fun to listen to somebody whine.

I've always liked this:

Teacher's are just educated babysitters. Every parent should pay them accordingly.

$5.00 an hour (a decent baby sitting wage)
3 classes at 1.5 hours each per day (no sense paying for bus duty, etc.)
33 students per class on average
200 teaching days (I'm only paying for when they are in the classroom.)

so, that comes to: $5 x 1.5 hours x 3 classes x 33 students x 200 days = $148,500.

I'm not sure where this comes from, but I changed the numbers to fit my situation.

Quote:
Teacher's are just educated babysitters. Every parent should pay them accordingly.

$5.00 an hour (a decent baby sitting wage)
3 classes at 1.5 hours each per day (no sense paying for bus duty, etc.)
33 students per class on average
200 teaching days (I'm only paying for when they are in the classroom.)

so, that comes to: $5 x 1.5 hours x 3 classes x 33 students x 200 days = $148,500.

I like this!!

I'm a teacher. I didn't get any gifts this year. That's okay...If my son has good teachers and they can put up with him without killing him or tossing him out his year...they will get gifts.

I knew when I went into teaching that the pay was not what I would have liked but I had visions of saving the world, turning the worst kids into honor roll kids, and generally had idealized versions of how things would work. Twelve years later, I have not only thrown out the rose colored glass, but I have stomped them to death. I long for the time I can decide what I want to be when I grow up and have teh courage to go out and do it. If teaching was my only responsibility, I would be the happiest person on the planet. However, paperwork (I know all jobs have this), beauracracy (okay, so spelling isn't my strong suit :teeth: ), and the legal demands required by IEPs, and a few other "issues" have pushed me to decide I might need a new career. I guess I don't really look for something else because I love the kids...I'm hopeful that something will come along and pay at least what I'm getting now (I would prefer more) and then I can leave education behind.

To the OP, I'm sorry people make you feel bad by saying teachers don't need anything else....because we get paid for the job...I think next time I go some place where I'm supposed to tip, I'll tell them that they are getting paid for their services and don't need a tip!! hehehe (I'm just kidding)

Regardless of how much a teacher makes, it is simply a nice gesture to give a gift to a teacher at the end of the year! It is just a subjective situation!...some people give gifts, some don't! I think that Most teachers do not expect anything in return...the smile on the kids faces and knowing that we are shaping this country's children are what keeps alot of teachers staying!

I am a daughter of a retired teacher, sister of a teacher and best friend of a teacher. I personally think teachers are saints. You could not pay me enough to do that job!! That being said, I grow a little weary when I hear teachers in my community complaining. They have the best contract in our state and still complain. If you add up the hours worked and take into consideration their all but free health care/benefits these folks work less and make a heck of a lot more than I do. I just don't understand why they're complaining.

Anyway, that's a bit off the original topic so back to teacher gifts.....I don't understand teacher gifts either. I didn't give them to my teachers as a child and I don't understand them now. My best friend and sister appreciate the gifts but quite honestly could care less if they see another mug/poster/christmas ornament/tote bag/etc with an apple on it. Neither can they possibly use up the enormous supply of lotions and gels they now have. lol That's not to say they do not appreciate the gesture They do appreciate gift cards, etc. Especially the ones they can use for the classroom.

I understand parents who feel the need to show their appreciation. Appreciation is a great thing. I just don't understand why this one particular industry has this gift-giving issue. Even my son's daycare is like this. There is actually a teacher appreciation week on top of the gifts expected at Christmas (they actually put bags w/ their names outside the classrooms to collect the booty!!!). I find it offensive that gifts are expected. And then there are the parents who feel the need to compete with one another to purchase the biggest and most expensive gift. HUH?? I actually felt guilty for only spending $10 per person on each of the four teachers. That's when I gave myself a reality check. lol

I started to think about it and realized it's just our society. It's a bit like having mother's day, father's day, grandparents day, milk appreciation day, etc. Ok - made up the milk appreciation thing, but it does seem like every day is an appreciation day for something!! In the workplace there are only a few industries that have such events. There's nurse appreciation week, secretary's day, etc. Like I said, I think appreciation is a great thing. I just want to know when I'm going to get an appreciation day. I work my 40+ hours per week with an ok salary and a raise so small each year I don't even notice a change in pay. I'd love for somebody to give me a gift just because I'm doing my job and doing it well. And believe me....it is a thankless job. lol No one I know would want to do what I do. Like most, I just want to be appreciated. A pat on the back from my boss would go a long way!!

At any rate, I will continue to give appreciations where appreciations are due. Whether that's my son's teachers or one of my cubicle dwelling co-workers. God bless all you teachers out there. I know you don't do the job for the gifts. You are very important people in the lives of children. Thank you for all you do!

Lisaschu

gina2000 said:
I believe that teaching, especially at a grammar school level, requires a huge emotional commitment especially for good teachers. It's not merely a job though on paper and in the eyes of most adults, it is. I take that into consideration when I look at the job as a whole and when I evaluate the type of skills my child learns in the nurturing but demanding environment we call the classroom.

As stated on other posts, I also realize that a teacher's position and career decision is a choice much like mine or yours. I do feel, however, that a good teacher's commitment is not only to the job as a whole but to individual students and their needs. That dedication involves an emotional and mental commitment that most people do not have with their respective positions. Therefore, I feel that their commitment to my child should be recognized and appreciated by me whenever possible. In my eyes, it's an entirely different relationship because a teacher's dedication to his/her job usually includes a commitment to molding human beings into responsible adults, a job that we, as parents take very seriously.

I will always recognize a teacher as a special human being, largely because I know I do not have the vocation to mold children into productive members of society but realize the importance of that mission. They are helping parents raise the future. Whether it is through a special note, a gift, or just a quiet word of heartfelt thanks, I believe a good teacher deserves recognition for helping me to educate my child.

Maybe that's too simplistic, but that's how I see it.

EXACTLY!!!

My gifts to teachers, whether they be school teachers, dancing school teachers, scout leaders, etc... have nothing to do with monetary compensation. That is not my responsibility. But the gifts are tokens of my and my childrens' appreciation of their time and dedication to us.

I think that teachers deserve anything we can give them. I am intrusting my children to them for more time than I get to spend with them. If they nurture your children and put their heart into their job, they deserve the best that I can give. I even have some teachers from previous years that I still buy for from their book fair wish list. There are three teachers in particular that have touched our family's more than you can imagine. We moved schools two years ago and two of my children's previous teachers still contact us...sent son a card before school started telling him how great he was and that although previous school is sorry to see him go, the other school was lucky to have him. I know that I am babbling...I seem to do that, but I admire teachers for the jobs they have to do and I am proud to send gifts and thank you's any time I can. We even bring gifts back from travels we do during the school year:)

ETA: I am not tooting my son's horn...just trying to show the dedication of the many teachers we have had :earboy2:

lisaschu said:
Anyway, that's a bit off the original topic so back to teacher gifts.....I don't understand teacher gifts either. I didn't give them to my teachers as a child and I don't understand them now. My best friend and sister appreciate the gifts but quite honestly could care less if they see another mug/poster/christmas ornament/tote bag/etc with an apple on it. Neither can they possibly use up the enormous supply of lotions and gels they now have. lol That's not to say they do not appreciate the gesture They do appreciate gift cards, etc. Especially the ones they can use for the classroom.

Lisaschu

I agree with everything Lisa said (just quoted some of it). My dad is a retired teacher and both of his parents were teachers also. I don't know when giving out gift cards became all the rage. My dad retired right when they started doing it and we survived not getting all those gift cards, same with my grandparents. We also are expected to give gifts at Christmas, teacher appreciation week, and end of the year at my kids' school. That is just amazing to me! We never did that growing up. Of course we couldn't afford it, my dad was a teacher. I don't remember my dad every complaining about his salary, he LOVED his job. He loved the kids. That seemed to be enough for him. I also know he was one of the favorite teachers at his school, my DH had him long before I knew my dh. A well written letter by the student or parent was much more appreciated by my dad than any nick nack ever was. I guess it's a different generation with different expectations with the teachers too. :confused3

I've given gifts to my sons' grade school teachers, because they've always gone above and beyond with them.

This year, I even gave the bus driver a gift, because he has waited for my son a few times when he was running behind. Drivers in past years could care less, and don't even slow down if they don't see the kid standing outside.

gina2000 said:
I believe that teaching, especially at a grammar school level, requires a huge emotional commitment especially for good teachers. It's not merely a job though on paper and in the eyes of most adults, it is. I take that into consideration when I look at the job as a whole and when I evaluate the type of skills my child learns in the nurturing but demanding environment we call the classroom.

As stated on other posts, I also realize that a teacher's position and career decision is a choice much like mine or yours. I do feel, however, that a good teacher's commitment is not only to the job as a whole but to individual students and their needs. That dedication involves an emotional and mental commitment that most people do not have with their respective positions. Therefore, I feel that their commitment to my child should be recognized and appreciated by me whenever possible. In my eyes, it's an entirely different relationship because a teacher's dedication to his/her job usually includes a commitment to molding human beings into responsible adults, a job that we, as parents take very seriously.

I will always recognize a teacher as a special human being, largely because I know I do not have the vocation to mold children into productive members of society but realize the importance of that mission. They are helping parents raise the future. Whether it is through a special note, a gift, or just a quiet word of heartfelt thanks, I believe a good teacher deserves recognition for helping me to educate my child.

Maybe that's too simplistic, but that's how I see it.

Well said, I completely agree.

Please find the quotes where someone said that. I haven't read the threads since last night, but at that point I'd seen one that had those words and it was a post claiming people said that - no one actually had!

Okay, I read back through the posts and found one post that had those words - as a secondary reason. The first was that she was following district guidelines. I saw nothing in her posts to indicate she had less than the highest respect for teachers. In fact I think it is MORE respectful to follow the rules.

I teach, I don't see the need for gifts, nor has the amount of gift giving discussed here been my experience. I would be embarrassed if it was. The parents I want in my class are parents who follow rules, don't teacher bash (give me the benefit of the doubt before spouting off), prepare their kids for school and expect them to behave themselves, volunteer when asked, get involved in PTA, vote for school issues, send in supplies when asked, etc. etc. These things show appreciation to me in a way nothing else could.

There are many jobs in public service where people could use more money. I try to use my VOTE to help this. I have never once given a gift to my garbage man, etc. I have occasionally given gifts to teachers that we have personal relationships with (it's not against the rules in my district or I wouldn't), but I don't consider it a way of making up for their salary!

Goodness gracious! People read a lot into a post, huh? Did I write it with my eyes closed?
1)I said that I was not complaining, nor have I complained very much during my career about my salary
2)I never said that teachers make the lowest salaries of any job out there
3)I don't ask for gifts, period, and I certainly didn't say that gifts would make up for a low salary
4)I am paid well below the national average salary for teachers, but I stay because I obviously don't do it for the money - if I did, I would have quit after the 1st year!

Wow! I guess I should have come straight to the point: respect for the job would be nice, and I didn't see that in the parent posts which stated that they wouldn't give gifts because teachers are just doing what they get paid to do. Not giving gifts is fine, but please know that teachers are paid only to teach. I can do that. However, I also choose to care for, love, and respect my students. I choose to dry tears, listen to their problems, show them how to be good human beings, and give them a positive outlook. I spend many hours outside of work trying to make learing more fun, communicating with their parents to help them in school, and meeting the needs of my students when I can't do it during my paid hours. Most good teachers never leave their jobs "at the office" because there aren't enough paid hours in the day to get the work done. Mostly, though, they do it because they care - a lot. So, there's my message. Please refrain from reading in between the lines! As a teacher, I have to say it: read everything twice!

:rolleyes:

Disney01 said:
As a fellow teacher,......... I personally no of no other job when I can take a stack of papers, sit out in my backyard with a glass of wine and grade at my leisure.

Too many glasses of wine!! - that would be KNOW of NO other job......

:rotfl:

I gives gifts to teachers as a sign of great appreciation for the work that they have done for my child (now, if I get a teacher like Disney01 - I would probably save money that year!)

:teeth:

I think you are also reading between the lines - unless I missed those posts you're referring to. I do not think respect comes in the form of gifts - I'm not a gift person. Obviously many people on this board are though. I prefer daily respect to special occasion recognition.

Not giving gifts is fine, but please know that teachers are paid only to teach. I can do that. However, I also choose to care for, love, and respect my students. I choose to dry tears, listen to their problems, show them how to be good human beings, and give them a positive outlook. I spend many hours outside of work trying to make learing more fun, communicating with their parents to help them in school, and meeting the needs of my students when I can't do it during my paid hours. Most good teachers never leave their jobs "at the office" because there aren't enough paid hours in the day to get the work done. Mostly, though, they do it because they care - a lot.

I am a nurse. I get paid less than you. I could easily change "teach" in your post and place "nurse". As in, I am only paid to provide nursing care. but, like you I commit many off hours to my patients, provide lots of extras in the emotional, mental, friendship, etc dept. However, I don't think people tell me thank you or show me respect what I do by giving gifts.

I truly don't think you should be offended or feel like someone doesn't respect your profession because they don't buy you end of year gifts.

Do you maybe see it like a tip that a waitress gets, in that, you believe it reflects how the parent feels you did at your job? ANd maybe that is what makes you so upset?

Good catch on my incorrect homophone! Your write-I did have two many glasses of whine! Ha ha! But, I still stand buy what others our saying on this thread! Ouch!

And Noopy, I do think you are complaining about your job! Sorry, but when I read your original post and your follow up, all I can think of is "Blah, blah, blah, whine, whine, and pat yourself on the back!"

I didn't see the other thread but I have a :grouphug: for all teachers. I think people are becoming more aware and more appreciative of what teachers do in their jobs. I sure hope so. :)

Your write-I did

was this on purpose (you're right) or are you hitting the sauce again ?:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter