To the CM's on the board: what is the one "tip" you can give us?

Tip from an ex- CM...

Orlando's weather is unpredictable. In the winter months it can go from 80 one day, to 40 the next day. I highly suggest bringing jeans, and a light jacket unless it is the summer.

No matter what you do to prevent it, children are going to be tired, and cranky at the end of the day, which makes the parents tired and cranky as well. Try not to let other people's bad attitudes ruin your evening. If you stay until closing, how about finding a nice quiet spot (example between the emporium and crystal palace), and treating your kids to an ice cream, or tell them a story after the fireworks have ended. Let the massive crowds leave, and then make your way out of the parks. You will then (hopefully) insure a seat on the monorail, and insure a seat on the bus back to the resort.

Everyone there is on vacation, everyone there has spent a lot of money to be there, and everyone there wants to have a great time. The thousands of people there want to see the fireworks just like you.

Stop, and smell the roses. Go with the flow. Stop, and sit down for awhile, and just people watch!

Try to get early ADRs for Crystal Palace one morning. Since you will already be in the park for rope drop, go to the front of the castle, and just watch the people running into the park. I promise, it is one of the most magical things I have ever witnessed at MK.

Be humble. There are people at Disney from all walks of life. Some are millionaires, and some have been saving for years, and years, and years just to be able to come for a few days. Two stories I will never forget are... The Big Brothers, and Big Sisters from Toronto Canada, flew down with over a hundred disadvantaged children. They took an early morning flight, went to MK for the day, and then flew back at 11 PM at night. Those children were so sweet, and were so thankful to be there. The sponsers had been doing fundraisers for over a year for the trip. To me, it was just magical to see these kids faces that would otherwise never be able to go to Disney as a child. They were so thankful for just one day at Disney. Another late night I was chatting with this wonder guest. She told me that it was her dream to take her 8 children to Disney. She was from Alabama, they drove through the night to make it to MK for rope drop, stayed the whole day, and drove straight back to Alabama. She started crying, and told me she wished she could do more, but the one day trip cost her family over 1000 dollars, and that is all she could do. Just then her little boy walked up to her, gave her a hug, and said, "mommy, this has been the best day of my life, thank-you". It was so sweet!

Disney is magical, but it can put people in a horrid mood. Just take the time to stop, clear your mind, and try to have the best time ever. If you need to go back to your resort for a nap, go. If you planned to get up early, but your exhausted, sleep in. If you want to stay for fireworks, but all the kids and your spouse are cranky, hot, and ready to leave, go back to the resort. Remember, it is your vacation!!

Not a CM (not for lack of trying), but my tip would be: Don't ruin other people's ride experience. No flash photography, don't yell out things you learned from the Keys to the Kingdom (or whatever) tour. Keep the magic up for other people who shelled out just as much as you did (or more) to go to Disney for a while.

And I agree - spread pixie dust.

I still remember the guy from 2006 who gave my father and me Fastpasses to ride RnRc. I had never been on it before, and it was amazing. That guy was awesome, and I wish I could give him a hug.

gk90 Thanks for sharing the thread with the Beverly faces. It gave me a good chuckle. I so love to watch people in new situations.

Nope... the real baobob tree is on the left in front of Kusafari Bakery (if you are looking at safaris). It has a painted white trunk.

The tree on your right, with the gourds hanging down is a sausage tree (Kigelia). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sausage_tree
Some of the dried gourds actually hang on the Pangani Forest Tail where the meerkats are.

My Cast Member Tip:

Do Not Try to See Everything In One Trip. It will not be fun and you will run yourself dead.

Thank you for the info!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in our society we go to the right because that is how we drive, not because we are right hand dominant. My understanding is in England, people automaticly turn left, because they drive on the left hand side of the road. The same applies with turning right more than left. If one turns left here, they have to cross a line of traffic. In a chase situation it could be quite hazzardous. So, since we are used to keeping to the right, thats what we do, whether driving, or lining up for lunch.:goodvibes

PamPam, I am from England and have been reading these posts thinking " well I always left not right" this proving your thoughts are probably correct:thumbsup2

Ditch the schedule.

I've seen so many people rushing to get here or there and have heard people talking about how we have to get on this so we can get to that.

We have had excellent experiences with CM's and charactors because we simply slow down a little and enjoyed the park.

Unfortunately some of us can't go to WDW very often :sad1::sad:, so we have to follow some form of a schedule if we want to get what we consider our money's worth. Don't get me wrong, I don't go all "commando":drive::hyper2:, but I do have a plan and try to stick to it, as long as the family is okay with it!:goofy:::MinnieMo:stitch::tinker:(my family & me!)

I am a former CM and I have a tip regarding Lecellier Steakhouse @ Epcot. If you are unable to get an ADR for Lunch or Dinner. Try going right at 11:30 for lunch as that is the best time to try for a Walkin. For dinner it would be right at 4:00. It's not always a guarantee that they will be doing walkins but it is your best chance!!!

A CM's note to parents (meant with love):

Try to remember why you came. I can imagine it was for your kids.
If your kid doesn't want to ride something, don't make them.
If your kid doesn't want to see a character, don't do make them.
(remember, if it was really YOU that wanted to ride the ride, or see the character there's a wonderful rider swap program and NO CM is going to turn away an adult wanting their pic or autograph with a character! :) )
And if their tired and cranky, rest a spell.

I am always sad to see all the parents yelling at their kids. :( Or seeing the overstretched and tired kid screaming in their stoller. Now, I know it can get hot and frustrating and things can go wrong and sometimes parents just snap (I'm a mom too) but I think when it all comes down to it then your kids having a good time and being happy should be alot more important than cramming every ride in a day.

I know sometimes it's a guests only time, or they don't get to come all the time, but I would think a vacation where everyone is happy and not stressed and got to ride a few rides would make the better memories than the one where every ride got ridden and everyone got ran ragged because of it.

I know ALOT of money goes in to a Disney vacation but I would rather pay for QUALITY not QUANTITY.

To parents and everyone else:

Disney is rich with "the little things", small activities you can do throughout the day to take a mini break and relax.

Go get a Dole whip in Adventureland. (YUM)

Eat lunch at Casy's or an ice cream cone at the parlor and sit at one of the outside tables, there's nothing like eating lunch or an ice cream while relaxing with a beautiful view of the castle.

Do Story time with Belle.

Visit Club Cool at Epcot.

Walk through the rose gardens to get to World Showcase instead of the main bridge.

Eat lunch at Flame Tree BBQ, they have one of the best outdoor seating areas on property. Sit and enjoy your lunch with a magnificent view of Expedition Everest.

American Idle Experience is a great air conditioned break with entertainment.

Oh and maybe I should throw in:

If you see a CM walking with a small white piece of paper. Leave them alone. lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter