• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

To the parents of "tweens"...

sing4joy

Mouseketeer
I haven't seen anything on this, so in case anyone is unaware, (as I was), there is currently programming (at least on the Wonder) just for tweens (10-12). The group is called "Out and About" and has scheduled activities outside of the Oceaneer club/lab. Our daughter (10) was thrilled to have a group of her own!

They travel together in activities such as dodgeball on deck 9, private game show in Studio Sea, lunch together at beach blanket buffet and even scheduled use of teens space aloft. DD's group consisted of about 8 or so last week.

One thing to consider however, is that you'd need to feel comfortable registering your child as a "self-check," as this is required for participation. So they'd be able to check in/out without an adult. We were okay allowing our dd this privilege, with confidence she'd go nowhere without communication. You can locate your child thoughout the day through the "out and about" schedule on PN. I had my daughter request the counselor send us a text on beeper if she wanted to opt of of an activiy and stay in the club/lab ( group stops there in between scheduled activities). It all worked out very well :thumbsup2.

This is awesome info thanks! We'll be onboard with a 12 yr old in Nov. I assume they will let you know about this option when you register? With everything going on I don't want to forget to ask!

You know, we only learned of it through a counselor who was greeting families on the long line checking into the club on day one. She was welcoming kids and making small talk, and when she asked my daughter how old she was, she filled her in on "a new club we're trying out." Perhaps it's a trial thing - I do hope they keep it.

Although it is printed on the PN, right above the Oceaneer Club/lab activities. it's easy to miss if you're unfamiliar with it though ( I didn't notice a description - just "out and about") I do know we were not invited to pre-register for this in advance online.

Keep an eye out for it though - I think your son would enjoy
:)

That sounds wonderful. I know our 10 yo daughter would love it. We go in November so I hope it is still around at that time. Thanks for the info.

I checked in on my daughter when the group was scheduled for their game-show in Studio Sea; found her on stage with a big Donald hat behind an electronic podium - was a great photo -op!

We're looking to cruise on the Dream in summer 2011. I'll have one who will be 10 and the other 13. I know they'll have that new club the Edge for my 13 year old, but my 10 year old will still be in the younger group. I'm getting kinda nervous about their ages and what they can do, especially the 13 year old. Has anyone heard anything? I hate they're gonna be separated.

I'm pretty sure they would allow the 13 year old to hang with the 10-12's, especially with their new interchangable grouping policies now. Not so sure about the reverse though... At least the can start day 1, in "out and about" together if they like. With the group activities they make new friends so quickly; my guess is they may not mind splitting up once they've gotten the feel of things together for a bit.

They've been on two Disney cruises before. Once they were together by age and the last time they were separated. They did fine, but it was a tad of a pain keeping up with where each of them went. I'm more concerned about the Dream and this new Edge club. I hope they have activities planned for them or else I will feel bad for her if her younger sister is doing a bunch of cool stuff. I wish there was more info out on that.

this is great information!! thanks:yay: I was getting concerned about the ages for the clubs, my DD will be 4 months shy of her 13th bday when we cruise. this tween club idea sounds great. I hope it is still in effect when we go. On our cruise last year (not DCL) I never saw my DD, she was in Kids Club activities all day.

:thumbsup2 My twin tweens LOVED the tweens program - Ocean Quest - on the Magic in August. They turn 13 just before our Wonder cruise next week and I think they will probably choose more of the 'out and about' activities than Aloft, I suspect. They loved the tweens Dodgeball, for sure!:cool1:

Just got back today!! Great cruise on the Wonder. My son loved this new group, Out and About. I never saw him , haha He would just look to see where his group was going to be and go sign him self in and I just told him that when he left that group he was to paged me to let me know where he was going. Even on Castaway , they did things like sand soccer and vollyball and A game called search for Atlantis. They did some of the same things as the other groups , Built a volcano, Flubber. They even had their own pool and pizza party late one evening. I do hope they keep this new group.

great info. I have a 11 and 12 year old and this would be so much better than the other club. We sail in 2 weeks.

We'll be on our first cruise soon, thanks for passing this on. :goodvibes I think my 10 yr. old son would enjoy it :thumbsup2

I'm glad your daughter liked it. From another perspective, my 12 (13 in 4 months then) did not find any of the activities interesting enough to even go check them out. But it could be my dd. Who wants to go make pizza with a group when you cook by yourself all the time at home? That's just the one I remember.

I will be on the Wonder in 3 weeks:cool1::cool1: I have a differant situation. My 3 grandchildren 14, 13 and 12 will be with me. The 12 and 13 yr olds are boys and very close. Will they let the 12 yr old move up with his brother and sister in the teen group? I no that is what they are hoping

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter