To the CM's on the board: what is the one "tip" you can give us?

I always like to focus on "how things work" at WDW. Everything we do is done on a grand scale, so here are some tid bits, which can help you understand why things don't always go according to plan. These are based on WDW transportation:

1. The buses do not simply shuttle point A to point B. A bus will pick up guests at PoP century and take them to DHS. While approaching DHS, the bus driver contacts dispatch and dispatch advises what the next destination will be. Therefore, the bus carrying pop century guests might pull into the POR slot at DHS and pick up guests there. Although it looks like everyone on that bus came from POR, they in fact came from POP Century.

Part of this system is computerized. Of course we all LOVE computers because they are never wrong and never cause a problem right? So when a computer messes up or a dispatcher doesn't have their head on straight, you end up waiting 40 minutes for a bus. It could also be that a bus has multiple stops scheduled and fills up on the first stop. Therefore another bus has to be dispatched to stop number 2, causing yet another delay.

I'll be completely honest, I HATE the buses. I have had quite a few bad experiences as a guest when using them and it's because of those experiences that I talked to a bus driver at work one day and asked about this.

2. All the boats operate on a shuttle cycle. If a boat is tied up and secured at a dock, but the gate/rope is closed, you're not getting on that boat, so don't waste energy running towards it.

3. This is a universal tip to anyone visiting WDW. Although you might think you're the center of the world, you're not. Waiting for 1 more person, can mean ticking off the other people on the boat or even worse, 120 people waiting on the dock at our destination(this can apply to rides, shows, etc). So even though you want us to wait for you, don't take it personally if we don't. Once we set in motion the "casting off" procedure, we are not going to stop it.

4. opening a gate on your own, jumping a gate, or ducking ropes are the quickest way to make sure you don't get on the next boat. I am not kidding, if I see another kid jump a closed gate thinking he will get on my boat, I will sssooo make him go to the back of the line.

I don't mean for this to be a negative post, but I want to stress that Disney transportation is MASS TRANSPORTATION! It's not quick, it will never be quick, so get over it. If you want to watch the fireworks, then don't be on the dock at 8:00 waiting for a boat and complain about it when you can't watch them. If you have a hoop de doo reservation at 9:30 don't be on the dock at 9:15 at MK and expect to get there on time and be mad when it takes longer.

There are multiple operational hazards we go through every night. That wonderful electrical water pageant effectively stops all water traffic from 9:25-9:32ish and from 10:15-10:20ish because it goes through the water bridge during that time. We can't dock when it's performing, we can't leave when it's performing, and we can't be within 150 ft of it at anytime.

When ferryboats come through the water bridge from dry dock, we have to wait. If the ferry is by the contemporary, it issues an all call to hold traffic. We then have to sit while it gets all the way through the bridge before proceeding.

When the water level is low(like it is now) we have 3 routes operating off 2 docks. That means someone is gonna be waiting for an open dock, which throws off our cycles.

These are all things we deal with on a consistent basis and I know every other aspect of WDW has the same issues to put up with. They are things that are 99% out of our control. Yet we do our best to be as efficient as possible. For me, understanding why things happen helps me calm down when I'm upset. That's the reason why, when I know a delay has been very long, as the captain I will get on the mic and offer any guest the opportunity to talk with me about the delay. Not everyone does this and in fact I might be the only one, but I strongly believe that education yields understanding.

Now, what can you do to help your expectations? Be nice to the CMs who are transporting you. I have seen this theme multiple times in this thread and it really is true.

So be nice to CMs, and be patient!!! I have had many guests be friendly to me and it really really helps my day. So to all of you who have done that, I sincerely say thank you. Sometimes it's that funny little comment about the "cows in the pen" at the ferryboat that can cheer me up and make me laugh. That's infectious and effects the rest of my day!

Thanks zulemara for your post! I really enjoyed reading it and it didn't come across as negative. It was very informative & I appreciate your time in writing it. Alot of what you wrote about is common sense but we all know that is sometimes lacking in the public, esp the public on vacation!

Thanks for all you do as a CM. My family, who will ONLY vacation in the World or on DCL, appreciates all of the CM we meet!:banana:

PS: What is the "cows in the pen" comment that makes you laugh?

Zulamera- I worked for seven years on harbor cruise boats in Boston and your post is right on :thumbsup2 While, it wasn't Disney, we still had a very varied schedule which included commuter and airport runs, tourist and booze cruises, whale watches, and an national park ferry run.

Your comments sounded like something that I could have written, except it would be a LNG tanker tha would stop traffic instead of the water parade...and a busy sat night would leave us stranded with to many boats waiting for the same slip. I certainly didn't view your post as negative, infact you spoke the truth...

The main thing that (still) irks me, is sometimes people forget that we needed to do things to ensure SAFETY first. They always seemed to think that we WANTED to screw up their day or itinerary.

Thank you for posting the things that affect your trip, ie water level etc. I love hearing random facts like that and you are right, "most" people tend to chill if they understand that the situation is beyond your control.

Not a CM (wish I was!!), but here's my tip:

When you are making your touring plans, plan twice as much time as you think you'll need to get from point A to point B. That way you won't be rushing and you'll have time to enjoy all the wonderful details that Disney is known for.:thumbsup2

SHHH... don't let anyone else on this secret. I feel like I save a lot of time doing this... it's only a couple of minutes but still, I love taking advantage of a situation while not breaking any rules just because someone wasn't paying attention.

I like the second tip too! People don't know, I'm not breaking any rules, but I am going to move all the way forward!
We are also goint in September, is this a good time to go??

Heres a few more I thought of:) :

-When your at the MK if you dont feel like going all the way back to your hotel for a rest he Contempoary is a good place to rest:thumbsup2

-If you dont mind missing out on seeing Tinker Bell, Wishes can be enjoyed from outside MK. The crowds for Wishes can get crazy in the park so sometimes its nice to be outside watching with less crowds

I just finished reading this entire thread and learned a few things that I did not know but am astonished that the very best tip has not been posted yet.

CM's just love to be asked, "What time is the 3 o'clock parade"?:rotfl:

Slightly Goofy

Don't self seat yourself at table service restaurants, especially if they aren't even open yet and CM's are setting it up! This happens so much!

About the only one I have that I can think of is try to go to big rides at the very last minutes before the park is closing. For one, lots of the coasters and such are so much fun at night. But more importantly, whoever is already left in the park that late is now heading out or finishing last minute things like shopping or picking up their items at the front.

We were able to ride EE about 4 times in about 15 minutes within the last 1/2 hour of AK closing for the night because all we had to do was walk through the queues- literally no line at all! It helped that it was a late (not EMH) night at AK already.

And one more little thought from a cast member's side if it hasn't been discusses already. Some of us are working at WDW because it's a job. But some of us really, REALLY love Disney and want to offer some fantastic guest service when we can. That being said, if a CM really outdoes themselves, makes your trip "magical," etc., speak to a manager or front desk of the restaurant or what have you. You can fill out a "Guest Service Fanatic" card for that CM. It goes on their record card, often times managers will praise them at a pre-day meeting, and they might even get a reward out of it. It is a really great feeling for a CM. Thanks.

OXX

I can totally agree with poster #159 about slowing down in the parks and taking time to look around and talk with the CMs. 2 examples: while waiting for our Tony's ADR to be called, we were wandering around the Kodak shop and found some staff to chat with; my DS, who was 20 at the time, was saying how he liked Robin Hood in answer to their question about his favorite character....and a few minutes later, here comes Robin Hood down the hall! Needless to say we got a fabulous photo opp with a character we don't see around much. second one was going through the character photos in EPCOT right after rope drop. Whe ended the "circuit" and were standing around talking when here comes Snow White and Dopey:goodvibesDD and DS had a blast and Snow White chatted/flirted for a few minutes until a crowd started to gather. It was amazing how rude and discourteous the crowd became and soon Snow White and Dopey left. I can see why the characters prefer one-on-one with polite guests. Just something to think about.

5) When you do have a complaint, don't be loud or agressive...be calm even when you are annoyed. There is nothing wrong with being persistant if a problem isn't being resolved satisfactorly, but there's no need to be an a$$. Disney prides itself on customer service, and while you might not get exactly what you want, they will do their best to help you out.

SkierPete

:worship::worship::worship:

I work at guest relations and THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart for bringing that up! I am more than happy to give the sun and the moon to people who are calm and nice when getting issues resolved! I try to go above and beyond for everyone, but when you are nice to us it makes a world of difference!

The number one tip I have for people as a cast member Is to take a few minutes at the end of your day to stop by guest relations and praise those special cast members that have gone above and beyond for you! Ask to fill out an “aplauseagram” which is given to the cast member! It is a great feeling to fill them out for other great CMs and it makes my day as a CM to help out guests who have had great interactions with our CMS!

Another tip that has saved countless children from many tears when their parents get lost is to teach your children your cell phone number so if they get separated from you we can call you once they come to guest relations.

Try to be patient at the outside food stands, including the ice cream carts. Most of the time the lines are a bit slower due to the fact that the tablets are wireless and lag like crazy. Also, know what you want before you get up to the CM, it makes the process SO much faster! :thumbsup2

If there is a long line at the cart, please don't insult the intelligence of the CM working the cart. Food and Beverage is not "where they stick the idiots" or the "people with no education". Many college program kids work there and to be honest F&B is the only place right now that's even hiring. Some of the smartest people I know work in F&B!

unless you are like our family. we are water snobs and can't stand tap water:snooty:. since my wife got me on bottled spring water, tap water or fountain drinks taste aweful to me.

And the Florida tap is NASTY!!!! We always take Country Time Lemonade packs to make it drinkable. However I always carry something bottled with me.

The little piece of paper basicly means 8 times out of 10 they're on a break, or on their way to break some one. . . . the other 2 times they're on some sort of other mission.

I was just playing around cause it seems every time I'm on my way to break that's when I get stopped by every guest in close proximity. Either to pin trade or wondering where the bathroom, etc. :rolleyes:

It REALLY isn't a problem or a gripe. Just joking around. I am ALWAYS more than willing to stop and help a guest whenever they need it. :goodvibes We all are. Even if we're technically on break. That doesn't mean we don't breathe a sigh of relief once we get backstage though. ;)

I'm glad you said something about it. I honestly didn't know and it is was beneficial to you CMs to mention it. I have learned something and make sure to keep it in mind for our next visit. I know you don't mind if someone stops you, but if you are suppose to relieve someone that is going on a much deserved break or going home after a long shift, that could effect that CMs day.

Thank you all!

We are also goint in September, is this a good time to go??

Yes, Sept. is a nice time to go. :thumbsup2

Another tip that has helped tons of people! If you are using the photopass system, be sure to take a picture of the back of your card with your digital camera. If the photopass gets lost, you can still look at the pictures that were on it by using that number.

Another tip that has helped tons of people! If you are using the photopass system, be sure to take a picture of the back of your card with your digital camera. If the photopass gets lost, you can still look at the pictures that were on it by using that number.

Wow! that's a great tip! I never would've thought to do that. We take a snapshot of our parking space sign so we don't forget where we parked and a snapshot of the kids so if we get separated they have a pic of them from that day in their clothes that they are wearing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter