To the CM's on the board: what is the one "tip" you can give us?

As a mother who lost her 1yo DD in Toon Town last February, I would say that making sure CM's know how to contact you especially if your child can not tell them their own name let alone their parents or phone numbers. I was very lucky. She was only gone for about 5 min. But that was the longest 5 min of my life. She wondered out of the play area in Toon Town when I was distracted by my 3yo. DD. I did learn that CMs know to keep an eye out for little ones who seem to be separated from their parents. The CM that found my daughter was trying her best to get my DD to tell her, her name but she just couldn't at that time. Now I take hospital ID tags (the plastic ones) with me and print vital info on it with a sharpie. I put it around her ankle so it doesn't bother her that much and we leave it on till we leave.

Where did you get the ID bracelet? I was thinking about doing the bead bracelet thing, but yours sounds better! :thumbsup2 Thanks! :flower3:
I don't know where the OP got hers, but here's where I got mine:
www.shanrene.com
Look for the 100% Customized Silicone Wristbands.
They're less tha a couple bucks apiece and they come in many colors! They're great. I put my husband's name & cell phone number on 1 side, and mine on the other. I have the kids (ours are younger) put them on their ankles rather than their wrists so they can't take them off. I buy the youth size for a 5 & 2 year old.
Gretchen

The one tip I got here that I really like is to thank CMs a lot. When they're happy and you're happy, EVERYONE is happy. It's infectious. Smile a lot too.

:) :hug:

:thumbsup2

I just had to pass along my quick story...

I was at MK when I was 15 - about 15 years ago. I was on a school trip, and long story short, my boyfriend at the time though it would be more fun to run off with his friends than to hang out with me and left me there all alone. Anyway, I went back to a central area - maybe main srteet? to try to find some classmates. I wouldn't find anyone so i started crying. A CM who was selling balloons noticed me and came over to me to see if I was Ok - I told her I was OK but I was lost from my group.
She waited with me until I saw someone that I knew (because I refused to go to lost and found) and she gave me a balloon! I will never forget how nice she was and how doing something so simple as giving me a balloon made my day! That is how I will always remember Disney World as being the most magical place on earth!!:wizard:

I don't know where the OP got hers, but here's where I got mine:
www.shanrene.com
Look for the 100% Customized Silicone Wristbands.
They're less tha a couple bucks apiece and they come in many colors! They're great. I put my husband's name & cell phone number on 1 side, and mine on the other. I have the kids (ours are younger) put them on their ankles rather than their wrists so they can't take them off. I buy the youth size for a 5 & 2 year old.
Gretchen

Thanks for the website. I am going to buy some for my children!

when we were there a few years ago, Imy DH had bought me a balloon but after walking round the park with it all day one of the ears deflated. One of the CMS got chatting to me and we were laughing about the ear, and she asked to see my balloon. I handed it to her and she gave me a brand new one - i was speachless. On the way out of the aprk night i see a wee girl who was knackered but behvaing really well, and I asker her guardian if i could give her the balloon - she agreed and the reaction was as if i had given her the world. It was unbelieavble - always makes me smile when i think of that day x

Is that the tree with all the big fruit/pod type things hanging down? I have always wondered what that tree is. It is really cool.

Nope, that's an African Sausage Tree. (I saw one in Key West and thought it was cool-looking, so when I noticed the plaque on the one at AK, it stood out in my memory).

Thanks Taylor, I jsut ordered some custom bracelets from that site. My dd is almost 3 and that is such a scary age to go to places like Disney. She's old enough that she can run away; yet she doesn't say her name or my phone number yet:scared1:

I think we are covered though. I have the safetytats and the bracelet.:dance3:

Excellent thread! Thanx for all of the great tips! I have been to Disney over 30 times and I still learn something new!:thumbsup2
To all of the CMs-thank you so much! YOU are what makes our time at WDW magical.YOU create the magic and maintain it. YOU all are a huge part of what keeps us coming back. Thank you for everything that you do.

I have seen a video online of the WDW fireworks, if they are half as good in person as they were online I can not wait to see them.

How often do they do fireworks and from how far can you see them?:goodvibes

I have seen a video online of the WDW fireworks, if they are half as good in person as they were online I can not wait to see them.

How often do they do fireworks and from how far can you see them?:goodvibes

It depends on the park you're going to and when. The Magic Kingdom - what most people think of when they hear 'Disney World' has Wishes, EPCOT has Illuminations, and Disney Hollywood Studios has a unique show including fireworks called Fantasmic. Here is a link to the upcoming park hours:

http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/hours.htm

Before meeting a character, help your kids think of a "question." If the child goes to the character and asks something they will probably have a more interactive moment than just a signature and photo. It's especially fun to think of the question during the wait, it helps the time go by faster.

Try to make sure the question is in the character's storyline, don't just ask something generic like "how are you doing?"

Captain Hook: Tick Tock Tick Tock... do hear that Captain Hook? Tick Tock Tick Tock... is that a crocodile?

I'm sure others can think of other questions that help make the characters antsy!

We had one that sang Christmas carols. She got the whole bus going.
During the holidays, I make a special effort to thank cast members for working on a holiday. They're sacrificing family time to make my vacation special. I always thank the characters as well. I knew Goofy for awhile, and he had some crazy stories.

To those that rent strollers: Please, return them. Don't leave them in the back of the park for a cast member to find and return to the stroller location at park close. This also goes for wheelchairs.

As a sidebar. I LOVE Disney transport. They do a better job than many city bus systems do.

I once picked on a Disney security guy named Chip. I asked him where Dale was. He finished looking at my bag and said, "you need to come with me." I was shocked. But he walked me over to Dale. Pretty fun stuff.

The comment on Goofy reminds me of something. In our small airport, there's one TSA agent that always says to us, "Oh you're going to Orlando? Say hello to my brother Goofy." It's always the same silly line, but it always puts a smile on our faces.

I guess the related tip would be to remember that your vacation starts before you get to WDW and there are a lot of other folks that work hard to make your trip a good one so make sure those manners and kindness everyone mentions get put to use then, too.

We usually wind up with a few extra fastpasses. I love the reaction you get when you offer them to someone who is about to enter a long standby line. Spreading the pixie dust is a great way to end the day. :cloud9:

I love doing this too!

I just thought of another tip. If you are traveling with teenagers, and other adults, set a central meeting location in each park in case you get seperated. I don't know how many times a day someone came up to me looking for another adult family member, and there wasn't anything I could really do. I did let a lady use my cell phone once because hers was dead. Cast members will take children who can't find their parents to baby care, and security will help find the parents. Adults, are sometimes SOL!!! It only takes a second to get seperated from the rest of your party. Example, stop to tie your shoe, and they don't hear you! I always use the flag pole as my meeting place.

I just thought of another tip. If you are traveling with teenagers, and other adults, set a central meeting location in each park in case you get seperated. I don't know how many times a day someone came up to me looking for another adult family member, and there wasn't anything I could really do. I did let a lady use my cell phone once because hers was dead. Cast members will take children who can't find their parents to baby care, and security will help find the parents. Adults, are sometimes SOL!!! It only takes a second to get seperated from the rest of your party. Example, stop to tie your shoe, and they don't hear you! I always use the flag pole as my meeting place.

Did you know they have a message service at City Hall? Just go in and say you have a message for So and So. It could be "We are eating at Crystal Palace at noon", or whatever. When So and So identifies themselves at City Hall, they will be given the message.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter